Corsair Community

HX 650W Chirping

MonocleFox

Hi guys,

I recently submitted an RMA request for a PSU which emitted quite an audible whine during load on the graphics card. My original topic was posted here:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112461

Corsair sent me a new PSU (HX 650W) incredibly promptly which has been working brilliantly and does not emit any kind of noise under load - exactly what I was hoping. However, I have started hearing odd noises which on research others have also come across and it sounds exactly like these two videos have captured:

I genuinely thought it was a bird outside nesting at first!

This leaves me in a position where I am not entirely sure what to do. I could probably request another RMA for this one but that leaves me needing to pay postage a second time to return my PSU back to them. The first time didn't really bother me, and I am appreciative they sent me a replacement without any hassle initially. Great service, no complaints.

However, paying a second round of postage to ship from UK -> Netherlands is less appealing, and at this rate I might be better ditching and getting a new PSU all together. Any thoughts or advice? I know that the noise does not seem to exhibit and other issues or symptoms so I can probably put up with it. The noise is pretty random and sometimes does not happen for a few hours at a time. On the other hand it seems odd that it has this issue but the videos above suggest it isn't a one off or isolated incident. This leads me to believe that requesting another RMA might land me with a third PSU that has the same problem.

This leaves me in a position where I am not entirely sure what to do. I could probably request another RMA for this one but that leaves me needing to pay postage a second time to return my PSU back to them. The first time didn't really bother me, and I am appreciative they sent me a replacement without any hassle initially. Great service, no complaints.

Hi MonocleFox,

Yes, your best bet would be to have it RMA'd again. However i would contact them by phone with your previous RMA number and let them know whats up. Since this is a second RMA they will also pick up the shipping costs for you so you do not need to worry about it. And of course advanced replacements would be possible if you request one, but it would need to be arranged by phone.

The noise is pretty random and sometimes does not happen for a few hours at a time. On the other hand it seems odd that it has this issue but the videos above suggest it isn't a one off or isolated incident. This leads me to believe that requesting another RMA might land me with a third PSU that has the same problem.

Again, if you call them, there may be a possibility that they would let you swap it for a different model. I can guarantee this , but you won't now until you ask.

Archived