Corsair Community

Odd compatibility issues - Corsair XMS & Z87

BMW

Hi all,

I have the Asus Z87 Deluxe/Dual board with an i7 4770K CPU and am using 2yr old RAM :

Corsair 1600MHz XMS 9-9-9-24 1.65v 4 x 4GB

It defaults to 1333MHz in the BIOS, but when I switch XMP on (which uses the correct timings as above) it fails to complete Prime95 Blend test (fails on first iteration). If I disable XMP and leave the RAM on 1333MHz I can (so far for 1hr) pass Prime95 without issue.

It's not an odd compatibility issue really. The XMP profiles in your two year old RAM in all reality do not have the correct XMP settings for your new board. There are other settings besides voltage and timings that are changed when you enable the XMP profile.

However with the new board you should be able to set everything manually and be just fine.

No, they should all be visible if you watch them closely. Thats why I suggested to just set them manually and forgo the XMP profile all together.

Possibly CPU voltage, memory controller voltage (may be VCCIO in your BIOS or something similar.)memory voltage, to name a couple. Some profiles will even change BCLK.

Archived