Corsair Community

Event Viewer defrag message

ltwally

My new Windows 7 machine has a Neutron GTX 120 (C:), but also a hard disk (D:), so I do not altogether disable the disk defragmenter. However, it does have a custom schedule, which defrags only the hard disk (D:).

Imagine my surprise when I saw this in the Event Viewer:

Source: Defrag

Event ID: 258

Notes: The disk defragmenter successfully completed boot optimization on System (C:)

Anyone know anything about this? Or, more importantly, how to stop it from happening?

Thanks

Update: Found the fix. See below for details...

You just need to reassign the defrag to run on the D drive instead of the C drive

Go to Control Panel>Administrative tools>Defragment Hardrive>Configure Schedule>From there you should be able to configure both discs the way you want.

EDIT:

Are you by any chance getting a message saying: Disk Defragmenter was scheduled using another program?

You just need to reassign the defrag to run on the D drive instead of the C drive

Go to Control Panel>Administrative tools>Defragment Hardrive>Configure Schedule>From there you should be able to configure both discs the way you want.

EDIT:

Are you by any chance getting a message saying: Disk Defragmenter was scheduled using another program?

Thank you for your reply.

As I believe I mentioned in my original post: the SSD (C:) is not set to defrag. Only the Hard Disk (D:) is set to defrag.

As well, you'll note that the event message is: "The disk defragmenter successfully completed boot optimization on System (C:)"

(emphasis mine)

Whereas the regular defragment message reads: "The disk defragmenter successfully completed defragmentation on Data (D:)"

Which brings me back to: What is triggering this "boot optimzation" defragment job on C:, and how do I stop it...???

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
I spent some more time with Google, eventually stumbling across this:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/157352-defragment-boot-files-enable-disable.html

I will keep an eye on my Event Log, and report back if this takes care of it.

After three weeks, I have not seen a single instance of it defragmenting my boot files. I believe the above fix took care of it.

Everyone that uses a SSD for a system drive and a traditional HDD for data might want to consider this fix.

Archived