Corsair Community

Hooking up a Xonar Essence STX sound card to AX1200 PSU

Azza369

Hey Guys,

Hoping you can help me out here. I have just recently built my first ever computer from scratch and installed an asus xonar essence stx sound card for better audio to use with my astro a40 headphones.

This sound card requires more power than is offered straight from the motherboard pci-e slot hence it has a 4 pin male molex power connector on it.

I was wondering what is the best way to hook this sound card up to my PSU (AX1200)? There is no cable that came with the psu as far as I can see that will do the job. I'm guessing I need a 8 pin pci-e connector to 4 pin female molex but I may be wrong? Does this cable even exist? Is there an adapter or other cable that I need to buy etc?

I tried to use a 4 pin molex to 6 pin sata cable that came with the psu but that did not work. It told me the card needed more power when I tried to install the drivers. I had a rummage through the box but was unable to find a molex to pci-e cable/connector :(:

I'm still a newbie regarding installing hardware so hopefully there is a simpler method that I have overlooked. I take it people here are familiar with the back of a ax1200 psu..there are no molex connectors on the back of it, only 8 pin pci-e and 6 pin sata for hdd and optical drives etc.

Thanks in advance :)

I was wondering what is the best way to hook this sound card up to my PSU (AX1200)? There is no cable that came with the psu as far as I can see that will do the job. I'm guessing I need a 8 pin pci-e connector to 4 pin female molex but I may be wrong? Does this cable even exist? Is there an adapter or other cable that I need to buy etc?

You should have standard molex connectors with that PSu. If you do not have those cables then you need to request them so they can be sent to you.

But I wouldn't try to use a PCI adapter. SATA to molex would be a better choice if you absolutely need to go that route.

But again you should have them. A total of 12 molex if I remember correctly.

Correct I do have molex connectors with the psu..but only ones that can be connected into 6 pin sata/peripheral ports in the back of the psu and that didn't work. Should it be enough? Or are there other cables I'm missing out on here?

Thanks for your patience

your missing them as my ax1200 came with lots of 4 pin molex cables, one end is a 6 pin that connects to the power supply but theres only 4 wires in it, and these cables have 4 molex connectors on them and a couple have 2 molex on them.

This cable connects into the pci ports on the back of the psu in your instance and not sata? Reason i ask is that the pci slots only allow you to plug in 8 pin connectors because of the clip in feature on the connectors not aligning? All very confusing for me..my apologies.

Would you have a link to this cable so I could investigate it further?

Cheers

I think it would be best for you too call Corsair tech support as the AX1200 comes with more cables than is needed for even a system such as mine running 2 graphics cards which take a 6 and 8 pin power cable each, 4 hard drives, 2 blu-ray burners, and 7 fans, and I have cables left over that are stored in the box that the power supply came in, you seem very confused but there is no need to apoligize, just give them a call and I am sure they will get you fixed up.

Correct I do have molex connectors with the psu..but only ones that can be connected into 6 pin sata/peripheral ports in the back of the psu and that didn't work

That would be the correct cable.

Try them again and plug a case fan or something in to the molex connector to see if you get power through them that way. If the fan powers up and card doesn't then the card is doa. If both fail to power up then there is either an issue with the cable itself or the PSU itself and should be RMA'd or replaced. But don't skip the troubleshooting because your anxious to get things working.

This cable connects into the pci ports on the back of the psu in your instance and not sata?

No, he is just saying the correct cable has a 6pin connector on one end and molex on the other. It would be plugged into the SATA/peripheral ports on the psu.

This is the only link to the cable. It does not show the other end but should be a 6pin connector.

Archived