Corsair Community

AX1200 Modular Cables AWG Size

Flava0ne

I tried to look that up for you , but don't see any information on that. If it's not printed on the cables themselves(it usually is) then you could take them to a hardware store or home improvement center and they should be able to determine that for you by the wire size.

if your making custom cables then just go with the larger size to be on the safe side

if the psu uses 18 gauge then swapping to 22 gauge wont make any difference in terms of performance, if you used 18 and the standard are 22 though your running the risk of overheating the cables under max draw conditions

According to the guys over at PPCs, where I'm planning to get the supplies from, said that its 18AWG for most of the wires and 22AWG for the dual wires crimped to 1 pin on the 20+4 pin ATX cable. But I've ordered 18AWG hookup wire from them before and it seemed just a little thicker than the ones on the AX1200 modular cables when I compared them. I'm familiar with 26AWG wire because I used them to make extension cables for my fans before. That's why I probably thought that they might have been 22AWG. Could there be a posibility that they might be 20AWG?

if the psu uses 18 gauge then swapping to 22 gauge wont make any difference in terms of performance, if you used 18 and the standard are 22 though your running the risk of overheating the cables under max draw conditions

You got a little muddled there. As the gauge goes up the wire gets thinner.

• 2 weeks later...
You got a little muddled there. As the gauge goes up the wire gets thinner.

yes i was thinking of something else for some reason, although the thermal tolerances and conductive properties of a 24 awg cable are supposed to be high engough that they can be used in place of 18 awg although they will age harden faster and need replaceing in 2 years instead of 5, well so long as there not kapcom or rathon cables (there tollerances are different)

meh its always better not to custom the cables unlesss your planning on tuneing the psu to match them, of course if your going ot spend that kind of money you might as well just build your own from scratch anyway since it will work out cheaper, unless of course you know the original cable specs and are buying something to replace them with that falls within there tollerance levels.

and i'm refering ot impedance /length/thermal co-efficient/induction values and so on

for instance if you knew the original stuff was made from rayethon 55 then you could buy rayethon 55 as a replacement for your custom length without a care because it wount change the values but if you buy cheap off the shelf in the hardware store then it becomes quite critical unless your adding individual shielding ot each line to endsure theres no induction taking place...

maybe not so critical depending on what cables your replaceing (if its just something ot power the case fans and not routed within 4 inches of anything else) but if its say the atx cable then extreamly important because you could be introducing induction loops from the 12v line into say the 3v line causing your system instant death.....

not really a critical consideration with a desktop pc but it becomes more problematic if you cowboy it on other things like aviation or vehicle electrics, also if your creating an inductive loop within the pc you cna be propagating that out into other devices located near which can cause htem to prematurely fail as well

personally i wouldnt be spending upwards of $100 on something just ot mess with it, i'd rather spend a few $ extra and get what i needed in the first place

yes i was thinking of something else for some reason, although the thermal tolerances and conductive properties of a 24 awg cable are supposed to be high engough that they can be used in place of 18 awg although they will age harden faster and need replaceing in 2 years instead of 5, well so long as there not kapcom or rathon cables (there tollerances are different)

meh its always better not to custom the cables unlesss your planning on tuneing the psu to match them, of course if your going ot spend that kind of money you might as well just build your own from scratch anyway since it will work out cheaper, unless of course you know the original cable specs and are buying something to replace them with that falls within there tollerance levels.

and i'm refering ot impedance /length/thermal co-efficient/induction values and so on

But your using such short lengths of cable that is a moot point. If it were hundreds of feet then I would agree with you. As long as you are using at least the sma guage or better you'l be just fine for the life of the PSU.

Archived