Corsair Community

F120 Refurbished - 130mb/s So slow!

Majes

Hi all !

I've just mounted my new F120 force 3 refurbished SSD on my PC with sata2 (I don't think it's really that important sata2 or 3, it's going slower than ide! (150mb/s)). Firmware 5.03

The speeds are really slow, 130mb/s and 105 write. and 41/16 on 4k. (On AS SSD benchmark)

Same results on a fresh windows 8 installation than the saturated windows 7 i had before.

It's on AHCI mode.

Is there anything I can do?

EDIT: Another test, this time from atto benchmark:

http://i.imgur.com/FeRXW5r.png

Thank you very much!

Where is that information from ide has 150mb/s!??????????????

IDE is capable of a theoretical maximum of 133mb/s on the BUS (P-ATA 133).

No HDD beats 150mb/s, except the raptors.

Wikipedia:

As of April 2010 the fastest 10,000 RPM SATA mechanical hard disk drives could transfer data at maximum (not average) rates of up to 157 MB/s,[8] which is beyond the capabilities of the older PATA/133 specification and also exceeds a SATA 1.5 Gbit/s link.

Usually the rates are around 50-90mb/s for a HDD.

What speed are you evaluating? Read? Write?

How do you measure that trates? Benchmark?

A picture says more than 1000 words... please provide any shot of ASSSD, CrytalDIsk... better ATTO! ... we then tell you if everything is ok or not.

Or just coping files:

In case of read: Whats the write speed of the target?

In case of write: Whats the read speed of the source?

See the point? When copying files... the other end has to be fast, too.

Try creating a ram-drive and copy into that.. see... no problem ;)

IMHO looks ok for seq read from SSD onto write to a slower target.

Notice, that a SSD speeds up the system prior due to low response time, especially when proccessing lots of small files, not due to extreme performance for transfering big files on a small storage... that you probably never take use of. As of that, the SSD has pretty low response... you should notice that it boots quite faster.

Did you run exactly the same benchmark on a HDD... to know what you are talking about? I guess not, because the ultra-worse rates of the HDD in a SSD benchmark would shock you!

But you want numbers... pure naked numbers... on tasks that practically never occur in real-life. OK, read on:

Its a SATA III drive in a SATA II controller: SATA revision 2.0 - 3 Gbit/s - 300 MB/s theoretical BUS-maximum! But hey, as long as you think it's not important everything is GREAT! :roll:

Also, you can try updating to 5.05, what increased performance a bit, but i not recommend you that until you have a SATA III controller, because THAT will make a difference 10x more than the FW-update!

ok here is my test:

http://i.imgur.com/FeRXW5r.png

and here is a test from a non refubrished drive from thessd reviews:

http://ssd1.thessdreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Force3-ATTO.png

The previous tests were from AS SSD benchmark.

Thanks in advance! :D

Looks like it isn't even SATA II but plugged in a SATA I :D:

SATA I = up to 150mb/s max

SATA II = up to 300mb/s max

Anyway, the PC should be a lot faster with the SSD even on SATA I, then with a raptor on SATA III ;):

Thats because you usually not only need to load a single file but plenty files. The SSD has ultra-low-response and does not have a mechanical head that needs to physically jump to the next file like a HDD!

But well yes, when the rare case happens, that you have to copy one large file from a place on the SSD to another place on the SSD, you are limited to "slow" 150mb/s, what means copying a 4,7gb ISO from a SSD partition to another partition on the same SSD (not an instant move on the same partiion) would take around ultra-long 31 seconds...

Well never was the case for me... usually i install a game from an HDD to SDD, what means exactly writing lots of small files.

What ATTO does is to measure compressed file transfers from 0,5kilobyte size to 8megabyte size to see what the drive is theoretically physically capable of.

Your ATTO-pic shows me your drive is able to deliver very fast rates, even 8kb data-files can be load with +100mb/s with a response of quite smaller than 1 millisecond. . . try that with a HDD O.o

Dont care about the "slow" 0,5 (512byte), at 15mb/s ... such small file would nearly instantly be loaded within the response time. Or in other calculation you could probably load 30270 files á 512byte in 1 second! thats enough :):

Of course plugging it into SATA III will give you much nicer looking results and you would feel more "the way it meant to" but honestly, when using it for OS and Programs and Games... you wont miss a snap, because when copying, you barely have a source that can deliver the SSDs speed, so in 95% of the cases theoretically 500mb give you practically nothing and if you use 1 partition, what is recommanded... you can instantly move your files on the SSD by filesystem.

Your drive is ok.

Do not repeat benchmark, each writes 3,84 GB you probably only have up to 1,2 mio GB write cycles overall... i mean if i could spend 50 bucks a day, lets see when ive lost a million :D:, so i repeat it for good: please, do not repeat benchmark.

i bet what 80% all drives out there in the world write most of the time is ... benchmark....! :D:

Update!

I've installed the new nvidia drivers, for the GPU and motherboard, updated windows 8 and restarted the pc:

http://i.imgur.com/eH6pkQX.png

Are these numbers normal? I was hoping for something like 300/300 as a minimum!

Archived