Corsair Community

Does Corsair Link Settings work without running Windows?

AureusPhoenix

Hi Guys,

I am thinking about buying a Corsair Link for my new system. But before I will do that, I have an important question:

Is the cooling and lighting profile stored in the Corsair Link Commander while I am not in Windows? Or is everything just working while the software is running?

I just have to ask because I am using linux most of the time. It would be stupid to buy a Corsair Link if it is just working while I am in Windows.

Thanks for your help!

beste regards,

AureusPhoenix

First off, I switch between Ubuntu 12.10 and Windows daily, AND I own the corsair link commander, multiple lighting and cooling nodes, and the gpu power meter.

I have about one month of experience with the corsair link under my belt. I will say it is a cool toy, but requires a lot more development. Corsair's link support is almost non-existent.

When the computer first powers on, Corsair link does some self test, then resorts to a kind of default mode. This includes high fan speeds(noisy). When you boot into windows and the required processes start up, THEN your custom cooling and lighting profiles gets loaded and takes effect. The loaded profile remains in effect until power is lost to the unit. So, in order for your custom cooling profiles to run in linux, you must first boot into windows, then reboot into Linux without fully shutting down.

I have not yet gotten Corsair Link 2 software to run under linux (using Wine) and there doesn't seem to be any SDKs or source code available(and I do not feel optimistic that corsair will be providing this).

Also note the corsair link software must be running in order for the unit to recieve temp readings from onboard sensors(cpu temp).

So in conclusion, no, it will not be useful on a dedicated linux box. It is a fun toy, but dependable and flexable- no, not without opening up development to the enthusiest community.

im not sure if all of this is accurate as once booted into windows and link runs,you can reboot and link still runs from its initial state ,its only when a cold boot is done that link re-initializes

on cold boot the fans max spin but during future warm boots,they keep their spin low as link still is in memory state

Corsair has said that this will not run under Linux. even if the profiles were saved the link would not be able to read values under Linux making it a useless product. So if you have fan curves dependent on temp, your SOL because it wont work. Linux is unsupported as is windows 8. If you do a soft reboot in windows and STAY in windows then yes it will work. (actually windows 7 is not really supported either lol) but hopefully soon.

How about running Linux in a virtual environment within Windows?

VMWare or the MS Virtual machine both allow Linux installation...

Then, you could boot the Windows PC as noral, and start the virtual machine running Linux. Windows & the Link commander/Link2 taking care of the temp of the PC hardware...

Just a thought!

Hey guys,

I use a virtual machine my self, to manage corsair link. You can edit settings, load profiles and everything. I hate windows and therefore am not dual booting. After a cold boot you do have to run the virtual machine again.

But it certainly beats having to keep windows.

Archived