Corsair Community

HX850 possible mulfunction

Ianes

So yesterday evening, all of a sudden, my computer shuts down. My first thought was the power went out, but then i noticed the monitor is still on. I try to start it again, nothing, not a peep. I then turn the PSU off, wait a while, and give it another go. Still nothing.

I then decided to just give it a rest, and ill give it another shot this morning. However, this time i played around with it a bit. I unplugged the PCIe connectors from the GPU (a 7950), and it booted (tho i didn't have the picture obviously, and there were chassis speaker beeps, but im guessing that's normal if you dont plug the GPU properly). I then plugged the GPU power back in, and bam, again nothing happens. I repeated this 2x, so it was not an isolated thing. I did notice that when the GPU power is properly plugged in (and the PC doesn't start), the CPU cooler fan would move slightly upon pressing the PC power button, like 2 centimeters or so, then stop.

So, looking for opinions...should I just request a PSU RMA from Corsair, or is there any possibility of something else going on here?

I'm not sure I'm comfortable trying other hardware out with this PSU, as it is my understanding a faulty PSU can kill other components, but other components cannot kill a PSU (unless you were over burdening it).

Okay, since I really didnt wanna spend 25€ on sending a good PSU to RMA, i've tried two things:

1. I used a CX500 on my system. Same thing. I then switched the GPU with my old 4890, and it booted, picture and everything.

2. Since i wanted to be absolutely sure, I then put my 7950 into my brother's PC, which has a TX650, more than enough to power a single 7950. And yeah, again, it didnt boot.

I have to say, I'm extremely confused as to what's going on now. I'd never have suspected a pluggled GPU of failure to boot the system...

That said, even so i'm not sure the PSU isnt to blame. My 7950 has already been RMA'd once, can i really be sure the PSU didnt kill it?

Here's the links to 2 topics i posted on linustechtips regarding some of the issues i had that may or may not be of interest.

Topic 1

Topic 2

The issues from topic 2 have dissapeared however, since june 15. Only an occasional system freeze with looping sound, like 2-3x a month, nothing really annoying. I have however noticed another thing with the 2nd 7950, when under high load (in newer games, doesnt happen in WoW for example), it starts emitting a strange noise, that i assume is the infamous "coil whine", but i cant really be sure as i've never had it before on any other system.

I have to say, I'm extremely confused as to what's going on now. I'd never have suspected a pluggled GPU of failure to boot the system...

That said, even so i'm not sure the PSU isnt to blame. My 7950 has already been RMA'd once, can i really be sure the PSU didnt kill it?

Here's the links to 2 topics i posted on linustechtips regarding some of the issues i had that may or may not be of interest.

This is cut and dry. It's not your PSU. I'm sorry to say i honestly believe you have third bad GPU. There is no way it can be your PSU if you used a different PSU with the same card in another system. The only other possibility would be your MB. Highly unlikely though.

But there isn't anything that points towards a PSU as your problems.

As far as the possible coil whine goes, you need to get the GPU issue solved first and see if you get the same results.

Well, technically the two GPU's didnt fail in the same fashion. The first one stopped sending signal to the monitor when in games (or sent a faulty signal the monitor didnt like), more and more often (plus it was super loud, thanks for a faulty diode). This is the 2nd one.

I got a response from a corsair representative regarding latest info i provided. They seem to believe i should still RMA the PSU.

I'm incredibly divided on the issue however. There seem to be a number of posts on this very forum of people getting faulty stuff from the RMA as well. The ****tiest possible thing that could happen is me spending money, sending a perfectly functioning PSU for RMA, and getting a broken one back, having wasted 2+ weeks.

There's 2 reasons i'm still thinking sending it to RMA might be a good idea though:

1. I'm not gonna be able to show my face at the place i bought the GPU at if the 3rd one fails (because of a PSU)

2. I could have sworn i saw a spark fly out of the back grill when i first turned it back on after the original PC power failure, but im not 100% sure.

I got a response from a corsair representative regarding latest info i provided. They seem to believe i should still RMA the PSU.

They will every time too. They would rather play it safe than take the chance. I don't believe they really think the PSU is bad. But if it would ease your mind by all means do so.

I still don't think your PSU is killing GPU's. There just isn't anything there that would suggest other wise! Are the voltages in your BIOS abnormally high? Or abnormally low?

That would be about the only way your GPU's would be harmed by the PSU.

Have you checked them with a meter at idle and load conditions?

Abnormally high voltages would certainly fry a card, and abnormally low would make them perform pretty poorly or not at at all.

Archived