Corsair Community

Reducing pump speed with molex H100i

Faithh07

i would strongly recommend against dropping voltage on the pump...but yes it would...but i wouldnt do it dont know why you would want to it could just cause problems

Pumps are pretty much voltage based while some are PWM.. I'm rather more worried if the firmware/sw would interfer with this..

do you mean fans? because theres a reason they dont let you reduce the speed on the pump...

no the software or firmware wouldnt interfere with it but it would cause problems with the pump in the long run...it puts more stress on it and will most likely make it louder...why would you want to do it in the first place?

the objective is to keep the cpu cool and the pump is tested for optimal performance at set rpm's.

to increase or decrease rpm would affect performance and longevity of the pump and also would void the warranty.

it really serves no practical purpose other than than the state of ''controlling''

the objective is to keep the cpu cool and the pump is tested for optimal performance at set rpm's.

to increase or decrease rpm would affect performance and longevity of the pump and also would void the warranty.

it really serves no practical purpose other than than the state of ''controlling''

On OCN there was a topic a guy making voltage droppers for the older series and it barely dropped any performance. Drops from 2200 to 2000 averagely.

On OCN there was a topic a guy making voltage droppers for the older series and it barely dropped any performance. Drops from 2200 to 2000 averagely.

Yes and that would have been wlw_wl. But that was for the original h series coolers, but does not apply to the "I" series. If your zI series cooler is making noise then you need to figure out why. But i would really advise against doing that with the newer units.

Did your unit come with 3 or 4 pin fans?

@Yellowbeard

I'm just curious. Why do you want to drop the pump RPMs?

There was a user a while back that worked with RamGuy and Corsair George both on these forums and OCN and found out that on the original Hseries cooler dropping the pumps voltage buy less than a volt made a grinding pump ,quiet. Basically some PSU's that put out more than 12v caused the ceramic bearing in the pumphead to chatter. Reducing the voltage dropped the RPM's stopped that chatter.

He started to sell those "voltage dropper"s on OCN, but i thought he stopped after Corsair fixed the issue that caused the grinding.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1236923/corsair-h100-h80-h60-noise-grinding-pump-fix-official-corsair-response

@Yellowbeard

There was a user a while back that worked with RamGuy and Corsair George both on these forums and OCN and found out that on the original Hseries cooler dropping the pumps voltage buy less than a volt made a grinding pump ,quiet. Basically some PSU's that put out more than 12v caused the ceramic bearing in the pumphead to chatter. Reducing the voltage dropped the RPM's stopped that chatter.

He started to sell those "voltage dropper"s on OCN, but i thought he stopped after Corsair fixed the issue that caused the grinding.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1236923/corsair-h100-h80-h60-noise-grinding-pump-fix-official-corsair-response

I remember all that which is why I asked. If this OP has a grinding pump, he should RMA. If the pump is working normally, why mess with it? ::pirate::

My unit came with 4 pin fans and still has some grinding noise which I only can hear in the night. I don't have any fans connected to the pump but it doesn't make any difference. So I just like to have the pump running a bit slower so it would disappear and I'm very sensitive to noise.

ok look...lowering pump speed does NOT necessarily make the pump quieter...in fact it probably makes it LOUDER!!! my pump sometimes glitches on boot for about 60 seconds and when i go in link it says its running 550-800 at that time and it makes this really annoying grinding noise then it fixes it and noise goes away COMPLETELY and it says its running 2150...so ya lower rpm is actually louder

these specific hydro coolers arnt made to lower voltage on...im sorry if you want to lower pump speeds get a different brand but i gotta admit corsair kicks *** (and coolit coolers of course) but its your choice

any moving part will generate a noise to some degree,even tho these coolers are lauded for it being quiet,it still isnt absolutely quiet.even if you receive another unit,it may be the same.its really up to you to decide if its too loud and go from there.

I remember all that which is why I asked. If this OP has a grinding pump, he should RMA. If the pump is working normally, why mess with it? ::pirate::

Yuppers, I kind of figured thats why you asked YB and why i advised against it. Better to just get it fixed correctly! ;):

Yes and that would have been wlw_wl. But that was for the original h series coolers, but does not apply to the "I" series. If your zI series cooler is making noise then you need to figure out why. But i would really advise against doing that with the newer units.

@faith

My unit came with 4 pin fans and still has some grinding noise which I only can hear in the night. I don't have any fans connected to the pump but it doesn't make any difference. So I just like to have the pump running a bit slower so it would disappear and I'm very sensitive to noise.

Then you should have it RMA'd and get another unit. You can always ask for an advanced replacement so the only down time you have is what it would take to change the cooler. And if your cooler is less than 30 days old you can also request to have the shipping charges taken care of too. But i would let Corsair fix it for you before taking the chance of doing permanent damage . Besides running the p[ump out of it's intended specs would also void your warranty.

originally posted by wytnyt

any moving part will generate a noise to some degree,even tho these coolers are lauded for it being quiet,it still isnt absolutely quiet.even if you receive another unit,it may be the same.

I have to disagree with that. I've been around many machines that you couldn't tell they were running(not PC,but other actual machinery)It all depends on lubrication, tolerances, ect.

I also have quite a few friends that have these and you really have to get up close to hear the pump running. But the chances of the OP receiving another unit that generates just as much noise as what she has is very very slim. It may also be the individual user. Since sound is perceived differently by every individual, it may just be the way they hear it. I understand your just backing up the last part of that statement, but it just sounds like you give good odds of them getting another unit that may be faulty.

Okay just did some measurements, pc complety shutdown in a deadsilent room 37dba while turned on it's around 40-42Dba (taken from 10cm away from the case). The pump doesn't make a grinding noise but it's just me being way too sensitive I guess. If I move the meter close to the pump it's around 43-44dba.

Could it be that there is just too much stress on the waterblock? The screws are like 1-2mm curved because the backplate is very loose.

I have to disagree with that. I've been around many machines that you couldn't tell they were running(not PC,but other actual machinery)It all depends on lubrication, tolerances, ect. .

ive been in the machinery for over 40 years myself,while technology's has made milestone advancements,they still cannot make a totally silent piece of machinery.once a given piece get to the quit point a usual humming is evident.

there will never be a dead quiet cooler im my opinion but of course sound is very subjective

i would ask for a couple examples of a total quiet piece,be it a motor,cooler or anything.

got to edit

their is the technology to where an opposing sound is made that will cancel noise and therefore produce zero audible noise but thats a completely different field of discussion .

i wouldnt drop the voltage to the h100i, simply because the electronics on it such as the microcomputer or USB controller embedded inside to change LED color and store settings probably requires a set voltage. Not to mention the already finicky LEDs.

Unless of course all of the software function is powered by the USB cable.

Anyways I've ordered & received the sata to molex converter and used my voltage dropper and the difference is just significant. It's a lot quieter and now I can't even hear the pump at all. It dropped the speed from 2240rpm to around 2130rpm. It didn't effect the led lights or anything like it..

you can still void the warranty and guess what then... your ***** if something bad happens

but if your ok with that and it fixed the problem then i guess thats good

its a prudent idea to use less offensive language.my 5 yr. grand daughter reads these posts to me to improve her reading and id hate to have to explain curse words,im sure im not alone on this.;):

Archived