Corsair Community

Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX3M4A1866C9) don't work at 1866 in windows 7 64bits

Pere Orriols

Hello, I built a new PC with Asus Z87 Deluxe motherboard, Intel i7 4770k processor, and Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX3M4A1866C9) memory. When I configure memories in bios to XMP 1866 and then I restart the computer, Windows 7 64 bits doesn’t work properly. Then, I restore the defaults values on the motherboard and it works properly, but my memories being working on 1333. So, my question is what I have to do to get memories on XMP 1866 on my pc running Windows 7 64 bits?

The first gen I7 did not do well with memory much above 1600mhz. I've never been able to get more than about 1700mhz with mine.

However make sure you manually set the memory voltage to 1.65v and QPI voltage to 1.45v. XMP may nt be setting them correctly for that particular MB.

Also please make sure you have the latest BIOS as well. And if the above adjustments do not work then manually set the frequency to 1600mhz and retest. If they are stable at 1600mhz and not 1866mhz then that is where your CPU is topping out and can not run the memory at it's rated speed.

Wait, I gave you the wrong information. I looked at the system in your config drop down. It's alwaays good to keep that up to date on the system your troubleshooting. Most of us go straight to them when looking at specific hardware combos

At any rate disregard my previous post.

With the new board please enable XMP and then manually set the memory voltage to 1.6v and see if it will pass memtest at 1866mhz that way.

Please test each module one at a time in the first slot with memtest86+. There is a link on the left for the download if you need it. Let each module run for a minimum of three pases or until you get an error. If you get errors then there is no point going any further.

If one errors, then the kit would need to be replaced. If they BOTH produce errors , it is most likely another issue. But lets see how they test out first.

• 1 month later...

Hello

This is what the blue screen says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

Memory-management

If this is the first time you're seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

-check to meke sure any new hardware of software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

-If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove o disable components, restard your computer, press F8 to select advenced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information: ***stop: 0X0000001A (0X0000000000041287, 0X0000000000000080, 0X0000000000000000,0X0000000000000000)

Collecting data for crash dump...

initializing disk for crash dump---

begining dump of physical memory.

dumping phisical memory to disk:100

Physical memory dump complete.

contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.

I've proven memory modules one by one and they all work correctly to XMP 1866.

I tried also to put two and two and also work correctly to XMP 1866.

But when I put the 4 modules, then the blue screen.

In the link you give me of the Corsair page, this memory listed as compatible.

Thanks again...

My PC

Z-87 deluxe>intel i7 4770k

BIOS version 1205

windows 7 , 64bits

I've proven memory modules one by one and they all work correctly to XMP 1866.

I tried also to put two and two and also work correctly to XMP 1866.

But when I put the 4 modules, then the blue screen.

At this point i don't believe the memory is your problem. This is looking more like a bad MB. You should probably get ASUS involved with this .

Since they all pass memtest at their rated speed then you can safely rule out the memory.

I asked the same question in Asus and tell me they are memories that give me the problem, perhaps are poorly programmed.

I looked at the list of compatible memory for asus motherboard z-87deluxe and I can see that the model (CMD16GX3M4A1866C9) has several versions, versions (4.13) and (8.16) are compatible, but the version that I have is not listed as compatible , can that be possible? could be that a version is compatible and not another?

Thanks...

I looked at the list of compatible memory for asus motherboard z-87deluxe and I can see that the model (CMD16GX3M4A1866C9) has several versions, versions (4.13) and (8.16) are compatible, but the version that I have is not listed as compatible , can that be possible? could be that a version is compatible and not another?

No it cant. It doesn't matter what version of those modules you have with that MB. They all would be compatible.

Have you asked ASUS support for help setting the memory since they seem to think it's memory related? I'm still not convinced!

Yes, I said to ASUS my problem with these memories, and said that can be a bad programming in memories, my problem is similar to the user mike36: it works fine at JEDEC spec 1333, but when i try to load xmp profile (1866 ) the system just dont start. when operating the 4 modules at 1866 XMP windows gives me a blue screen memory error.

Thanks for your patience.

I would like to solve this problem.

My PC

Corsair Graphite 600t Series

Asus Z87 Deluxe

Intel i7 4770K

Corsair Coolig Hydro H100i Series

Asus GeForce GTX 770 DC2OC-2GD5

Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX3M4A1866C9) 16GB (4X4)

Power Spply Corsair AX860i

SSD Corsair Neutron 256GB

HHD WD 1Tb

DVD Asus

have you tried the 1600 profile? that is the supposed max of your CPU. with all 4 at 1866 the CPUs memory controller may not handle it. but may and should handle 1600.

you wont see any difference between 1866 and 1600 except maybe in benchmarks but in real life i truly doubt it.

please give 1600 speed a go and let us know the results.

thanks.

Yes, I said to ASUS my problem with these memories, and said that can be a bad programming in memories,

LOL Really? They are grasping at straws!.

Pere, you always have the option to RMA the memory. I just don't believe it will make much difference. And if this is the case, then you'll want to get your board replaced.

Sorry Synthohol, and with all due respect,i really have to disagree with you on this one.

That chip should easily overclock to 1866mhz. It's k series chip with an unlocked multiplier and is meant to be overclocked. If it can't reach at least 1866mhz then there is something amiss somewhere. Most of them should be capable of at least 2133mhz.. There are even reports of 2400mhz being the sweet spot for the new Haswell series CPU's.

Since 1600mhz is native for that CPU i can't believe it wont overclock just that tiny bit. And if it won't then it should be returned or exchanged because why pay the money for chip meant to be overclocked if it won't overclock at all?

If the OP is still following this thread, I still believe this is a board or maybe even bent pins i the socket. But there are other troubleshooting steps that can be taken if your still interested.

I understand. All I'm getting at is that no matter how careful you are , you just don't know for sure. But bent pins are a good possibility.

Believe me, Synthohol and I have caught that problem on several occasions (Synthohol knows his stuff) with the OP also believing that it wasn't a possibility.

I may be totally wrong, but you won't know for sure unless you check and then you can check that off the troubleshooting checklist.

So is uneven pressure on your CPU cooler. If you have a heavy cooler it might be worth making sure the very top two are maybe just a tad tighter than the bottom ones so sagging doesn't smash the CPU into it's socket at the bottom effectively lessening or totally loosing contact on the top pins.

If you don't feel like taking a look thats okay. Then i would have the memory kit replaced and try another. If that still doesn't work then you have board or CPU problems. I would definitely check the CPU in this case if you don't in the mean time.

I don't disagree with Synthohol very much if ever, but this one should be an easy overclock for your system.

One other thing you can try is remove all the memory except just one stick and leave it in the first slot. Then go to your BIOS and enable XMP for 1866mhz. See if it will boot to windows . If it does shut down restart and then test that stick at with XMP enabled. Rinse and repeat for the remaining sticks.

Before starting to disassemble my PC, I have a question.

If the motherboard had a bent pin, when I am working normally, I would have some anomaly during my work session?. Because I have no problem, just not memory works to 1866. I have not unexpected reboots, no overheating. And memory test gives me right at 1333 and 1600 ...

If the motherboard had a bent pin, when I am working normally, I would have some anomaly during my work session?.

Nope, not necessarily. Other than memory issues it can act totally normal. All it takes is one pin to be be off. They can be straightened with a magnifying glass and a small pair of tweezers or even a pair of toothpicks works good since the wood is soft and wont scratch the surface finish on the pins.

You are more than welcome to leave your system as is if you wan't. But there is no reason , at least with the hardware you have, that you shouldn't be able to run 1866mhz memory unless some component is faulty. This is also why i suggested to RMA the memory first. It's the easiest to change. If a second kit still does the same thing , then think about inspecting the CPU socket.

At this point i would like to know which one is at fault. The symptoms are just not your normal memory symptoms. Personally, I'm really leaning towards the MB, but then again I have also seen the memory be at fault. Although only once or twice in this manor.

IF I may chime in here, those error code that windows is throwing at you point to the CPU. I would defo take a magnifying glasss and inspect the pin, and the pads on the CPU for Bridge {discolorations} markings. :cool:

I'm running the CMD16X3M4A2133C9's in my Asus RIVE with no issues. on xmp

I asked the same question in Asus and tell me they are memories that give me the problem, perhaps are poorly programmed

this is THE most ridiculous excuse for a mobo not running mem at the rated speed

the mem has been tested at the factory to perform at the rated speeds,

my first answer would be of the NB of the mobo has been traced out properly

my second guess, and this is very slim considering the cpu you have, is that the mem controller of the chip is weak

mem ICs not programmed properly? common asus, just another example of why you are failing in the mobo market

Hello everyone,

I've been doing “all afternoon” a lot of tests and these are the results.

First - I looked at the motherboard and do not have any bent pins. (Good luck).

I'm always very careful when installing a CPU. (I think so).

Second - I've tried all memory modules at XMP 1866 a lot of times, one by one, first in the first slot (Black color) and then, also in the second slot (Yellow Color) “if was necessary”

One memory module, every four times I start the PC, two times, gives me a blue screen.

The other three, are working properly, but, when I want to stop the PC, the PC is rebooted, two reboots every four shutdowns. “I don't know why”.

The four modules together always gives me a blue screen.

if I disable XMP, the memories runs at 1333, and everything works fine,

but of every fifteen times I shutdown the PC, once is rebooted.

I think my problem is very complicated.

What I have to do?.

the cooler is corsair hydro 100i series

no bent pins on the motherboard, that's true

thanks

Archived