Corsair Community

SP120 PWM question

guma822

I recently saw that they finally released a PWM version of the SP120's. I currently have 2 SP120 HP's NO PWM, the 2 SP120L's from the H100i, and 3 AF120 HP's.

My question is, if I were to get the new versions of the SP120's with PWM, should I get the HP version, since I should now technically be able to lower the fan speed to what the QE offers? Wouldnt they have similar performance at this speed, but offer me the option to increase fan speed when needed?

And as a second question, if I get 2 of the PWM's, should I replace my non-PWM SP120's, or the SP120L's. The SP120L's are loud as hell at around 2000 rpm and I have the throttling cable on my SP120 HP's. I would really like to lower my comps idle volume. Right now since its summer my system is idle around 41C and around 50-55C under load. I have an 800D case and am overclocking my i7 950 to around 3.9 (with turbo).

And lastly, any chance of a PWM version of the AF120's and AF140's?

if your able to control fans using a controller such as the link then most any fan can be quiet,.i have 22 fans in 3 systems sitting within arms reach and all together they are virtually inaudible,,of course turning all 3 on at the same time does sound like a jumbo jet on takeoff but thats only for a few seconds...

• Corsair Employee

The Quiet edition fans are substantially lower air pressure and I would not suggest them with our cooler, just use the Included fans with the cooler.

Now for the SP fans that are PWM they will have roughly the same performance as the 3 pin fans only with better control so yes they will be a good replacement or choice.

And yes we have a whole line of PWM Fans in the works but I have no information as to when they will be available

cool, thank you for the info. I might just buy a pair of the HP PWM's to replace my non-PWM versions, and also keep the SP120L's. This way I have 4 PWM's on my H100i and I would like to have a semi quiet system when it's not under heavy load. I figure I might as well do this since I need to tear my system apart and see if I can get a replacement for my H100i. The LED's crapped out a few months ago and I've been stalling to have it replaced since its a huge pain in the behind

• Corsair Employee

NP and I am sorry to hear that but be sure to send the fans with the cooler when you get it replaced.

In fact when you are ready to get it replaced please call our Tech support and ask for me Ram Guy and I will help you get that worked out with the right fans

• 1 month later...
The Quiet edition fans are substantially lower air pressure and I would not suggest them with our cooler, just use the Included fans with the cooler.

Now for the SP fans that are PWM they will have roughly the same performance as the 3 pin fans only with better control so yes they will be a good replacement or choice.

And yes we have a whole line of PWM Fans in the works but I have no information as to when they will be available

Hi, I have the same issue, I just purchased an H100i and a pair of SP120 Quiet fans but to my surprise they are not PWM.

I don't want to use the stock H100i fans because they are VERY loud... plus, I want the Black/Blue color combination in my case.

I saw many reviews online where people use the SP120 Quiet edition on the H100i with great temps. What can I do?

Archived