Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI and 8x Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 4gb - will it work?

Baberidge

Hi guys

We are about to embark on three builds based around the Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI motherboard, Intel i7 3820 SB-E CPU and Gigabyte GTX670 GPU's. All machines will be running Ubuntu and will be primarily for editing and rendering in Blender and Lightworks. Each machine is to have 32gb of ram. We will not be overclocking anything.

The Corsair Vengenance 1600mhz 16gb kits that are "optimised for X79" (at least according to one retailer) - CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9 - seem to fit the bill for our budget. I do have a couple of questions:

1. Is it feasable to use two kits per machine to get 32gb out of the eight slots? I read that this can cause problems with some Asus X79 boards, when memory from different batches are mixed. Any experiences with the Gigabyte UP5-wifi?

2. If I were to use a kit with 8gb sticks -say CMZ32GX3M4A1600C9 - in order to get the 32gb required for each machine with four sticks (and therefore one kit per machine), would it be feasable to buy another kit of the same memory in six months time to take the ram up to 64gb?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. We've been waiting for quite some time for these machines and we want to get them right.

Over to the experts!

multiple kits are not supported, suggested or recommended.

Is it feasible to use two kits per machine to get 32gb out of the eight slots? I read that this can cause problems with some Asus X79 boards, when memory from different batches are mixed.

not just X79 boards, all MB.

this is why having more than 1 kit is not officially supported in any configuration.

in some cases users have lowered the speed to 1333 or 1066 to get the combined sets to play nice together but thats few and far between.

why not a single 64G kit right from the gate?

why not a single 64G kit right from the gate?

Price! We're building three of the blighters, a decision to save a few quid had to be made somewhere.

Thanks very much for the info. We'll go with 4x8gb DIMMS for now, with this motherboard there is the option to use Xeons with ECC memory, so we'll bear this in mind when upgrade time comes - the machines will get their 64gig one day. Plus we'll have a load of DDR3 DIMMS to play with :sunglasse

Thanks again.

Archived