Corsair Community

Should I switch my H100i fans to something low profile?

jspaceman

I installed my H100i, but it was a tight fit with the left fan rubbing up against the heat plate thingee on the top of the motherboard. The fans will spin, but I'd prefer to get a couple of fans with a lower profile (plus it would make it easier to tuck away the fan cables above the motherboard).

Is it safe to swap out the stock H100i fans for fans with a lower profile and perhaps a slower rpm? It won't heat my CPU up significantly will it?

Is it OK to use low profile PWM fans and have them plugged into the H100i's CPU block? Can I still get fan RPM readings?

2013-01-22%2022.48.52.jpg

Well, the fans are not going to hurt anything the way they are. Not to mention most aftermarket fans can not be controlled by aftermarket fans. They usually end up running at 100 percent when connected to the pump.

As far as slimmer fans affecting cooling, most like it will. Unless you can find some with specs that are close to ones supplied by Corsair. Same static pressure and CFM.

If you choose to go with different fans you would most likely have to connect them to a MB header to have any sort of control over them.

• Corsair Employees
Putting a slimmer fan will affect the cooler's performance, by how much? we don't know. You have keep in mind that these fans are specifically designed to be mounted on radiator, where there is restricted area. If you can find a slim fan (20mm) that has a good static pressure, then that is the fan that you need.

Archived