Corsair Community

GS700 odd failure

wizardofid

Over the weekend my 6 month old GS700 failed, quite gracefully as I expect a decent PSU would fail, leaving the rest of the system totally intact, which I am happy about, it's the way it failed that is odd.

I have a Coolermaster 690, so the psu is mounted in the bottom of the case, so the fan shows down, pulling in air from outside last night I powered on the PC, then heard a grinding noise, small puff of smoke and that was that.

Checked the back of the PC and power supply and found a small piece chip at the bottom of the case, it was only after the the chip blew and hit the fan that there was a puff of smoke, the psu actually continued going for a second or two after it hit the fan.Turned the chip around had a quite complex colored circuity on the back.

Is this a normal type failure where a chip would be blown from the PSU, would have expected a cap blowing or fuse, not a chip blown off ?

Since it still has warranty as such requested a RMA from them, so holding thumbs as its a odd failure for me.

Is this a normal type failure where a chip would be blown from the PSU, would have expected a cap blowing or fuse, not a chip blown off ?

Since it still has warranty as such requested a RMA from them, so holding thumbs as its a odd failure for me.

Yeah, that is odd. I have never heard of any PSU failing that way let alone a Corsair PSU. I would wait to send it in and let RamGuy or Technobeard reply to this. They may want that PSU to test in house.

Thought so much, unfortunately I have already send it off to the supplier for a RMA, I guess if they don't honor the RMA, could send it off, it's unlikely that I will get report back as to what failed, or if the supplier will ship it back to corsair ?

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry that happened and I agree I have not seen that type of failure either but if they will not replace it for you please request an RMA from us directly and we will replace it no problem.

• 2 weeks later...
I am sorry that happened and I agree I have not seen that type of failure either but if they will not replace it for you please request an RMA from us directly and we will replace it no problem.

Thanks RMA got sorted today, didn't replace as there is a stock shortage apparently from the supplier, so got some store credit, now only option is the AX 750 but that requires a large pay in, which I am more than happy to do.

Corsair FTW !

Archived