Corsair Community

A water cooling question

Bob Holmes

I'm old (71 this yr) and not very smart, and I am in the process of rebuilding my PC one last time while my eyes are still good enough to see the connectors. I plan to get a Corsair water cooling thing for an AMD cpu, but what I am reading, I'm afraid I just don't understand fully. When it says the cooler is compatible with AM3 socket CPU's, will they fit AM3+ also? And just one more, and this one may be a little vague but I don't know another way to ask. On an AMD motherboard with a AM3+ cpu, is it gonna be necessary to put on some sort of backplate behind the mb before the cooler can be installed? I had thought that was only applicable to Intel processors. That whole thing sounds scary to me, and it might make me just stick with the fan/heatsink that comes with the cpu. Well, thanks very much for any help, and let me apologize for my ignorance. But any advice you can give is very appreciated.

1. When it says the cooler is compatible with AM3 socket CPU's, will they fit AM3+ also?

2. On an AMD motherboard with a AM3+ cpu, is it gonna be necessary to put on some sort of backplate behind the mb before the cooler can be installed?

3. I had thought that was only applicable to Intel processors. That whole thing sounds scary to me, and it might make me just stick with the fan/heatsink that comes with the cpu.

Hi Sir,

In my humble opinion and knowledge..

1. Depends on the motherboard, but almost all am3 and am3+ boards had the same type and size of heatsink bracket. So yes, if it fits in am3 it will also fit in am3+ and vice versa.

2. With h60 second generation, h80i, and h100i, you just have to place a magnetic bracket on the waterblock + add couple of clip and screws, and voila.. then you proceeds just like placing stock cooler on top of the processor.. only difference is, with stock cooler you have to press a lever to secure the heatsink, with the hydro's you have to tighten two thumb screw to secure it.

3. Removing and replacing backplate isn't scary, just too much of a hassle because you have to unload the motherboard from the case (depens on what case you have). And the h60se, h80i, and h100i only need alternative backplate on intel platform.

Hope my poor knowledge of English grammar doesn't confuse you when reading my post :p:

Hi,

From your specs I have the same processor. What the "Quick Start Guide" does not really explain is that with an AMD processor you need the mounts off the processor otherwise you have nothing to put screws into and that's where I had a pink kitten until I realized where I had gone wrong.

It isn't a drama. My mobo/case has a cutout at the back so I didn't have to take my board out

Archived