Corsair Community

VS512MB400C3 not working on Dell 4600

satchi

Hi, I just bought this 1GB Memory Module Kit from Corsair recently and it doesn't seem to be working on my Dell 4600 P4 3.0Ghz computer.

The ram comes in two sticks of 512mb, VS512MB400C3 (PC3200, 400mhz, C3), and when I try sticking these into the computer and turning it on, it gives 5 beeps and nothing boots up, no HD activity, no monitor...etc.

I tried all these configurations and still no avail:

- placing both Corsair sticks in DIMM 1 and DIMM 2 slots

- placing one Corsair stick in DIMM 1 slot

- placing one non-Corsair stick in DIMM 1 slot and Corsair stick in DIMM 2 slot

- placing non-Corsair stick in DIMM 1 & 2 slots, and Corsair sticks in DIMM 3 and 4 slots

- placing both Corsair sticks in DIMM 3 and 4 slots

The non-Corsair are the original memory that was working and are PC2700, C2.5, two sticks of 128mb each.

I don't know how to check what type of motherboard i have for the Dell Dimension 4600 (purchased Sept 2003). I have tested the ram on another similar Dell model and the same beep comes up and no boot. When I place the original rams back in, it boots fine.

Help please....thanks.

satchi

• Corsair Employees
First thing, with this MB and or chipset you would not be able to mix memory, and I would suggest you update the firmware for your system and then try it with just our modules installed and see if the system will post. In addition, I would try and clear the bios if it still does not want too post and or try Our V.S. modules on another MB if you can. And you will have to be running a 800 FSB CPU to run DDR400, if you have a 533FSB CPU that may be why it's not posting! And the latest firmware should solve that if so!

First thing, with this MB and or chipset you would not be able to mix memory, and I would suggest you update the firmware for your system and then try it with just our modules installed and see if the system will post. In addition, I would try and clear the bios if it still does not want too post and or try Our V.S. modules on another MB if you can. And you will have to be running a 800 FSB CPU to run DDR400, if you have a 533FSB CPU that may be why it's not posting! And the latest firmware should solve that if so!

Hi. According to dell's specifications on my Dimension 4600 machine, it supports 800 FSB, but currently running at 533 FSB. I tried changing the speed in my BIOS but it doesn't let me. I updated the BIOS, but not quite sure how to update the chipset (system??).

Is there a specific way to change the FSB in the BIOS or if it's supported, does it change automatically? depending on the RAM you insert?

Ok I will try and see if my friend will let me test it w/ his computer.

Another thing I found out regarding my computer; this P4 3.06GHz processor runs at 533 FSB only. The thing I don't understand is why the RAM does not downclock to 333MHz because of this, assuming it is not defective that is.

• Corsair Employees
Well as I said previously the MB Bios would need to be able to decode the SPD. The Data is there in the SPD, but the bios needs to be able to decode this! And many of the OEM systems do not include all of the data needed to save space in the EPROM! But testing the modules in another system will help identify that. In addition, I would try this system with just our modules installed and unplug the power and try and clear the bios and see if it will post with just our modules!

I have tested the V.S. with just your modules installed. This includes the first, second, and fifth configurations on the list in my first post to this thread.

When you say clearing the BIOS w/ the Corsair memory installed, do you mean sticking in just the Corsair memory, turning on the computer w/ the error beeps, turning it off, and then turning it back on? I am not too familiar with how to clearing the BIOS.

I still haven't had a chance to test it on another system. I think i'll be able to try that this weekend or so.

Thanks,

Hi, ok I found out how to clear my BIOS, but the question is, do I clear it before or after I replace the RAM w/ just the Corsair sticks? It seems I would have to go into my CMOS and clear it from there, but the problem is that I can't get to my CMOS if the Corsair is installed.

Archived