Corsair Community

Memory Stick Died

PhoenixMT

Dear Corsair,

I recently purchased an new 256MB 3202v3.1 XMS Memory Stick from newegg.com (7/26/2004). I've had two 256MB 3202v1.1 and one 256MB 3202v3.1 sticks in my computer running fine for almost 2 months. Tonight my computer rebooted itself and wouldn't come up again. After removing all the memory and re-inserting them 1 at a time, I tracked the failure down to my new stick of memory. My system operates fine with both of the old memory sticks.

Newegg.com's return policy expires after 30days. Is there anything else I should try? May I return the 3202v3.1 stick for warrenty repair?

My system is:

AthXP 2100+

Abit NF7

2x256MB 3202v1.1

1x256MB 3202v3.1

120 GB SATA WD Hard drive

ATA DVD-Drive

Geforce 4 Ti4200 64MB

Thank You,

David Orser

I'm at work right now, not next to my system. This is what I did last night.

1.) Clear the CMOS, Boot with single v1.1 stick

2.) Select 2100+ as processor, Processor Multiplier (x13) and FSB (133)

3.) Set RAM/FSB ratio = 3/3

4.) Double Check Memory timings are set to default (by spd)

5.) Reboot, system starts fine (windows login)

5.) Reboot with other v1.1 stick, system starts fine

6.) Reboot with v3.1 stick, System does not POST.

Late last night I installed both v1.1 sticks. Set FSB 166, CPUx13, and "turbo" timings (2-2-2-5 I believe). Ran MemTest overnight without any errors.

David Orser

• Corsair Employees
I would try and reset the bios with just the rev 3.1 module installed and then see if the system will post. If it will then set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts. If the system will still not post. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I hate to admit this but, I found a very thin wire pinched inside the memory slot (the thermocouple wire for my temp dependant CPU fan.) My system has been running stable for the past few days with this wire in the memory slot! :eek:

I removed the wire, reinserted just the v3.1 module and then all three modules, all POST'd, Booted, and MemTest'd cleanly. Running 2-2-2-11 @ 166MHz.

I have one final question. My system defaults to 2.6V. You suggested 2.7V for the memory modules. That's only +3.8% which I assume is still in spec? Is this voltage recommended for long term operation?

Thanks for making me persistant.

David Orser

Archived