Corsair Community

AX860 Whine

prospect.jp

Hi,

So I am getting the dreaded whine from this PSU. So far my experience with Corsair has been quite sour, as the H100i I had, had a loose back plate, to which I had to add a set of rubber washers in order to get it snug. Now I am having led issues, as green is the only light I see. I don't have issues with the fans, cause I am using my own fan controller with them.

So I have the AX860, which I got over the 860i since its made by Seasonic, has a quieter fan, and was not too interested in the AX860i Link software. However it has a whine. I have requested an RMA number, it is 5590829. Are there any AX860s available that don't have the whine? I am located in Toronto, Ontario Canada. Is there a local Corsair depot, or do I have to wait for shipping from the states? Additionally, is there a way Corsair can send a tested unit, versus me sending mine first, and being stuck with no power for my PC?

Thanks,

JP

I had a AX860 with the same whine. I chose this model instead the "i" one for the same than you, Seasonic design. There are a lot of cases so I think it could be a faulty batch or similar. Made RMA and finally replaced by the AX860i and for muy surprise it works flawless, zero noise, absolutely perfect. I would recommend you to do the same and get the AX860i, request for another same AX860 for replacement may be a bad idea.

Regards!

• 2 weeks later...

Got my advance RMA last week on Wednesday, put it in last night, and this one also has a coil whine. I followed the Noisy PSU post and disabled the ErP, and EIST. Played with the toggle for Normal and Hybrid, but no luck.

Do I RMA again?

I'm running this on a Asus P8Z77i with a 3770K, and Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB.

I would give it a week or so if you can hang onand see if it doesn't quiet down. I have seen cases where coil whine goes away after some use.

But in the event it doesn't make sure you let them know the replacement needs to be replaced. They may offer you an advanced one and also pick up the shipping both ways.

Loose windings inside the transformer is the source of the noise.

Is this confirmed?

Is there anyway you guys can test the unit your sending out to make sure it is not plagued with whine issues? Or can we be bumped to the AX860i if that doesn't whine? I think its ridiculous, to have to keep taking your case apart and trying out replacement PSUs, till you get one that doesn't whine.

I also have the same problem with my AX860. I have to say i was not expecting to hear anything from the PSU. And ok fair enough i dont when my PC is just sitting there or gaming, But the whine from the PSU when my system is powered of is to my mind just mad.

From what i have just read here i dont wanna go down the route of RMA and getting another that does the same, nor do i wanna have to upgrade to the AX860i.

Is there a change that after some heavy use the coil whine will go?

RMA Number: 1287368

Item has been in hold at the border, as reported by UPS since Wednesday.

I called yesterday, apparently the person handling the shipping of the item wrote it was worth $1, and it weighs 8.8 lbs. I told UPS it was a warranty replacement, as which point they said that was not written on the slip, leading to why it was being held by customs.

I'm hoping someone from Corsair will contact UPS and clarify, as they need information to resubmit the paperwork.

prospect this is something you really need to call CS and discuss with them. Not only would it be the fastest way to get his handled it is not something that can be addressed here on the forums.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnoen View Post

Loose windings inside the transformer is the source of the noise.

Is this confirmed?

Absolutely not! There are few different things that could cause the whine including the fan controller,coil and so on.

In the case of fastman it really would suggest some other issue since he's had three of them. It could be anything from line in voltage to issues with his GPU causing it. There have been plenty of examples where certain GPU's have caused the coil whine. So to say for sure that it's "loose windings" is a stretch when there has been nothing reported or said officially.

I'm in no way saying that he hasn't had issues , just that there may be something in his system or wiring that just isn't playing nice with that particular PSU.

If there has been then please post a link to this information.

• 2 weeks later...

That really sucks dude, I bought the AX 860 and it had the same exact problem. Amazon sent me a replacement, same issues. Corsair support wouldn't answer & their RMA system costs me money on a PSU that I just bought brand new.

I bought the AX860i, and no problems whatsoever. If I would have known about this issue ( forgot to look up the reviews on Newegg) I would have gone with the digital version. So much for a "premium product"

• Corsair Employee
prospect - I have passed this along to our customer service and see if there is something that needs to be done to get this resolved. My advice to you is, give our customer service a call and state the issue with them, that way if they need some info from you, they can simply get it over the phone rather than email.

Archived