Corsair Community

VS512MB400 problems

I have 2 VS512MB400C3 DIMMs in my Shuttel XPC which has a FB61 Mainboard with an Intel 2.8GHz 800MHz FSB.

I already had one of these replaced (which fixed a problem with the system posting). My system has been booting fine for some time, but recently my system has been bluescreening and crashing to the desktop on multiple games.

I am running the memory in dual channel mode, and here is where I think my problem lies. I have a feeling that the new memory and the original memory are a little bit off on their timing performance.

I removed one of the DIMMs, and all of my bluescreens and crashes go away. I noticed that my BIOS was detecting the Active Precharge Delay differently between the two chips. One was auto detecting at 8 and the other at 7.

I went ahead and followed your suggested settings from another post. I manually set the settings to CAS 2.5, APD 8, RAS to CAS delay to 4, and RAS Precharge to 4.

After properly setting all of my BIOS settings I ran Memtest 3.1. I consistantly get 80 errors on test #5 (Block move, 64 moves, Cache).

I went ahead and ran the test on each individual DIMM and one passed with flying colors, and the other came up with 10 errors on test 5.

It looks like I might have a mismatched set and or a bad DIMM.

Please Help.

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS installed in your MB and load optimized/optimal default settings, and try the following BIOS settings.;

Advanced Chipset:

Memclock Mode: Manual (400)

Bank Interleaving: 4/Enabled

Burst Lenght: 4

SDRAM CAS Latency: 3T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T

Frequency Voltage Control:

Spread Spectrum: Enabled

CPU FSB Clock: 200

DDR Voltage: 2.7/2.75 Volts

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

I am running the latest BIOS and I adjusted all of the settings. I already did this in the first post on this thread. Setting the CAS to 3 locks up my system (will not POST).

I read multiple posts on your forum and tried just about everything.

• Corsair Employees
So I am assuming you have set the DIMM voltage as well to 2.7/2.75 volts, if that is the case then lets get them modules replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived