Corsair Community

Defective CMP16GX3M2X1866C9 kit

dejanh

Hi there,

After troubleshooting for over a week now and almost buying an all new set of video cards, it turns out that I actually have a bad kit of CMP16GX3M2X1866C9 memory. I have purchased 4 of these kits from Newegg about 1.5-2 months ago for my work/production machines and have been having issues every since. For a while I thought it was my video causing problems, but more recently I started to look at memory as the culprit. Long story short, I finally confirmed that one out of the four kits errors out in Memtest86+ 4.20 test #6 and #8. I have tried to set up an Advance Replacement (Advance RMA) though the online form, but unfortunately my kit is not listed in the drop-down menu for the memory (it is listed on the site however and sold by Newegg http://www.corsair.com/en/dominator-with-dhx-pro-connector-1-5v-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmp16gx3m2x1866c9.html). I need the kit replaced quickly as I am using this in my production machine for work.

Again, the kit that I need replaced is CMP16GX3M2X1866C9. I also need to make sure that the replacement kit is not from ver3.24 as that seems to be a problem batch in general and it is the bad batch that I am returning that has already tested faulty (see here for other reports of issues with this version http://www.overclock.net/t/1307995/need-some-advice-on-memory-errors-64gb-of-corsair-dominator-gt-1866/40#post_18387366). The person reporting on that forum had every one of his ver3.24 quad-channel kits erroring out in Memtest86+, exactly like me.

Please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Hi dejanh

Did you check for motherboard Bios update? As it improve compatibility and stability ove system.

Do you do some overclock on CPU? That could affect memory stability. Do you run with 2 kits ove CMP16GX3M2X1866C9? As it never good to mixte memory kits, even if its the same model and version. Corsair give no support as for mixing memory kits.

If u are running with 4 memory modual you may have to increase Vram from 1.5 to 1.525 volts.But never over 1.6 volts.

WAth or you system spec?

It could help us find yours trouble.

Hope this help

Sincerly yours

Hi dejanh

Did you check for motherboard Bios update? As it improve compatibility and stability ove system.

Do you do some overclock on CPU? That could affect memory stability. Do you run with 2 kits ove CMP16GX3M2X1866C9? As it never good to mixte memory kits, even if its the same model and version. Corsair give no support as for mixing memory kits.

If u are running with 4 memory modual you may have to increase Vram from 1.5 to 1.525 volts.But never over 1.6 volts.

WAth or you system spec?

It could help us find yours trouble.

Hope this help

Sincerly yours

Hey there! :biggrin: Thanks for your advice, however I already know the problem. It's a defective kit. I've tested it with Memtest86+ 4.20. It fails on tests #6 and #8. I also do not overclock, at least not this time. Everything was tested on stock. I even underclocked (yes, undreclocked) and the same problems show up with the one kit only.

I have three other kits of this memory and they all pass just fine. Only the one kit fails. I made sure to test all the kits on their own, not with other memory in the system. I really mostly just posted here to hopefully get somebody to assist me in creating an RMA tonight since I cannot set it up online because this part # does not show up in the list. Otherwise, I'll have to phone tomorrow morning sometime to get an Advanced Replacement set up.

your right your CMP16GX3M2X1866C9 is not listed for request an RMA. Only the CMP16GX3M4X1866C9 quad memory kit is listed!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, i don't worck for Corsair so you have to waite for Ramguy assistanceal to helpe you on the Support Forums

It's okay :biggrin: Thank you for your help anyway. I am not sure why the kit is not listed. I know that it is fairly new and only seems to be available in Europe, except for Newegg that actually is the only business that carries this kit in North America (Corsair also sells it direct). Anyway, I'm sure that it will all be sorted out tomorrow (I hope :[pouts:)

What the hell, I tried reaching support over the phone this morning and all I keep getting is "leave a message" and I cannot get anywhere. I just keeps looping saying "all agents are busy, stay on the line or press 1 to leave a message" and then right away it switches to "leave a message" and then it goes back to the beginning. This is retarded. I just need an advance replacement set up and I cannot do it anywhere, on the web or on the phone! :(:

dejanh, Sorry your having trouble getting through...please try again and please give them a little bit of a break. They are ALWAYS slammed this time of year because of the Christmas holidays.

Just stay on the line, someone WILL get to you! If you happen to be out of he US, make sure support is open. You can check by looking at the top of the forums... There is a header that lets you know if they are open or not. I suspect if you got the "leave a message" message, right away they may not have been open yet. I'm not saying this is the case..but just something to check!

Cheers

dejanh, Sorry your having trouble getting through...please try again and please give them a little bit of a break. They are ALWAYS slammed this time of year because of the Christmas holidays.

Just stay on the line, someone WILL get to you! If you happen to be out of he US, make sure support is open. You can check by looking at the top of the forums... There is a header that lets you know if they are open or not. I suspect if you got the "leave a message" message, right away they may not have been open yet. I'm not saying this is the case..but just something to check!

Cheers

Thanks again. You guys are great. :biggrin:

I just got through to support, advance replacement is set up and I should be getting the new kit in 5-6 days.

Cheers!

I'm glad it all got worked out for you! Have great day!

Just keep in mind that if you have the same issues with another kit that your problem is most likely somewhere else.

There are no known bad batches of memory... It doesn't quite work that way. Every kit is physically tested on a MB, so to have so many failing kits would be physically impossible. I'm betting the problem would actually be with the MB/BIOS and not the memory. Same with a entire kit... Since every module is tested.

But anyway , good luck!

I'm glad it all got worked out for you! Have great day!

Just keep in mind that if you have the same issues with another kit that your problem is most likely somewhere else.

There are no known bad batches of memory... It doesn't quite work that way. Every kit is physically tested on a MB, so to have so many failing kits would be physically impossible. I'm betting the problem would actually be with the MB/BIOS and not the memory. Same with a entire kit... Since every module is tested.

But anyway , good luck!

Well, I'm going to have to disagree with that. A series of ICs that made it into production could be prone to premature failure. Even if every single kit gets tested before it leaves the factory that does not mean that it is completely electrically sound. I'm going to go out on a limb here further and say that not even every kit is tested. I would not doubt that only random samples get tested, at least on the consumer side of things. This is very typical of what happens in the industry at large. Bad batches certainly happen, and the fact that I have the exact same kit basically (dual instead of quad) as another user, with the exact same symptoms, totally different setup, and on top of that they are from the exact same revision is too much coincidence, especially when you consider that I have three other kits of the same memory but version 5.29 that are all performing flawlessly. There is no system issue here, that's for sure. This is all the memory and there are too many coincidences lining up for this to be just a random stroke of bad luck.

Even if every single kit gets tested before it leaves the factory that does not mean that it is completely electrically sound. I'm going to go out on a limb here further and say that not even every kit is tested. I would not doubt that only random samples get tested, at least on the consumer side of things.

That may be true, but to have all four modules fail at the same time or end up DOA would be impossible. Corsair would also back this statement up! And your talking two examples out of how many thousands of modules? So to say it's a bad batch is a stretch.

I can tell you 100% for sure that every module does get tested. That"s how they end up in matched kit's. Modules that do not pass at certain speeds get re-screened at lower speeds to be put into different kits. So yeah, every module does get tested. But that doesn't mean that a certain chip for some reason doesn't play nice with certain MB's. Which i think is the case vs a bad batch.

At any rate good luck

I hope all goes well with the replacement.

Archived