Corsair Community

Cooling Node, Connect a fan and devices vanish

Krull_99

Hi All,

I'm looking for some guidance with trying to resolve an issue I'm having with the Corsair link software and a cooling node. My setup is working fine but when I connect a fan to the cooling node the cooling node disappears from the devices in the software.

My Setup

Gigabyte GA990FXA-UD5 Main board.

AMD FX8120 CPU.

Windows 8 64Bit OS

16gb Ram.

Gigabyte GTX660 GPU.

Samsung SSD.

Various SATA hard drives.

Corsair AX860i PSU. Connected to MB USB header via Corsair Link USB cable that came with PSU.

Corsair H100i AIO CPU cooler. Connected to MB USB header.

Corsair Cooling node.

Before adding the cooling node the system was working fine. When first added and connecting the temperature sensors and 1 fan no devices were showing in Corsair link program. After going back to just the AX860i and H100i the system started working again.

I have got to the point where the Cooling node is now recognised by the software, and the temp sensors are working. This is with the cooling node connected to channel 2 on the H100i. As soon as I connect a fan to any of the fan ports the Cooling node disappears from the devices list.

I have tried this with a number of fans (Corsair 3 pin and PWM, and 3rd party 3 pin and PWM). I have also disconnected all fans on the H100i (4 running in push/pull) and still the same issue. I have also tried different USB headers and also tried with the PSU link connected to the Southbridge USB ports and the H100i connected to the Northbridge and the other way round, still with the same issue as soon as I connect a fan to the cooling node it vanishes from within Corsair link dashboard. I have done numerous uninstall and install of the drivers and software with no luck. I have also tried with the Cooling node connected via the USB link cable that came with the AX860i, and this will not show correctly in the dashboard even with no temp sensors or fans connected it just shows up as AX.

I'm running Corsair Link SW Version 2.3.4816

AX860i is connected to link dongle with FW version 0.9

H100i is FW 1.0.5 and Hydro USB V2.0.0

The cooling node is FW V1.1.12

I did think that I may need to update the FW on the cooling node to 1.2.5 but I am unable to do this. when I click update firmware from within Link SW the boot loader starts but only corsair commander and H100i are in the list.

Is it possible for me to update the cooling node FW with the setup I have? or would I require a link commander to do the FW update.

If anyone could think of something I may not have tried to help resolve this I would be very grateful, or how I could update the firmware in the cooling node with the setup I have.

Regards Alan

Hi Ram Guy.

Thanks for the reply.

the Fans I have tested this with are

3rd party fans.

Fractal designs FD-FAN-80 3 pin

Arctic Cooling F12 PWM

Corsair Fans.

Supplied with 800d Case 140mm 3 pin

Supplied with H100i 120mm PWM Model 31-002319

AF140

SP120

Regards Alan

• Corsair Employees

What fan when its connected makes them all disappear? Any fan or a specific Fan. And the case fans I would leave them connected to the fan controller on the case and for PWM fans you will need Cooling Node F/W 1.2.5 and the Link Commander to flash the firmware. Then just plug the 3 pin fans into a MB fan header.

Cooling Node, Connect a fan and devices vanish

What fan when its connected makes them all disappear? Any fan or a specific Fan. .

Any fan, and any fan connector on the cooling node.

And the case fans I would leave them connected to the fan controller on the case

I got the cooling node to control the fans in my case, and a number of AF and SP series fans why would I need/want to leave them connected to the MB?. I want to use the CL software to control them, else why have it?

and for PWM fans you will need Cooling Node F/W 1.2.5 and the Link Commander to flash the firmware.

and you can confirm that this will work for my setup?

The just plug the 3 pin fans into a MB fan header.

does this mean the CL software and cooling node is only capable of controlling PWM fans?

Sorry if I have misunderstood your reply, but in summary.

The cooling node will not work when a plugged into an USB dongle or a H100i?

The cooling node will not work with 3 pin fans? (so not compatible with Corsair Air Series fans)

The cooling node will only work with PWM fans if connected to a link commander and has updated firmware?

Regards Alan

• Corsair Employees
The cooling node will not work when a plugged into an USB dongle or a H100i?

A: The Cooling Node will have to be connected through the IC2 connector you cannot run it through a USB to IC2 cable that will not work. So it will have to be connected to the H100i that is connected VIA USB to the MB or to the Link Commander

The cooling node will not work with 3 pin fans? (so not compatible with Corsair Air Series fans)

A: No not exactly and I have explained this previously in another thread.

We are coming out with a line of PWM series of fans that will work great with our Cooling Node. However, if you have the Cooling Node now with 3 Pin fans you may have better control of the fans that are connected to the cooling node with F/W Ver. 1.1.2 but there may be a slight clicking sound from the fans

And with the newer PWM Fans you will have full control and we would suggest using F/W 1.2.5 for the cooling Node.

TAC or 3-Pin fans will work with either F/W but from what we have seen they will usually have better control with F/W 1.1.9. I would not worry about trying both versions and see which works best for your configuration.

The cooling node will only work with PWM fans if connected to a link commander and has updated firmware?

A: Please see the previous statement as that is addressed as well.

The current setup is AX860i PSU via supplied USB dongle to MB USB header. H100i via supplied cable to MB USB header. Cooling node via supplied cable to H100i CH2.

This is still not working when connecting a fan to the cooling node.

If I were to add a link commander, what would be the best method to connect all devices. Would it be Link commander to MB USB header and then all devices then connected to the link commander? Would this work when I then connect fans to the cooling node?

Regards Alan

• Corsair Employees
Cool Guy is out of the office this week so let me get with him before I make and suggestions but can you go to devices under options an expand the Corsair Devices and then post a screen shot.

• Corsair Employees

We spoke this morning but he has not had a chance to look into this fully, please give me some more time and we will see what we can do.

EDIT: Just sent you a message about this please let me know!

Archived