Corsair Community

h100i stock cpu load temps >100c!!!

st01tz

Completed an overhaul of my system a few weeks ago. I intended to push a mild overclock of this i7 3770k using the h100i so I ran some Prime95 tests stock to see what the thermal range was non-load/load. Non-load core temperatures were in the mid-30c range. Under load the core temperature would rise to mid-70c range. In the past few days I have noticed that under load the core temperatures would climb past 100c, which is concerning since the TJMax of this chip is 105c. I proceeded to go back to stock cpu clock/mobo settings (from only a small overclock 4.2-4.4Ghz) to see if the baseline had changed. It had. Stock things were still climbing into low 100c range and non-load core temperatures are in the low 40c range. I proceeded to remove the pump from the cpu, remove the stock thermal compound, and apply Arctic Alumina thermal compound instead. Still no improvement. Completed another reinstallation of thermal compound just to double check I hadn't screwed something up and still no improvement. So currently I do not know what else to try other than to contact Corsair support and enlist others help on the forums.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be much appreciated!

CPU fan speed is reported as 2300-2400 rpm, which should be the pump speed correct? This also matches what is reported in Corsair Link2 in OS.

To provide some more detail, I am using arctic alumina thermal compound applied to the cpu in a line down the center of the die. Used arcticlean thermal material remover and purifier to clean both the cpu and pump each time I had to reset the pump. I haven't used ceramic based TC but from what I read it has better performance than silver compounds.

Also, funny thing is that each time I reboot and start up corsair link the pump, temp, LED and fans associated with the h100i all lose the link and show up as new in the left column again.

CPU fan speed is reported as 2300-2400 rpm, which should be the pump speed correct?

Yeah, thats correct!

I haven't used ceramic based TC but from what I read it has better performance than silver compounds.

JUST an FYI, Corsair doesn't recommend using the ceramic based pastes or stuff like ICDiamond because of the abrasive nature. May damage the cooling surface over time.

Also, funny thing is that each time I reboot and start up corsair link the pump, temp, LED and fans associated with the h100i all lose the link and show up as new in the left column again.

Now, this is starting to sound more like a software bug to me. Have you tried completely removing all instances of CL and reinstall. Re-create your profile and see if you get the same thing. If you do, then i would have it replaced.

Are your temps the same in any other software or just the LINK software?

Ok, uninstalled CorsairLink, rebooted, and ran CCleaner to check for any errant registry entries, none listed. Ran regedit and found "corsairlink" in these locations but they don't seem to be anything other than locations for my downloads:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UFH\SHC

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WinRing0_1_2_0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinRing0_1_2_0

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-258756639-3120896443-3626379382-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UFH\SHC

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-258756639-3120896443-3626379382-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store

Rebooted again. Downloaded corsairlink again and installed. On startup my saved profile "1" was still listed and my custom fan curve was still available. Set the profile to "default", saved and rebooted again. Upon opening corsairlink I get the same set of "0" value devices along with a new valid set of devices (see screenshot).

I'm taking it that the unit itself stores the profile information, otherwise I have no idea where this is being saved on my system so I can do a clean install. I might try flashing the firmware even though this is already v1.0.5.

1307647833_Screenshot(1).thumb.jpg.11dd2ff8f78beedb486e6934c9e3c2fd.jpg

I'm taking it that the unit itself stores the profile information, otherwise I have no idea where this is being saved on my system so I can do a clean install. I might try flashing the firmware even though this is already v1.0.5.

if you want to find every reference to corsair just type ''regedit'' in your desktop search feature and put in your search word in ''find next'' and each time it will locate and show its location

dont save regedit when closing if prompted.

Removed the h100i and replaced it with the stock intel air cooler and the issue appears to be resolved. Idle temps approximately 10-15c lower (avg 30-32c) with air and cpu core load temps only 80-85c max settling in at the high 70c range. I ordered a h60 cooler to replace this one since I wasn't all that impressed with the h100i in terms of the cooling performance. Plus the fan noise and corsairlink software issues were just icing on the cake.

Thanks all for the troubleshooting help!

Just to report back after the Corsair H60 installation idle core temperatures are hovering around the 30c mark and load temperatures in the 60's. Fan on the unit is much quieter than the H100i and no annoying CorsairLInk software issues to contend with. I do miss the LED on the H100i pump but I can live with out it.

Archived