Corsair Community

AX1200 Short Circuit

fzfq3m

Hi

Today my computer made like a short circuit noise and turned off suddenly while I was playing a game and then it refused to turn on... when pushing the power button I just heard what appears to be a relay noise... tracking down the noise I figured out that it was coming from my AX1200.

Fearing the worst I removed the PSU from the case and unplugged all peripherals, motherboard, fans, etc from the psu and proceeded to test the it alone... since all cables of the 24pin connector in the AX1200 are black I was not sure which pins I needed to short in order to test the PSU

I followed this tutorial http://www.corsair.com/es/blog/testing-your-corsair-power-supply and the worst happened... when I tried to turn on the PSU through its power button it made the realy sound like crazy (many clicks very quickly) followed by a big short circuit that came from inside the psu (from the power cord connector area I think) :[pouts: it was so fast I couldn't react and it was to late when I turned off

Worth mentioning that before the test the PSU was providing energy to the motherboard (my Asus P6T7 WS has a green led that is always on as long as the PSU is plugged to the AC power) but it just refused to turn on, no fan spin, no beeps... no nothing, just a single relay like click... also for the test I connected both pumps (2xMCP655) instead of the recommended pc fans...

Just wondering if the test from the link is not applicable to the AX1200? or what could have gone wrong with thus particular PSU... It was working flawlessly since I bought it :(:? And more impotant: I can RMA it and get it repaired/replaced?

I bought it from Amazon on Jan 2012

anyway, I haven't tested the others components of my pc because I don't have another PSU at hand... but I let you know as soon as I can

Kind Regards

Well, there is no way to tell what failed without having it sent back to Corsair. And even then you wouldn't know the results of their failure analysis. But , yes, it can be RMA'd Just use the link on the left to request an RMA.

I

can RMA it and get it repaired/replaced?

I bought it from Amazon on Jan 2012

You would get a brand new sealed unit. So be sure to send in all your cables along with the PSU when you send it in.

Well, there is no way to tell what failed without having it sent back to Corsair. And even then you wouldn't know the results of their failure analysis. But , yes, it can be RMA'd Just use the link on the left to request an RMA.

I

You would get a brand new sealed unit. So be sure to send in all your cables along with the PSU when you send it in.

Thanks. As soon as I check my other components I will summit a Request for RMA... I ordered a 600w psu that should be arriving today (I hope)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived