Corsair Community

VS512MB400 Test 5 Memtest 86 errors = deffective RAM?

furiousangel

Hi,

I've just upgraded my system with an upgrade package from Komplett.co.uk. The package included -

K8N Neo Platinum Mobo

Athlon 64 3200

And a stick of VS512MB400 Corsair RAM

(And just for good measure I got a Sapphire Radeon 9800 128MB Atlantis).

After having these fitted and doing a fresh install of Windows XP I started getting quite a few problems -

1)Random blue screen crashes.These happen at totaly random times and try as I might I can't get the machine to repeat a crash by repeating what I was doing when the previous one occurred.

2) Very occasional system freezes. Windows locks up totaly, and I have to reboot.

3) Occasional errors while opening IE etc, and windows then closes them down.

:mad:

A friend advised me to run Memtest-86, which I did. The results were worrying. Every time Test 5 hit 98% complete I got loads of errors, generally numbering in the 100,000s. The number of errors varies slightly every time the test is run.

After reading a few posts on various forums I triedswapping the stick to different slots. Same result.

After checking these forums I discovered a post with an identical problem to me (http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30707&highlight=platinum). I followed the advice of switching voltage from auto to 2.7, and ran the test again. Again, I got the same errors.

Does this mean that I too have a defective stick of RAM? Do I therefore need to get it replaced, pref by Komplett.co.uk?

Thanks for your help!

Regards

James

My system consists of the above along with:

Seagate Barracuda 60Gb HD

350W PSU

Creative CD/RW 12/10/32

Samsung DVD/R

Windows XP - All updates and fixes inc SP1 and SP2

Latest Nforce drives for mobo.

Latest Bios update for mobo.

Latest Catalyst drivers for Radeon 9800.

(All the drivers where downloaded in the last 3 days).

• Corsair Employee

I would suggest you test the module on another system if you can to be sure. However, I would not have a problem replacing your module if you like.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived