Corsair Community

Please help with corsair twinx 512XL (2x256)

dojo

Hello to all of you,

as you can see i am a new member in this forum.

Let's get to my point.

I want to upgrade my system to a nforce 3 250g rig with an 3200+ newcastle (socket 754) cpu.

I've made some reading for some hours now in this forum and what i understood is that the nforce 3 chipset does not fully support 2x512 modules in 200ddr mode (practically, if i am correct , you only get 166 because all of the 512 modules right now are double sided).

My question is the following,which board could cause the less compatibility issues with twinx512mb (2x256) corsair 3200XL ?

I have 4 choices:ASUS K8N-E Deluxe

GIGABYTE K8NSPro

Epox EP-8KDA3J

MSI 7030 K8N

Also , is this memory reccomended for these boards ? Maybe some other (LL or C2) corsair twinx modules are better ?

Please enlighten me,thank you in advance

Dojo

Edit : the gfx card will be my sapphire 9800pro@9800XT if that matters

Edit2 : I am not planning to OC this system much.Does this mean i could go for 2x512mb with more loose timings instead of 2x256 twinx XL ?

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry, I cannot tell you what MB to use or which one is better than the other. That will cause a conflict of interest for me. Second, you will need to decide if you want to run a socket 754 AMD or socket 939! That will be a big factor in what memory and MB you should use!

Third, I would encourage you to go too as many forums and or review sites and just do a search for the specific model of MB you are interested in and that will usually shed some light on what MB's to choose and what not too choose. However, you have too keep this in mind; the volume of a given MB maker has will have an impact on how many posts or links you find; good and or bad. In other words, someone like ASUS who are one of the largest MB makers in terms of volume will have more comments than say Epox, who all but dropped out of the USA market last year.

Thank you RAM GUY, :biggrin:

i see your point.

If you permit i would like to hear an answer from you regarding my last question "Edit2 : I am not planning to OC this system much.Does this mean i could go for 2x512mb with more loose timings instead of 2x256 twinx XL ?"

This question applies to both nf3 250 and k8t800 pro chipsets.The socket will be s754

Thank you in advance

Dojo

• Corsair Employees
With socket 754 AMD's I would suggest a single module for best performance and over clock ability! Like CMX1024-3200C2 or if your budget is tight I would suggest VS1gb400. Other wise Twinx1024-3200C2 or LL or XL will all work just with XL or LL's you may need to relax the timings to make the system stable depending on the speed of your CPU and make and model of MB!

Archived