Corsair Community

Carbide Air 540 Problems Dissuading a Potential Buyer

twax462

In the next month or so I will be purchasing and assembling a new computer for myself. While my old case has served me well, I am intending to replace it as well. I have been seriously considering a couple of Corsair cases as potential purchases, namely the 600t and the Air 540. While I am definitely liking the ideas that went into the design of the Air 540, I have to say that some of the problems that people are having with it are causing me to reconsider it, particularly the problem of the USB 3.0 cables not reaching the appropriate connector on a lot of motherboards. That being said, I am curious as to how this problem is being addressed. From what I've gathered from these forums, it sounds as if most of the people who are having this problem are filling out RMA's and are likely getting some sort of solution that way. However, I have to say that as a potential buyer that is seriously dissuading me from purchasing this case. Are my impressions correct? I honestly don't want to purchase the case and then have to wait however long for an RMA so that I can put my new system together. Are there plans for a new revision or some sort of pre-emptive fix?

Also, I've considered purchasing the 600t. However, one of the factors that has me hedging on that particular case is the fact that I'm also intending on using an H100i to cool my cpu and I don't really like the idea of mounting the radiator on the top and having the fans on the outside of the case. I don't mention this expecting any sort of response, but more for the purpose of offering consumer feedback.

Any help regarding what I mentioned about the Air 540 would be greatly appreciated.

Trust me, they are on it already! I'm sure they are working on both replacements and correcting the issue at the manufacturing level. The only thing I haven't heard is whether or not this was a isolated batch or not. I would have to assume so given all the great reviews the case is getting. Obviously those cases didn't have any problems. That , and these forums would be absolutely flooded. Which they are not.

What usually happens is that once they have the correct replacements they are provided free of charge. It usually involves starting an RMA and thats about it. You might also try calling them. It's possible they already have cable sets.

Also, I've considered purchasing the 600t. However, one of the factors that has me hedging on that particular case is the fact that I'm also intending on using an H100i to cool my cpu and I don't really like the idea of mounting the radiator on the top and having the fans on the outside of the case. I don't mention this expecting any sort of response, but more for the purpose of offering consumer feedback.

Why not? The fans still fit under the mesh and are not seen. You also don't have to ount fans in the top unless you were going push/pull. Then you have no choice.

Why not? The fans still fit under the mesh and are not seen. You also don't have to ount fans in the top unless you were going push/pull. Then you have no choice.

Well that confuses me a bit then. I was under the impression that the only way the h100i could be used with the 600t was if the radiator was mounted in the top with the fans on the outside. Most of the setups pictured in the h100 compatibility thread seem to be of this configuration. There is one that has it in push/pull with what appears to be the entire setup on the inside of the case but I was assuming this was extremely hardware dependent and most likely using thinner fans.

You do make a compelling case as far as my concerns regarding the Air 540. Think I could increase my chance for success at getting one of these non-PITA cases if I ordered directly from Corsair?

You do make a compelling case as far as my concerns regarding the Air 540. Think I could increase my chance for success at getting one of these non-PITA cases if I ordered directly from Corsair?

I would most certainly think so. They would have fresh stock before the other vendors.

Yeah, that's the kind of build that I've seen around on the net. Doesn't replacing the mesh significantly inhibit the fans' ability to cool the radiator though?

As TB pointed out the mesh is replaced back to it's original spot once the unit is fully installed.

• Corsair Employee

I've personally used both cases and I highly recommend the 540 Air if you have the space for it.

The short I/O panel and USB 3.0 cables will be addressed soon. We're just waiting for the replacement (longer) cables at the moment. ETA is less than a week. This problem only affect some motherboards which have the headers located at middle bottom of the board. So depending on which board you're going to use, you may not even have to replace the cables.

• 3 months later...

Hey there, as for twax462, I am also planning on buying the 540, but there is a slight problem, since I am about to buy one from one of the retailers that Corsair pointed out, will those be also covered by the RMA in case I get one of those from the loto batch ?

I had already had a problem with a product bought from the matrix, and the subsidiary not covering the warranty, therefore wanted to ask before buying it.

PS: For the info, the MB is a Crosshair V Formula-Z tried to check over the net for a build on the Air 540 but no luck so far :/

I have an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX in my Air 540, which is very close in form factor to the Crosshair. Here's thread on that build.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=123043

I have another Air 540 inbound, and a Crosshair arrived today. I'll be doing a complete water cooling build in the new 540, and will post some pictures as I progress. That will probably be after the first of the year, as I have some Rodeo Conferences to attend in the next few weeks.

RodeoGeorge

I have an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX in my Air 540, which is very close in form factor to the Crosshair. Here's thread on that build.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=123043

I have another Air 540 inbound, and a Crosshair arrived today. I'll be doing a complete water cooling build in the new 540, and will post some pictures as I progress. That will probably be after the first of the year, as I have some Rodeo Conferences to attend in the next few weeks.

RodeoGeorge

Hey there Rodeo,

Thanks for the reply! I believe I will only be able to start playing around with it when you start the build, if you could get a build log in the forum, or keep me on the loop for that test I would really appreciate!

Btw, nice pics of the Sabertooth build! Although since the Crosshair has some red-leds on it, I will try to keep mine red/black :)

Archived