Corsair Community

CMX512-3200LL 1 of 3 Bad

joetodd

Hi, I have 3 CMX512-3200LL modules in a MS-6590 MB. The system was rock solid for about 1 year then started having memory issues (Linux reporting segmentation faults). Ran MEMTEST86 v3.0 and got consistent failures on test 5. Removed all modules and inserted one at a time to find the single one with errors. This modules consistently fails MEMTEST86 test 5 when in the system either alone or with one or two of the other modules.

Memory: CMX512-3200LL

MOBO: MSI MS-6590

BIOS: AMI-BIOS V1.3 (the latest available)

CPU: AMD 2800XP

SDRAM timing: SPD - Frequency 333mhz

SDRAM Voltage: failures at both "auto" and 2.7v

CPU FSB: 166mhz

Thanks,

Joe

Do you have the latest BIOS installed on your MB and please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

The BIOS is the latest and there are no special performance settings. I did try modifying the voltage when I discovered the bad module from AUTO to 2.7v. I saw a post here that said that might help, it didn't.

The version on the bad module is v1.1 the version on the working modules is v1.1 and v1.2.

From original post:

Memory: CMX512-3200LL

MOBO: MSI MS-6590

BIOS: AMI-BIOS V1.3 (the latest available)

CPU: AMD 2800XP

SDRAM timing: SPD - Frequency 333mhz

SDRAM Voltage: failures at both "auto" and 2.7v

CPU FSB: 166mhz

• Corsair Employees
You would need to set the memory Frequency at 100 % with this MB or will try and run the memory at DDR400 and may be why you are getting errors, in addition I would try and set the Rass to Cass to "3" or Cass 2-3-2-6 at DDR333 and see if the system is more stable

You would need to set the memory Frequency at 100 % with this MB or will try and run the memory at DDR400 and may be why you are getting errors, in addition I would try and set the Rass to Cass to "3" or Cass 2-3-2-6 at DDR333 and see if the system is more stable

I tried the above settings and still have failures on the module. Again, I'd like to point out I have two other sticks of exactly the same model that work fine with any settings I use. This one module fails when in the system alone, or with one or both of the other sticks. I'm assuming I have a bad module?

Archived