Corsair Community

CMX1024-3500LLPRO Problems

Lynx

Hi there. I am encountering problems with my CMX1024-3500LLPRO (TWINX2048-3500LLPRO, 2x1GB modules). I bought these a long time ago and have only recently started trying to use them.

On my Abit NF7-S2 motherboard with AMD XP Barton, I am unable to get the modules to work without giving errors in Memtest at the stock settings (217FSB, 2-3-2-6 @ 2.8V). I have tried using 200FSB with 2.5-3-2-11, which gives no errors in Memtest, but then errors in Prime95. Are there known problems with these modules and Nforce2 or AMD XP based systems?

Using my old Corsair XMS 3500 2x256MB modules, I have no errors using similar timings / settings.

Can someone verify from the attached photographs that my modules are not counterfeit? I bought them from a local hardware store some time ago.

If these modules are defective, would Corsair be able to replace them for me? I know they are a few years old now!

Thanks for any help.

DSC01810-0.JPG.20b2f379349a4df225a1ec4fc834d272.JPG

DSC01810-1.JPG.4126c6f9e8199872ed69f42aa9f569b7.JPG

DSC01810-2.JPG.4b05763de189cbc52b50a82156637e19.JPG

DSC01810-3.JPG.4b897ec6cb71dd2ba2c77570bca315d4.JPG

Motherboard:

Abit NF7-S V2 (Nforce2 based)

CPU:

Model number: Athlon XP-M 2500+

Frequency: 1867 MHz

L2 Cache: 512 KB

FSB: 266 MT/s (actual 133)

Multiplier: 14x

Voltage: 1.45

Part number: AXMH2500FQQ4C

src:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Mobile%20Athlon%20XP-M%202500%2B%20-%20AXMH2500FQQ4C.html

Settings:

FSB: 217Mhz (real)

CPU Multiplier: 9.5

CPU Vcore: 1.5V

Chipset voltage: 1.6V

Timings: 2-3-2-6 (and 1T)

Ram voltage: 2.8V

(Errors also present at 200FSB, as above, but using 2.5-3-2-11-1T @ 2.8V)

Thoughts:

My CPU is actually rated to work at 133FSB. Could it be that this is the root of my problem?

I am doubtful, since I have had no problem with this CPU functioning at 200FSB, in terms of memory errors appearing, using my 2*256MB Corsair XMS 3500 CL2 modules @ 200FSB 2-2-2-11-1T @ 2.8V. I have read about an "L12" mod, which makes the motherboard think the CPU is a 166FSB CPU. Would it make a difference for me to use this mod?

But perhaps the above is unrelated to the memory errors that I am experiencing running my larger capacity 2*1GB corsair modules at the stock settings.

Might it be necessary for me to reset the CMOS?

Your thoughts?

• Corsair Employee
Then that is what is wrong you have to set the Memory frequency to match the CPU FSB About 333Mhz. In other words the fastest you could run the memory frequency would be DDR333 at these CPU settings and I would suggest setting the command Rate at 2T. And you will want to set the memory Voltage to 2.75 Volts and set the NF200/Nfroce SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts over default.

Then that is what is wrong you have to set the Memory frequency to match the CPU FSB About 333Mhz. In other words the fastest you could run the memory frequency would be DDR333 at these CPU settings and I would suggest setting the command Rate at 2T. And you will want to set the memory Voltage to 2.75 Volts and set the NF200/Nfroce SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts over default.

I am confused by this. My CPU runs fine at 200FSB.

My memory frequency is matched with my CPU FSB (1:1) and I have never had problems running the CPU FSB at speeds of 200FSB and above with my older Corsair XMS3500 modules.

How could it be that I experience no memory errors at 200FSB or above with my previous memory and yet experience memory errors with the newer memory modules running using the same CPU settings?

• Corsair Employee
You said that you has the CPU FSB at 1867 MHz with a multiplier at 14 that means the CPU FSB is 133 Mhz this you are limited to DDR333 for memory. I would suggest speaking with the Mb manufacturer. but what you have posted would NOT suggest the memory is the issue..

These LLPRO modules are advertised to be run at 217FSB (434DDR), but obviously there is no such thing as a 217FSB CPU. However, one just sets the FSB and multiplier for the CPU as appropriate. Surely Corsair had this in mind when advertising their 217Mhz (434DDR) memory?

You said that you has the CPU FSB at 1867 MHz with a multiplier at 14 that means the CPU FSB is 133 Mhz this you are limited to DDR333 for memory. I would suggest speaking with the Mb manufacturer. but what you have posted would NOT suggest the memory is the issue..

Those particular parameters were simply pulled from Wikipedia for the CPU, which is an AMD XP-M Barton chip (as specified above under "Cpu:"). Everyone in this community knows well that AMD XP Barton chips can run at just about any FSB (and certainly 217FSB). Indeed, my CPU will run very happilly at 200FSB/217FSB or higher (reducing the multiplier as appropriate).

But my CPU is not the issue here.

Later on in my post under "Settings:" I specified:

Settings:

FSB: 217Mhz (real)

CPU Multiplier: 9.5

CPU Vcore: 1.5V

Chipset voltage: 1.6V

Timings: 2-3-2-6 (and 1T)

Ram voltage: 2.8V

(Errors also present at 200FSB, as above, but using 2.5-3-2-11-1T @ 2.8V)

So as you can see, I am running at 217FSB (and using the timings quoted in the sales literature for my modules).

Using the exact same settings with my older Corsair XMS 3500CL2 2x256MB modules, I have no problems. When I put in my newer TWINX2048-3500LLPRO 2x1GB modules however, I get memory errors in Memtest. Which frustrates me, because for some reason they are not wanting to run at their advertised settings.

Hopefully my situation is clearer now? Can you help me to understand what is happening here? Can you suggest specific settings for me to try at 217FSB, so that I can get my memory working at the advertised settings (217FSB 2-3-2-6)?

• Corsair Employee
That would still suggest it is the CPU topping out and not the memory failing and I would try and set the command Rate to 2t and test them one at a time. And I would test the memory on another system that will support that speed with out over clocking the CPU that high to test.

I tried setting setting CPU to reduced parameters (1600Mhz, underclocked) and command rate to 2T as you suggested. Same errors.

We have to bear in mind that my system runs perfectly stable with my older Corsair ram, on the same or higher performance CPU settings.

I struggle to see how simply replacing my older Corsair ram with the newer RAM and using the same settings can result in all these errors, both in Memtest86+ (50 memory errors at 200FSB 2-3-2-6-2T at 2.8V on Test no. 5) and Prime95 (rounding error), without the RAM being at fault here. Under linux, I receive multiple Machine Check Exception errors, with codes revealing the memory as the cause of the errors (saved in an mcelog after Kernel machine check events logged). I can post these Machine Check Exception errors, if this would be helpful?

As I said, my system runs fine in similiar or higher performance settings using my older Corsair memory. How can simply using larger capacity sticks result in errors, without the RAM being at fault? I will try to test the RAM individually later, but, surely here Ram Guy, the memory really is at fault here?

AMDs like 2t always.

also look for different bios's. on mine i used manta-rays cpc off bios and ran the same ram at 2,2,2,5 2t for years.

could just be a bios issue, have you updated to the latest? try older ones or custom ones like from Manta-Ray just google it.

good luck, i could not find a stock bios that worked with the llpt ram, thats why i looked at custom ones.

AMDs like 2t always.

also look for different bios's. on mine i used manta-rays cpc off bios and ran the same ram at 2,2,2,5 2t for years.

could just be a bios issue, have you updated to the latest? try older ones or custom ones like from Manta-Ray just google it.

good luck, i could not find a stock bios that worked with the llpt ram, thats why i looked at custom ones.

Thanks for your post!

Can your remember your exact settings and hardware? Were you using the LLPRO ram I have outlined above? 2x1GB? I didn't think LLPRO ram would accept timings of 2-2-2-5, requiring rather 2-*3*-2-5 at a minimum. I did try one of the Manta Ray bios images, but can't remember whether it was the one with CPC off or not. It would be helpful to have the exact settings you used, so I have a reference point.

At the moment I think my RAM is defective.

Let me know!

• Corsair Employee
The Timings are printed on the modules as to what is supported IE Cas 2-2-2-5 or 2-3-2-5? And I would try setting the memory frequency at DDR333 and test them again with http://www.memtest.org see if you still get errors. If you have a failing module they will fail at any frequency. Once we have established that you have a failing module or not we can move forward. However, I can answer direct questions but I cannot tell you how to over clock.

Archived