Corsair Community

H80i Loud Buzzing Noise

Centaurgoku

Hi,

I recently build a PC with the H80i CPU cooler. I turned the machine on this morning and found that a loud buzzing sound was coming from the case. I unplugged the two case fans that came with 600T case and realized that the sound is coming from the H80i.

I thought that updating the corsair link firmware to version 1.07 would help however the noise is still their. I would also like to note that my H80i came with only 4 washers and I used these for connecting one SP120 fan behind the radiator. For the SP120 fan in front of the radiator I just used the screws with no washers as I had none at hand.

Is there anyway in which I can reduce or eliminate this loud buzzing sound coming from the H80i? Also could having no washers for the fan in front of the radiator be causing this sound?

UPDATE - I just unplugged the front SP120 fan and the noise went away so I think it is because there are no washers for the front fan. Is there anyway I can get corsair to send me out the 4 washers they never included with my cooler?

I have been testing the SP120 by plugging it directly into the fan socket of my motherboard and it still continues to make the buzzing sound. I ordered a pair of SP120's from amazon uk and both fans came in boxes joined together. Would corsair be able to send me out a new single sp120 fan as well as the washers?

• 1 month later...

It is definitely not a washer problem. If it was a washer problem it would be a rattling rather than this incredibly annoying sound. I think the fans may not be syncing up (if that's possible) so when you remove one of the fans the noise goes away.

This is horrible! I switched from my amazing gentle typhoons to these because of higher rpms and looks, but i think it may have been a mistake.

Corsair, any official fix to this? Please help. Even when I set them to quiet mode, it still persists. Its not a loud woosh of air, its a stress inducing loud hum.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the fans may not be syncing up (if that's possible) so when you remove one of the fans the noise goes away.

I'm beginning to think that too, I just got mine Monday and when at high rpm they seem pretty quiet but its when the rpm drops and the rpm variance seems to kick in then i get the buzzing, kinda like a really really fast ratchet sound. I've been trying out various things through Corsair Link 2 like setting them to both same rpm (even tho they're never really the same they get pretty close) That seems to eliminate it for a while, but i really don't want to leave it on fixed rpms especially if i'm in a game

I don't think what you're hearing is the fans but the pump itself. I just installed one the other day and it doesn't happen except on startup, and intermittently at that, but I do hear a loud ticking and within 30 seconds it will stop.

I was able to pull up the Corsair Link after waking the computer from sleep when this happened, and I noticed that the pump was at 500 rpm, and the moment it stopped making the sound the pump jumped up to ~2,250 rpm, which is usually where I see it when I have viewed it in the past.

The fans didn't really change their speed when the noise stopped, and I've noticed that they have never made this sound when I play with the speed profile and adjust it to a custom setting, even if I get them to spin slowly.

Yea i had this problem too when I was using the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer and the Corsair H100i. Now I'm using the new Silverstone TD-02 one and still have this issue. It only happen on start up. Like the buzzing rattling noise lasts for like 10-15s and then it stops. I just don't get why the pump is always starting out at low rpm? Why can't it just run at full speed the moment we turn on the computer? If anyone Corsair staff can explain this.

I don't think what you're hearing is the fans but the pump itself. I just installed one the other day and it doesn't happen except on startup, and intermittently at that, but I do hear a loud ticking and within 30 seconds it will stop.

I was able to pull up the Corsair Link after waking the computer from sleep when this happened, and I noticed that the pump was at 500 rpm, and the moment it stopped making the sound the pump jumped up to ~2,250 rpm, which is usually where I see it when I have viewed it in the past.

The fans didn't really change their speed when the noise stopped, and I've noticed that they have never made this sound when I play with the speed profile and adjust it to a custom setting, even if I get them to spin slowly.

happens to me been happening for about 6 months now just havnt bothered to rma sometimes when i boot it boots a little over 1000 and slowly goes down to 500 and jumps up to 2200 i just dont care to replace...

• Corsair Employees
The Noise is not uncommon at start up and when you wake from suspend you may have to restart the service under options / General; there seems to be an issue with the service starting up when you wake from suspend that we are looking into.

• 5 weeks later...

Any update on this? It seems to be happening regularly now on boot or on waking the computer from sleep, and it's now starting to last for even longer periods of time. Restarting the service does nothing (verified running CorsairLINK2 as admin and I see it stopping and restarting the service).

As of this writing, the pump has been sitting at 455 rpm for ~5 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
I am also experiencing this pump rattling noise with my H80i, intermittently at startup and every time after waking the computer from sleep mode. I'd like this resolved. Judging by how the issue arises, it seems like a software issue rather than something with the unit. The noise disappears when the Windows logo appears during startup.

I've noticed that the pump is noisy when its RPM is between 700-800 at Windows startup and after waking Windows 8 from sleep for me. However when I run a CPU stress test the pump will kick into "normal" RPMs 2200-2300 and the rattle noise will disappear. Weird.

Here is a video of my issue.

Is this similar to anyone else's?

Yep, that's the issue I have.

I've noted that when the pump makes the noise on waking the computer from sleep, if I open corsair link to check the pump speed it will usually be around 800 RPM, and it slowly drops down to 450 RPM and sits there until it jumps to full speed. Once it has jumped to full speed the sound goes away and the pump speed stays at full until I shutdown.

Yep, that's the issue I have.

I've noted that when the pump makes the noise on waking the computer from sleep, if I open corsair link to check the pump speed it will usually be around 800 RPM, and it slowly drops down to 450 RPM and sits there until it jumps to full speed. Once it has jumped to full speed the sound goes away and the pump speed stays at full until I shutdown.

I can confirm that happened to my unit too. I did not check the RPMs, but it runs at slower RPM at wake and then an unidentified amount of time later it will finally kick into higher RPMs and the sound goes away until I shutdown or hibernate.

One more thing I adjusted was the CPU Q-CONTROL setting for my CPU fan on my ASUS Z87-WS motherboard. I think that was affecting the H80i as well. Not sure if the problem is completely alleviated yet. If anyone else has an ASUS board, please check your settings for fan control that the H80i is plugged into.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
Hi, I have been having the same issue. I bought the h80i gt about a month after launch and had the same issue with the pump. Being that it was my first aio I just thought that it was an issue with all aios. I am posting this A: as a reference and B: in case you want me to post the radiator codes. I will doing an rma request today after I get home.

Archived