Corsair Community

Single + dual channel ram

loki592

So couple questions here. I have a MSI neo2 875p MB (I think) and I have TWIN1024-3200 C2 DDR400 sticks.(2 sticks so 1gig total)

Now my quesion is, do I have to add dual channel ram into the second bank ? I found a good deal on VS512MB400 sticks but these dont say dual channel anywhere. They are pc3200 DDR 400 speed so the speed and size of all 4 sticks would be the same but the first 2 specifically say dual channel.

Also since Im reading that dual channel isnt that much of a performance increase, could I just set the MB to single channel for all the ram and use the 4 sticks I described above ?

Edit : my motherboard is actually MSI 865PE neo2 (I was close !)

• Corsair Employees
Well you can not mix these 2 types of memory, please use one or the other but not both! However, Dual channel is a function of the chipset not the memory. In order for Dual channel to work you would only need to install 2 modules that are exactly matched in the correct slots and they will run in dual channel!

Hmm ok, another question then, If dual channel is a function of the chipset(and I think I can set mine to either single or dual) then why couldnt I use the 2 TWIN sticks in bank 0 and the 2 value select sticks in bank 1 and set the MB to single channel ram ?

(sorry for all the questions, I dont know alot about ram :( )

Well that's a different reason. Because TwinX and VS are definitely based on different ICs (memory chips) they may not be compatible with each other. Also, they would need to be run at the timings of the slowest stick, in this case the VS sticks.

Archived