Corsair Community

corsair link logging questions

madmecca1975

I have just run the new 3d mark bench test to test my power supply see attached doc

1 when does the fan start working on ax1200i is it when under so much load or is it load plus temp

2 what is the lowest efficiency it should go to on another test it went to 77.7

3 cant work out why I am getting a reading on pcie 8 as there is nothing plugged in there but get a reading of 4.375

thanks if anyone can answer the few questions for me

corsair mad mecca logs.txt

Actually according to Corsair on the debut video of the AX1200i it was stated that by default the fan will not come on until there is a 40% load. If you are really getting a 77% efficiency then you need to RMA that psu. You should stay in the 90s at idle and around 90% at 100% load as demonstrated by Corsair and in many reviews.

Actually according to Corsair on the debut video of the AX1200i it was stated that by default the fan will not come on until there is a 40% load. If you are really getting a 77% efficiency then you need to RMA that psu. You should stay in the 90s at idle and around 90% at 100% load as demonstrated by Corsair and in many reviews.

Thats correct.

• Corsair Employee

Do you see how the software is logging 50 times per second? When the efficiency drops, it's only dropping for two or three 50ths of a second, and you'll see that it happens right after the load is really high, then suddenly drops, which happens during 3DMark.

For example, at one time the DC output is 376.2W, then it drops to 276W. The AC reading is still 380W for 1/50th of a second, then the AC drops to 376W. In that 1/50th of a second, your efficiency is recorded as 72.63%. If this PSU wasn't digital, that drop in efficiency would last a lot longer than 1/50th of a second. That's the advantage of DSP.

Why you're getting a 4.375V reading on one of the unused PCIe power connectors, I can't say.

• Corsair Employee

I don't know how you would mention something like that on a box. ;) It's more about understanding how a PSU works and what the software is logging and how often. :)

For the PCIe connector; I'm just curious what happens if you were to plug something into that connector. Does it read properly? Does another vacant port pop up reading "ghost voltages" instead?

Do you see how the software is logging 50 times per second? When the efficiency drops, it's only dropping for two or three 50ths of a second, and you'll see that it happens right after the load is really high, then suddenly drops, which happens during 3DMark.

For example, at one time the DC output is 376.2W, then it drops to 276W. The AC reading is still 380W for 1/50th of a second, then the AC drops to 376W. In that 1/50th of a second, your efficiency is recorded as 72.63%. If this PSU wasn't digital, that drop in efficiency would last a lot longer than 1/50th of a second. That's the advantage of DSP.

Why you're getting a 4.375V reading on one of the unused PCIe power connectors, I can't say.

Sorry to spoil this fine theory, but actually the logging is 60 times per minute (once per second) :). So the "advantage of DSP" isn't really like jonny said (might still be true in another level, heh).

Actually it seems that either the Link software or the actual measurements inside the PSU are buggy and/or grossly inaccurate, as also apparent by the 99 % efficiency occurring in the log (no PSU is ever 99% efficient). I just bought the AX860i and the Link shows about 70 % efficiency when idle (I have to believe this is also a measuring error in software/firmware), rising to about 90 % if the CPU and GPU are fully stressed (Prime 95 & Furmark). Also in my Link all the currents, except main, are showing zero when idle, still another testament to measurement errors.

Additionally, Corsair should really think about the measurements more scientifically, factoring in the real resolution/accuracy/precision in the PSU hardware/firmware and not just put decimals in the shown numbers wildly. For example, if the ADC resolution is 10 bits and the masurement range is, say, 10 A, that leaves a maximum resolution of about 10 mA, and in the Amp readings then no more than two decimals should be shown.

Well as I said, my AX860i shows about 70 % efficiency in Link when idle. I do believe this is an error in the measurement software only, as I have seen a couple of reviews (that have done real power measurements) of this PSU that have shown efficienciens close to what is promised (80 plus platinum, meaning something like 90+ efficiency). Of course there's always the possibility that this is really a hardware fault, but based on my knowledge of electronics and software, I am still putting this blame on the UI side of the software (meaning that it only shows wrong, but really is as promised behind the scenes), hoping of course that Corsair can correct this simply by releasing a new version of software/firmware.

As for the fan, I have seen that the fan in the AX860i has turned on when the load gets higher, but have not really tested what the real switch-on point is. The specs say that the fan turns on at about 20 % load (for AX760i and AX860i, for the AX1200i it's about 30 %).

Archived