Corsair Community

ddr 2 ram for intel 925x mobo?

Noob_112

Hi, I was wondering if there was any compatible ram for the intel 925xcv mobo I just bought, or has anyone else bought this type of mobo. Can they please tell me what kind of ram they are using. Or if corsair xms2 ddr2 ram is compatible, so I know before I buy? Thanks

The Twin2X1024-5400C4 modules or CM2X512-5400C4 XMS memory modules are compatable with that mainboard, but you WILL NOT be able to use them at full speed on that board.

If you wanted to save money, Corsair also makes DDR-II Value Select modules which are compatable, but I don't reccommend getting anything slower than DDR533 or you'll lose out on performance!

PLUR

CK

Is there anyway I can get the better xms ram to work at higher speeds? Do you think that intel would release a bios update that could maybe accomadate the ram? Or is there another motherboard that can support the higher pc 5400 speed or am I out of luck? I really had myself set on purchasing the ram, but if there is no performance gain I dont know if I should buy anymore.

The Intel boards are rock solid mainboard, but they don't give you the options or ability to run super-high speed memory.

I'd personally reccommend the ASUS P5AD2-Premium board as it NATIVELY supports DDR600 which is higher than the Value line currently goes.

The 5400 is actually 675 so you'd still have some headroom for overclocking, but it's a better start!

PLUR

CK

As this applies to the ASUS P5AD2 Premium and the Twin2X1024-5400C4 memory modules,

Actually, it wont work. I have the same setup and the BIOS (as of the latest 1006 rev) wont detect that memory for DDR2-600. You have the option to set it to DDR2-600, but I have discovered that the BIOS just sets it to 533 anyway. ASUS has given me the lame excuse that those modules aren't fully compatible with that board. The only option seems to be to set it (or let it auto) to DDR2-533 and overclock it to 600+. That is if you have a sufficient cooling solution for your CPU.

I guess the ASUS board would still be better than the Intel board as you would have the option to oc.

True also MSI claims too support the higher 600 speed, but I dont know what anyone's experiences are with the motherboard. Intel makes pretty decent boards but the lack of overclock features is kind of annoying. I was planning on exchanging it for the asus premium mobo, but now I dont even know if it's worth the time. Maybe ill just buy the 5400 ram anyways for future use even though right now it will be underclocked at 533. But I heard the higher fsb should be coming out soon, anyone know when that will be? I think the fsb is 1000 around there, but then if the fsb is higher wont you need a new processor? Or will the higher fsb motherboards that support it need a new processor, if I purchase the ram I should be fine. Maybe later on after revisions they will support the higher fsb and the higher ram speeds. I hope that happens sometime really soon.

That's true if you want to run at DDR2-667. You shouldn't have to oc for DDR2-600 as ASUS is supposed to offer an effective 3:2 setting option via the BIOS (i.e. DDR2-600)...which doesn't appear to work when you set it.

So yeah..you have to oc for anything higher than DDR2-533.

Just joined da House today. Came here for the same reason as Noob_112 did. I also just bought an Intel 925x mobo and purchased 2 Gigs(2 of the 1Gig sticks) of Corsair DDR2 533. Also got a P4 3.4Ghz cpu. Still deciding on a vidcard altho' I know it's gonna be a PCI-Express.

I saw the speedier XMS Ram but didn't think the mobo supported it so I didn't get it after seeing this link on the Monarch computer site...

Need help in deciding what speed memory to use? Click here.

As I said, I did get 2 sticks of 1 Gig DDR2 533 and even tho it is not the faster XMS kind I hope that will do me for awhile, and this is why...

After 3 1/2 years of playing(and lagging :p: ) with my P3 733Mhz cpu and ATI 32MB video card, yes you read that right, I have finally upgraded :!:

Funny thing is, it cost me not much more to upgrade now than it did to build my original system but look what power I have now compared to then lol.

Anyway, glad I'm finally up with the times and I know what you all are thinking...it's about damn time! I was just determined to wait till I couldn't stand it any longer. And also to get some extra value for my $.

Yes and now im exchanging the intel motherboard lol. It's just that I would rather spend a little extra money for the extra performance since I have been waiting for awhile. The ddr2 pc 5400 ram also does look good because of its speed of 667 mhz so any future upgrade I will not have to upgrade the ram. The problem I had with the intel motherboard was that it would not support the higher ram speeds.

Also ive been looking at the pci express slot on the intel motherboard, it doesnt even look like a pci express vid card can fit. The heatsink or whatever it is over the 925x chipset blocks like half the pci express slot. To my understanding a video card also has a fan attached to keep the video card. I have not yet seen a picture of a pci express videocard but I cannot see how in the world it will fit. The intel 925x motherboard is a solid in terms of easy installation but im going to look elsewhere. Im exchanging it soon for a Asus premium 925x for the extra money and hoping that they fix the ram speeds.

Hope ya get it sorted there Noob_112. I'm gonna stick with what I got I think as it won't be another 3 1/2 years till I upgrade again (I hope) but, I'm not sure what settings/voltage to use on the Corsair 533/4200?

Also, since it's gonna be in duel channel mode I assume I put one stick in slot 1 and the other stick in slot 3? Any help on the mem settings and voltage or a link to this somewhere in this massive forum is appreciated. :sunglasse

• Corsair Employees

RX-7Fan

The modules should be in the 2 same colored slots or 1-3 or 2-4. Please check the user manual. And I would just load setup defaults and let the bios set all of the timings and such should be all you need too do!

And for those of you with XMS5400C4

I would try this too see if the memory will run at that speed.

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 225MHz

DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 533MHz (3 to 4) Divider = 600 MHz

DRAM Timing Selectable: Auto Yields the following timings

SDRAM CAS Latency: 4T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T

DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 1.9

This setting was implemented to add support for 533 FSB CPU's and with an 800 FSB CPU it will not run stable according too what we have seen as the chipset is optimized for the 3-4 divider setting with an 800 FSB CPU, where as the older I875 chipset would only run DDR400 with and 800 FSB CPU!

• 2 months later...

Ok RAM GUY, after a couple setbacks in building my comp., it is up and running fine. While looking at my Intel onboard thingy that shows fan speeds, FSB mhz, RAM mhz etc. I noticed that if I clicked on the drop down box next to the RAM mhz it has a 667 mhz setting listed there, which I'm assuming I can overclock it up to that number?

I know this mobo supposedly doesn't support any RAM past 533mhz but, it seems I might be able to overclock my standard Corsair Value Select 533mhz RAM up to 667mhz?

And if I did try it would you suggest altering any other of the voltage settings or whatever, or maybe the mobo will automatically do that when I try the 667mhz setting? :confused:

Specs: Cooler Master 'Praetorian' aluminum case

Intel 3.4 Pentium 4 Prescott with HyperThreading

Intel 925X Black Canyon mobo with LGA 775 chipset

ATI X800 XT 256 MB PCI Xpress VGA

ATI HDTV Wonder with antenna and RF remote control

2 GB DDR2 Corsair 4200 (533) RAM (2 sticks, 1 GB each)

2 120 GB Western Digital Caviar SATA HDD's set in RAID 0 array

Antec 'NeoPower' 480 watt power supply unit

Accessories: Cooler Master Musketeer I, II and Aerogate II monitoring gauges

• Corsair Employees
Well you are welcome to try it, but we would not use this MB simply because these modules would need to have the CPU over clocked to run them. You more than likely would not post if it runs the memory at 677 with the CPU at 800FSB.

Archived