Corsair Community

Industrial Grade Ethylene Glycol for coolant?

MGCJerry

I'm not sure which of the Glycol family is used in computer water cooling system so I began wondering...

Would it be "safe" (chemically, and for pumps) to use a 50 x 50 mixture of pure water (distilled) and ethylene glycol (the bright red stuff, not the green stuff used in cars)?

Thoughts?

I'm not sure which of the Glycol family is used in computer water cooling system so I began wondering...

Would it be "safe" (chemically, and for pumps) to use a 50 x 50 mixture of pure water (distilled) and ethylene glycol (the bright red stuff, not the green stuff used in cars)?

Thoughts?

red NO for its a acid base chemical witch will not be friendly with aluinim

Evaluations of the two technologies to compare their respective service lives have found them comparable. In fact, a Ford Motor Company study concluded that organic acid coolants(RED) do not offer any significant advantages for the consumer over current North American coolants(GREEN). In a modern car with a well-maintained cooling system, current North American and OEM factory fill coolant corrosion protection can be extended far beyond previous expectations

Thanks for the replies KaptCrunch.

I figured that would be the case, but since I have access to some of the "red stuff", I wasnt sure if it "compatible" with a computer cooling system. However all my radiators on my intended cooling system are made of copper.

MGCJerry,

Using the EG based coolant will reduce the lubrication needed for the pump.

Using a 50/50 mix for the coolant will give you HIGHER temps and less cooling power.

There are many threads here that describe the 1/3 propylene glycol with 2/3 distill water mix for the coolant. If you deviate from this balance, your temps and noise will increase.

Archived