Corsair Community

Corsair 850AX -> are cables compatible with 1200AX?

s1rrah

Hi ...

I'm currently using a Corsair 850AX with the following build:

2700K @ 5GHZ (24/7)

GTX 670 4GB @ 1250mhz

(that's the main power pulls, anyway)

I am considering going SLI by adding a second GTX 670 4GB and I would at the same time be adding a new Corsair 1200AX to replace the 850AX as I'm pretty sure that would be the safest route power wise ...

But what I'm curious about and because I really don't want to unroute all my existing power supply cables, is if I can simply unplug the power cables from the main 850AX block (for video card, hard drives, DVD drives, etc.) and then just place the new 1200AX block in place of the 850AX block and simply plug the same cables into the ports of the new 1200AX??

I mean, are the two PSU's compatible in that regard? Does the 1200AX PSU use the same (female) ports on the main block as the 800AX?

This would make the upgrade a whole lot more painless as I wouldn't have to destroy my cable management that is already in place.

Thanks for any information ...

best ...

.joel

They are not compatible unfortunately the AX1200 cables only fit the AX1200.

See: http://www.corsair.com/en/media/cms/manual/PSU_Sleeved_Compatibility_Matrix2.pdf

Is the extra power really needed? I agree a nice shiny PSU is always good when your hardware is at the mercy of it but 850 should handle it?

thanks for the reply ...

And I'm not sure that referenced .pdf so much covers the actual "connectors" (the part that plugs in to the PSU block) as it does simply reference sleeve types ... so still on the fence ....

I honestly can't see why Corsair would use different *connectors* on their AX series but it could still be possible ...

RE: Power ...

I think two overclocked 670's and a fairly massively overclocked 2700K CPU (along with three internal hard drives and a DVD drive) would be under powered by a single AX850 ... especially when gaming and running benchmarks when all three main components are quite literally completely maxxed.

I could always try it but I know first hand the damage that an over taxed PSU can do and so I always (since then) opt for a bit of power headroom.

Thanks again for the reply and the link ...

Anybody else (perhaps a corsair tech) have any comments?

Thanks!

.joel

On second thought ... I just found a good set of images showing the port areas on the blocks and you are correct .. there are small differences here and there that would make it impossible ...

dango! I'll just have to do a rework of everything then ... no biggee, really ...

Thanks again...

Archived