Corsair Community

bad stick of ValueSelect memory

brentdc9

Hello,

I purchased two sticks of VS512MB266 ValueSelect memory (lot: 03520110) from Fry's about 3 months ago. Recently, due to numerous system crashes, I ran Memtest-86. I found thousands of errors in one of the memory modules. When removed, Memtest-86 indicates no errors.

I am running an AthlonXP 1800+ (FSB 266MHz) in a Soyo K7V Dragon+ with the latest bios and no overclocking. DRAM settings are below.

DRAM clock: 133MHz

DRAM timing: "by speed"

TRAS: 6T

Queue depth: 4 level

Write recovery: 2T

Command rate: 2T command

DQS length: Default

I think I need a replacement memory stick. Please let me know what additional information you need.

Thank you,

Brent

Wired,

I don't have those values for the memory timings. Here's what I do have:

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2, 2.5

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T, 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T, 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T, 6T

Which ones should I select?

Thanks,

Brent

Hmmm, the errors only seem to occur when 2 memory sticks are installed. When run individually, neither stick generates any errors using memtest-86. Do you think the problem could be a bios setting? The bank interleave setting is disabled.

Thanks,

Brent

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB and load optimized defaults settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

CPU Freq: 133 MHz (266 FSB)

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: 133 MHz (266 FSB)

Memory Timing: Optimal/Auto/SPD/Enabled

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7 Volts

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Ram Guy,

I ran the test with the settings you suggested except for "DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7 Volts" I can only change Vcore voltage. Same results, ok with memory modules individually, errors with both sticks. The location of the memory in the 3 slots doesn't seem to have an effect either. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Brent

• Corsair Employees
Please double check all BIOS option and maybe they have the setting for the DDR voltage, you may want to check with SOYO as well. If you have any additional PCI cards plugged in to the system, please make sure that you don't have it on slot# 4, otherwise it will cause some problems to your system since it is sharing IRQ with the AGP card.

• 1 month later...

Archived