Corsair Community

CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10 w/o heat spreader

JKeifer

For the life of me I can't figure out how to search the forum for related posts, so I will start another one.

I recently had to remove an H80i cooler and replaced it with a honking big Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 air cooler. The cooler, of course, had an interference fit with the 64GB of installed memory. I could either cut back the amount of memory I had installed or try and remove the heat spreaders and hope for the best.

I tried the latter, carefully removing the aluminum heat sinks, and have the system up and running and seemingly stable at 1866 Mhz with memory temperatures (as reported by Intel Desktop Utilities) around 36 degrees C when the computer is loaded with a memory voltage of 1.512v.

I am sure what I've done is a no-no (at least from a warranty perspective) but wanted to find out what issues, if any, others have experienced by removing the heat spreaders.

In any event, this is a fantastic memory product!!

I am sure what I've done is a no-no (at least from a warranty perspective) but wanted to find out what issues, if any, others have experienced by removing the heat spreaders.

Yeah, that voided any warranty you would have had. As far as stability goes , all you can do is hope you don't have any issues down the road. There is just no way to predict how , when or if they will fail.

Archived