Corsair Community

Brand New XH850 Failing Paperclip Test

slinki

• Corsair Employee

Nope. Bad batches are for cookies. Every PSU hits a load tester as it leaves the factory, right before it goes in the box. That's the case for every PSU, from every factory.

Not sure what fault the retailers actually found, but you're more than welcome to send me one those PSUs. ;)

No, I wasn't. Please read through the entire thread.

1. A Corsair member of staff has agreed with my findings.

2. The retailers I RMAd the PSUs to have carried out their own checks and found fault.

3. The original instructions I followed to diagnose the PSU, were from Corsairs own website.

I do find it entertaining though that you, and not any representative from Corsair, have questioned or pointed out to me about this fanless mode you speak of. Seems that would be the first thing someone would ask me to check!

I did read through the thread and still find it hard to believe and mentioned the fanless mode because nobody else did and figured it was worth bringing up.

Like Yellowbeard said, it is statistically impossible to have that many dead PSUs in a row. Even if they're bargain basement PSUs.

Just to clarify a few things for you:

RAM GUY, Yellowbeard, and jonnyguru are all Corsair employess. We interceded in this thread to try to help you.

FANLESS MODE EXPLAINED IN THE STICKY I POSTED FOR "THE PAPERCLIP TEST"

UPDATE FOR CORSAIR FANLESS MODE PSUs OCTOBER 2012

This same test is valid with our current PSUs models that utilize a Fanless Mode. Our PSUs with Fanless Mode at low loads do not spin up the fan at low loads. The fan will only spin up at certain loads so the PSU fan will not spin on a simple test like this. Be sure to check the specifications for your PSU to see if it does have a fanless mode

We're interested in finding at least one of these PSUs for failure analysis so that we can determine if they are in fact defective.

My main problem is that I have a board that wont boot, and I am trying to eliminate the problem.

If you have answered my question, I have missed it. Does this board you are using work properly with ANY of the PSUs you have used? FWIW, using a questionable MOBO is not a good diagnostic tool. ;):

• 2 weeks later...
Nope. Bad batches are for cookies.

Really? Did you actually just say that?

Just to clarify a few things for you:

RAM GUY, Yellowbeard, and jonnyguru are all Corsair employess. We interceded in this thread to try to help you.

Ok lets just look at that quickly a second.

RAM GUY has been very helpful, interceeding in the thread from the start. His title is that of "Corsair Product Guru", so I can assume that he works for Corsair (although I could also easily assume other wise as employee is no where mentioned.)

Moving on, jonnyguru's title is that of "Registered User". Now what part of that explains that hes a Corsair employee? To me, a "Registered User" is just that, a Registered User. But thanks for enlightening me.

And you, Yellowbeard, have only now decided to pitch in. Better late than never I suppose!

We're interested in finding at least one of these PSUs for failure analysis so that we can determine if they are in fact defective.

And how exactly would that work? Who would pay for the postage? Who would reimburse me the cost of the PSU?

If you have answered my question, I have missed it. Does this board you are using work properly with ANY of the PSUs you have used? FWIW, using a questionable MOBO is not a good diagnostic tool. ;):

I find that ammusing considering you actually edited the post that answers this question, but let me repeat it for you..

Yes.

And while we are on the subject of that particular post, I dont appreciate you editing my post to change the meaning. If you felt the need to remove what I had written, at least remove all of it, don't leave in the word "Sorry" as If I was apologizing for something.

FWIW, using a questionable MOBO is not a good diagnostic tool. ;):
Really? Thanks for that tip. Reminds me of earlier in the thread when this was posted -->
I would make sure the paper clip you use is metallic and not coated; if its not it will not power on the PSU.
When the theory of electrical conductivity was cleared up.

You guys also may be interested in the email I just received.

RMA - Product Faulty

We are contacting you to confirm that the comprehensive testing process has been completed on your item and it has been found to be Faulty.

If your item falls within the 28 day DOA period, please can you call us on 0121 2020 030 (Option 2) or reply to this email to confirm the date and delivery address for a replacement.

If your item is outside of the DOA period we will now process your warranty repair to resolve the issues and will update accordingly once this has been completed..

So, I guess you guys should inform them of your infallible power supplies, and how bad batches are just for cookies. I guess their testing processes must suck huh? As must the other companies testing processes. Im sure they love having to pay extra postage for a replacement unit, without even testing it properly.

I think were done here.

• Corsair Employee
Really? Did you actually just say that?

I sure did. :D

For a production run of an electronic part to fall victim to "bad batch", there would have to be almost zero quality control.

Not just Corsair, but most brand name power supplies go through several ATEs during the assembly process and THEN sits in a burn-in cabinet for several hours.

DOA's simply do not leave the factory. That said, there are DOAs, but they are typically only about 1% and don't occur until after the unit is shipped (i.e. shipping damage or just poor handling in transit).

I have seen greater failure rates, but this is usually caused by shipping mishaps. Sometimes, resellers will get master cartons (the boxes that have 4 to 5 units within one box) get absolutely brutalized by UPS, FedEx, etc. The PSU is packed fairly well, but that box can only get thrown and dropped so many times without something breaking inside. The other time I see failures happen again and again is when retailers feel it's Ok to just slap a shipping label on the outside of a retail box and ship the PSU that way. It happens way too often and I cringe every time I see it.

DOA's simply do not leave the factory.

That said, there are DOAs, but they are typically only about 1% and don't occur until after the unit is shipped (i.e. shipping damage or just poor handling in transit).

Quite possibly the fastest contradiction I have ever witnessed.

Also - by definition of Dead on Arrival, it needs to leave the factory before it arrives somewhere.

• Corsair Employee
Quite possibly the fastest contradiction I have ever witnessed.

Also - by definition of Dead on Arrival, it needs to leave the factory before it arrives somewhere.

It's a contradiction if you choose to not read/comprehend the whole post.

Dead units do not leave the factory. I never contradicted that. What I did say is that some units do ARRIVE dead after shipping.

Although you are correct about the term "DOA". For it to arrive dead, it has to first leave the factory. But now you're just trolling because what I was actually addressing was your whole "bad batch" theory.

I cannot for the life of me understand why this situation has turned antagonistic. We want to recover at least one of these power supplies AT NO COST TO YOU for the recovery. All we've tried to do is to ensure that proper troubleshooting has been done, clarify what does or does not constitute a bad batch, and work out a way to create a satisfied customer.

Also, FYI, I edited the implied profanity out of your post that I edited. Happy customer or not, there's no need for that here.

So, let's cut to the chase please.

1. Do you or do you not want to get a working PSU? We'll cover the shipping.

2. Are you willing to help us recover one of the PSUs you have already returned so that we can properly look into this situation?

I sure did. :D

For a production run of an electronic part to fall victim to "bad batch", there would have to be almost zero quality control.

Not just Corsair, but most brand name power supplies go through several ATEs during the assembly process and THEN sits in a burn-in cabinet for several hours.

DOA's simply do not leave the factory. That said, there are DOAs, but they are typically only about 1% and don't occur until after the unit is shipped (i.e. shipping damage or just poor handling in transit).

I have seen greater failure rates, but this is usually caused by shipping mishaps. Sometimes, resellers will get master cartons (the boxes that have 4 to 5 units within one box) get absolutely brutalized by UPS, FedEx, etc. The PSU is packed fairly well, but that box can only get thrown and dropped so many times without something breaking inside. The other time I see failures happen again and again is when retailers feel it's Ok to just slap a shipping label on the outside of a retail box and ship the PSU that way. It happens way too often and I cringe every time I see it.

Ok, first off im not getting in to and argument or suggesting anyone is right or wrong, but the point i want to make is simple, it happens, i work for a well known company that makes brake calipers, and despite having great audits from the customers, bad batches can get to the customer, i have worked for this company for 20 years and have seen all sort that you would not believe, exceptional circumstances that you can not make up, i myself have suffer serious injury as a result of a high pressure test failing, now without going in to loads of details, human error is the biggest factor in most cases, dont matter how many fail safes you have in place, you be surprise how many times bad production gets to the customer, main reason is that 99% of the time these things are running smooth, and that when people get complacent and take it for granted that everything is working as it should be, and passing all the automated test along the way, now i find it hard to believe every single unit is tested before its boxed, normally one in so many are tested and if no fault found it carrys on, but if a fault is found then the check them all and all the way back to the last check, but i dont work for corsair so maybe im wrong, only MSI i know of test every single M power board, and only this board in the range, and this is reflected in the price, as corsair dont make these PSU them self then i guess we will never know unless you have been part of an Audit team that goes and visits Seasonic manufacturing plant to see the process from start to finish :)

now i find it hard to believe every single unit is tested before its boxed, normally one in so many are tested and if no fault found it carrys on, but if a fault is found then the check them all and all the way back to the last check, but i dont work for corsair so maybe im wrong,

They may not make them themselves but each Corsiair PSU is designed around THEIR specs not off of a reference model. They also use more than one manufacturer to build their PSU's.

It's not like the auto industry where they test just certain random samples or know lots that may have been made with a bad batch or ssteel, aluminum or whatever the material may be. It's a totally different ball game.

As stated EVERY PSU is tested before it leaves the factory. That much is fact.

only MSI i know of test every single M power board, and only this board in the range, and this is reflected in the price, as corsair dont make these PSU them self then i guess we will never know unless you have been part of an Audit team that goes and visits Seasonic manufacturing plant to see the process from start to finish :)

I'm not quite sure why a Mb got drug into this , but all of the well known brand name manufacturers do test each and every MB before it leaves the factory. There are plenty of video's online about ASUS manufacturing process and also gigabyte factory tours. They all have go through a QC process and testing to be sure they are working before being shipped.

Archived