Corsair Community

NEED HELP!!! BIOS configuration and settings: Smart-rookie using TwinX1024-3200C2PT

QWK_SLVR

OK, hello everyone, this is first time I try to put a message like this in cyberspace so here goes nothing …

I had purchased four sets of TwinX1024-3200C2PT (that’s right, FOUR) so that I can have 2GB of RAM for each of the two motherboards I was buying (ASUS P4P800-VM and an Intel D875PBZ). I have just got the ASUS running and I need help setting up my BIOS for this RAM to work right I think. What is meant by “tightening up” on all these posts? What are the best settings? Can I experiment with over-clocking using these? Can someone help me? First the ASUS:

CPU: Pentium IV 3.0C (512k L2)

RAM: TwinX1024-3200C2PT x 2 = 2GB

Mother Board: ASUS P4P800-VM (Micro ATX)

Power Supply: Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480W

Hard Drive: Seagate 200GB w/ 8MB cache (running XP Pro)

Media Drive: Sony CRX320A combo CDRW/DVD-Rom (52/32/52-16)

56k Modem: US Robotics Performance Pro Modem (yes, dial-up for now…)

All wrapped up in a tiny old VAIO case. I will not be putting anything else in this machine except MAYBE a Sony Dual Layer DVDRW instead of the current Sony CDRW/DVD combo in the future. Still thinking about it. No audio card or video card. Onboard A/V is just fine for me on this one. I have not updated the BIOS and I don’t know if new settings or configurations will be available to open up but currently this is what I have to work with (version 8.00.09?):

DDR Reference Voltage:{ Auto, 2.55v, 2.65v }

DRAM Frequency: { Auto, 266MHz, 333MHz, 400MHz }

Configure DRAM Timing by SPD: { Enabled, Disabled }

IF Disabled this shows up:

DRAM CAS# Latency: { 2.0 Clocks, 2.5 Clocks, 3.0 Clocks }

DRAM RAS# Precharge: { 2 Clocks, 3 Clocks, 4 Clocks }

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: { 2 Clocks, 3 Clocks, 4 Clocks }

DRAM Precharge Delay: { 5 Clocks, 6 Clocks, 7 Clocks, 8 Clocks }

DRAM Burst Length: { 4 Clocks, 8 Clocks }

What should I do? Are there any other settings or configurations in BIOS that I should be concerned with? WHY does the CPU & Mobo temps read higher in BIOS than in the ASUS PC Probe software? Anybody know that one?

And last but not least, the Intel:

CPU: Pentium IV 3.0E (1MB L2)

RAM: TwinX1024-3200C2PT x 2 = 2GB

Mother Board: Intel D875PBZ (ATX)

Power Supply: Turbo-Cool 510 Deluxe (from PC Power & Cooling)

Hard Drives: Seagate 80GB w/ 8MB cache (running XP Home)

Seagate 200GB w/ 8MB cache

Media Drives: Plextor Plexwriter Premium CDRW (52/32/52)

Plextor PX-712A DVDRW

Audio Card: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Video Card: ATI RADEON 9800XT

56k Modem: US Robotics Performance Pro Modem (dial-up again…)

Wrapped in an Antec Super Lanboy Case. I’m waiting for that new ATI X800 XT video card to come out, then I’ll switch it in. Other than that, no more upgrades planned. Are these sets of RAM suitable for this machine? I know I can’t do much over-clocking on this rig, so what are the best settings and configurations? Anything I should be aware of?

These are my first complete builds. I’m at about two years since my first PC (HP 752w from Wal Mart!) and have been learning a lot ever since.

Well, I just want the best I can get with what I have and squeeze every bit I can out of them while being reliable and stable. All help and advice is GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS!

Me

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest that you let the bios set the timings and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts. I would check the user manual for the correct memory Frequency as I understand it you may have to run the memory at DDR333 with more then 2 banks and with 4 modules you will have 8 banks! But please check the user manual!

OK RAM gay,

THAT'S OBVIOUS. I'm trying to set it better than the defaults. I KNOW I can do better than the defaults. Did you even read my post? Anybody else have any bright ideas? I'm assuming there are more than one RAM guy. I've read better help and explanations out there. Oh well, whatever. I guess I'll do Crucial. Thanks for trying.

Me

Asus has been known in the past to have had in the past problems reading temps, that may be the problem. Check over at http://www.asusforums.org, they may know about your specific board, if it has this problem.

FYI, there's only 1 Ram Guy.

As for the settings, what he was saying is that Corsair can't guarantee the timings when running more than 1 pair of sticks. Also, because with that board in your scenario it will only run at 333 Mhz, the timings may be able to be tweaked better, but maybe not.

Try these settings, but they may not work (and probably won't):

DRAM Frequency: 333MHz

Configure DRAM Timing by SPD: Disabled

DRAM CAS# Latency: 2.0 Clocks

DRAM RAS# Precharge: 3 Clocks

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3 Clocks

DRAM Precharge Delay: 6 Clocks

DRAM Burst Length: 4 Clocks

If they don't, try:

DRAM CAS# Latency: 3.0 Clocks

DRAM RAS# Precharge: 3 or 4 Clocks

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3 or 4 Clocks

DRAM Precharge Delay: 8 Clocks

I have a suggestion for you, GO OUT AND LEARN WHAT DIM MEANS BEFORE YOU EVEN MESS WITH LATENCIES. There are many threads and user forums for motherboards which will give you a clue. Ram GUY isn't here to set up your system FOR you. Especially when your question is posted under "Compatibility Questions". Go with the Crucial dude, I am sure their customer service is so much better. ;):

Pardon my rant Ram Guy and Wired.

Sorry, it disturbed me he decided to call Ram Guy, Ram GAY up there for not telling him how to set up his Intel Board which has no BIOS options. Doesn't look like a typo to me (not that there is anything wrong with that mind you--Seinfeld). I generally find that I gain more knowledge asking the right questions, and not BLASTING the guy trying to help me. One thing I have learned in the 2 years (I am a rookie myself) is that it is better to read several reviews of every piece of hardware you buy before making purchase. I will restrain myself from "smart-rookies" from now on.

Sorry, it disturbed me he decided to call Ram Guy, Ram GAY up there for not telling him how to set up his Intel Board which has no BIOS options. Doesn't look like a typo to me (not that there is anything wrong with that mind you--Seinfeld). I generally find that I gain more knowledge asking the right questions, and not BLASTING the guy trying to help me. One thing I have learned in the 2 years (I am a rookie myself) is that it is better to read several reviews of every piece of hardware you buy before making purchase. I will restrain myself from "smart-rookies" from now on.

Yes, it's doubtful that that was a typo, however as an admin/moderator, it's best for myself not to comment. Besides, someone else always does :) Anyway, troubleshooting can be stressful and bring out the worst in people for a brief moment. It may have just been a automatic reaction out of frustration, we've all been there. If not, well, then we have ways of dealing with them. BOIL THE OIL ye scurvy dogs! hehe, j/k. Either way, it's all good.

Hey,

I just got back on now to see what was up. WOW! All this fuss. All I wanted to find out if the RAM I got was compatible with my boards. And if they were, what would be the best settings. Simple links to sites or threads would have sufficed. I like to read. I'm on here TO LEARN. I didn't know I had to post every single question in it's category. I thought compatibility was the major issue I was having, so I posted here. IF you read my whole post, I thought I made that clear. Besides, I thought that's what this is all about, SHARING KNOWLEDGE.

Now, about the typo. Yes, it was a typo! I surely didn't mean to put gay on here (not that there is anything wrong with that...) or insult anyone. I just read it now when I read the last two posts! I'm on here TO LEARN. Sorry for your confusion:

LOL,

I would just load setup defaults and let the bios set every thing if that does not make sence too you!

OK RAM guy,

THAT'S OBVIOUS. I'm trying to set it better than the defaults. I KNOW I can do better than the defaults. Did you even read my post? Anybody else have any bright ideas? I'm assuming there are more than one RAM guy. I've read better help and explanations out there. Oh well, whatever. I guess I'll do Crucial. Thanks for trying.

That's how it was supposed to be. Read it over, I was just goin along with his sense of humor. NO BIGGIE. I honestly thought it was ok. Hard to express myself by just typing on here. I mean you no harm, I come in peace. Kinda crazy over here with all them Hurricanes! WHEW! Frances came way too close for comfort. KEEP GOIN IVAN!! When this is all over, I'd like to personally invite you guys down to one of my clubs. Drinks on the house. Any of you guys close to Miami?

• Corsair Employees

QWK_SLVR

All I can officially tell you would be what listed under XMS Qualification and Testing for any module that is listed! I am always happy to answer any question, but I am not permitted to tell you how to over clock or tweak a given system, other than what’s listed! With that being said, the system you have, the way I understand it, is an OEM system and most OEM systems do not give you the entire options needed to properly over clock! Not to mention, I have not ever even seen this MB and would not know what too tell you, other than just try what ever you like, and test with http://www.memtest.org to make sure the settings you have set are stable! In addition, before you modify any bios setting you should know how to reset the bios so you can get back too where you are or to a stable setting!

Archived