Corsair Community

Corsair F120 decided to die.

MiiX

Hello,

I have had my Corsair F120 for over 5 years now. It has been one of the most reliable SSD I'v had in the past 5 years, it has been used for storage and OS drive, as has been nothing else than flawless, but now it seems to have met the wall...

I tried today to set it up in my PC but couldn't get the drive working, not BIOS, not anything. the drive has been unused for a bit over a month, and has been laying in the original packing in my closet(of hardware :D:) I can remember the SSD had a little trouble starting up on my laptop, but that was a BIOS bug on the laptop itself and I don't think that the laptop could have damaged the drive(?)

So I'm hoping that there is someone that has a good way of checking if its dead or if there is any hope for fixing it.

Warranty is not an option as the F120 comes with 5 years.

-MiiX

The exact same thing happened to me just now... I turned on my computer today which was working fine for me yesterday and found the drive no longer being detected in the BIOS. Mine only lasted around 2 years. (I didn't know this drive came out 5 years ago? Wow, that's old...)

Could there be a way of possibly recovering it to maybe buy another exact same SSD by switching over and resoldering a PCB or something?

Tried it in three PC's, tried different ports and USB->SATA devices as well on each PC...

I guess there were nothing that I could do... A shame, but all in all, awesome drive. Will take a look inside it if no one has anything I can try.

There is no real ay to answer your question without the drive going through a detailed failure analysis. Parts do wear out. Whether they are a mechanical or electrical device, they will eventually die. Electrical circuits get weak over time and will eventually go to ground and short out. Which looks to be the case here. But again , without a detailed looksee, it's just a total guess! :)

Managing to get five years out of it is awesome.

There is no real ay to answer your question without the drive going through a detailed failure analysis. Parts do wear out. Whether they are a mechanical or electrical device, they will eventually die. Electrical circuits get weak over time and will eventually go to ground and short out. Which looks to be the case here. But again , without a detailed looksee, it's just a total guess! :)

Managing to get five years out of it is awesome.

Ye, I know its a complicated process to do this, and its not something I want to be done. Just in case someone knew what caused this. :)

And ye, getting 5 year out of this SSD has been awesome, didn't expect it to live that long to be honest. It has not been the drive I was to careful about using to almost everything and everywhere. I do have two Force GT's running on another computer for 1.5 years now without any problems so far.

Archived