Corsair Community

Gard

Just bought a Corsair CX500 and installed it in an HP p6140f to replace a factory 300 watt power supply with a dying fan. Everything was great for about a day, and then the power shut off like a circuit breaker had been tripped. The computer would not come back on. After a while I disconnected all the cables from the back and set it on a counter to see if maybe one of the power connections had come loose. There were no obvious loose connections, so I reconnected everything, hit the on switch and it booted right up.

Another 24-36 hours went by and then last night the same thing happened. I was playing a game and suddenly the power shut off. When hitting the power button, the only thing that would happen was the “on” button would light up for a fraction of a second and you could hear a fan turn, again just for a fraction of a second. That was it. I unplugged everything except for the video card, but nothing would happen. Then this morning, hours after it had died, I disconnected everything, placed it on the counter and was about to re-install the old power supply, when I decided to pull out the 24 pin MB connection and re-install it (I did not do that the first time). I grabbed a spare power cord, plugged it in and the computer booted up (just trying stuff). I turned it back off, re-installed all the cords (keyboard, mouse, video, ect) and I am using it to write this.

I am not very technically inclined; the only thing I could think of was maybe the video card (Sapphire Radeon HD 6570) was causing it to shut down when it ran hot (160 degrees) during games, and the circuit would not come back on until I removed the video monitor cord. Thanks for any help.

he only thing I could think of was maybe the video card (Sapphire Radeon HD 6570) was causing it to shut down when it ran hot (160 degrees) during games, and the circuit would not come back on until I removed the video monitor cord.

No, it would have just been coincidence. There is a strong possibility that the PSU may be incompatible with your machine. ZSome OEM systems have a wattage cap and some use proprietary PSU's making them hard to upgrade.

You might want to give HP a call and see if the PSU is compatible and also if the MB has a wattage cap. .

Also can you see what the voltages are being reported as in the BIOS. 12v,5v and 3.3v rails?

Archived