Corsair Community

TX (M) 850 fan!

MaDMaX1626863773

I just purchased this new last week, to confirm this is the

enthusiast series Corsair TXM 850W Modular PSU 80plus Bronze certified efficiency

purchased in the Uk, but for some reason corsair only list the non modular TX on their website for the United Kingdom

Manufacturers Code: CP-9020041-UK

anyway

i installed it today and it all works fine BUT the psu fan does not spin up, it looked like it was going to think about it!! when trying a few games but never did,

looking around the web it does appear it may have some fAntech where it will only spin when a freshold load/temp is reached,

unfortunately it seems you cant just email or call corsair direct every avenue leads me to an RMA!!!

my other probem is i fitted this to a DELL xps 8500 with windows 8

bdrw drive (not used yet as new)

8Gb ram 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3350P processor (6M Cache, up to 3.3 GHz)

MSI HD 7850 Twin Frozr III OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Samsug 830 256GB SSD

WD 1TB HDD

the original PSU was a dell 425w rated psu

i beleive my whole system doesnt use alot of power and the graphics card only has one PCIE 6 pin connection, so if this fan is using quiet technology, im prob never going to see it spin up, so how am i going to know if it actually works!!

i installed it today and it all works fine BUT the psu fan does not spin up, it looked like it was going to think about it!! when trying a few games but never did,

This is absolutely normal for the new Corsair PSU's. They are fan-less at low loads/temps and will be a combination of the two to be met before the fan will start. Even while gaming!

If you really want to test the fan operation, run Prime95 and furmark both at the same time to stress your system and heat the PSU up to get the fan going.

But depending on your system, you may never see the fan run .

This is absolutely normal for the new Corsair PSU's. They are fan-less at low loads/temps and will be a combination of the two to be met before the fan will start. Even while gaming!

If you really want to test the fan operation, run Prime95 and furmark both at the same time to stress your system and heat the PSU up to get the fan going.

But depending on your system, you may never see the fan run .

thanks for the reply, i did run prime and furmark yesterday for a good hour or so but it did not spin at all ! however it is not very warm in the UK at the moment so any real heat would soon dissapate i would also have thought under that kinda of stress had the fan/psu been faulty it woulld ahve failed! but it did not,

id feel stupid returning it to get another one that does exactly the same if thats how it works:o: plus it was a pita! to squeeze into my little xps 8500

thanks again,. will leave it in you never know one day it might spin up lol

TBH, neither the I5 CPU you have or the GPU are real power hungry , so i wouldn't expect to see it start at all. I wouldn't worry about unless you have stability issues later on.

unfortunately it seems you cant just email or call corsair direct every avenue leads me to an RMA!!!

Just in case you would need to , the phone numbers are listed on the main website page at the bottom under contact. There's a toll free number too . Just something to keep in mind.

Cheers!

TBH, neither the I5 CPU you have or the GPU are real power hungry , so i wouldn't expect to see it start at all. I wouldn't worry about unless you have stability issues later on.

Just in case you would need to , the phone numbers are listed on the main website page at the bottom under contact. There's a toll free number too . Just something to keep in mind.

Cheers!

funny isnt it for years cpu's were bottlenecks for gaming! but know my ikle i5 is so laid back and chilled it wont stress for anything lol.... i choose it as between this and the i7 there is literally no differences when it comes to gaming and i5's use less power,,,,

well i have a 5 year warranty so plenty of time for it to fail if it does!! thanks again

toll free numbers !!! dont think they work from the UK do they ;):

I notice you have 7850. My OCed system (in my specs) has never used it's PSU fan even when stress testing. The only time the fan has ever moved is during the test at power-up.

It's completely normal. If your GPU isn't overclocked then max it should use is 130W (TDP) - so you shouldn't worry about it, just enjoy the silence :D

I notice you have 7850. My OCed system (in my specs) has never used it's PSU fan even when stress testing. The only time the fan has ever moved is during the test at power-up.

It's completely normal. If your GPU isn't overclocked then max it should use is 130W (TDP) - so you shouldn't worry about it, just enjoy the silence :D

thanks for the reassurance:laughing: and love the silence but i will say mine does not move at all on power up ?

It's often just a little flick, easy to miss. With your hardware you're gonna struggle to get the fan to trip in at all. Does the top of the PSU get hot under load? I mean HOT not warm.

If you read the bumpf I believe it says the fan will kick in at 20% load? Doesn't with mine at all. i did manage to get it to run the fan by adding another 7950 and stressing everything.

These things are so efficient these days.

It's often just a little flick, easy to miss. With your hardware you're gonna struggle to get the fan to trip in at all. Does the top of the PSU get hot under load? I mean HOT not warm.

If you read the bumpf I believe it says the fan will kick in at 20% load? Doesn't with mine at all. i did manage to get it to run the fan by adding another 7950 and stressing everything.

These things are so efficient these days.

yeh i have seen it flick! it did it a couple of times under load when furmark and prime was on,it was like it went to spin but then couldnt be bothered!!

" another 7950"! i was planning on adding a single 7950/7970 eventually, and back of my mind thought that will kick it in! guess not lol,

The secong GFX was borrowed from (cough) a customer's PC. Just had to test it to put my own worries to rest lol

only have one pcie slot! so id prob have to get a 7990!! to test it, but im not in a position to remortgage:D: so will just leave it to decide itself lol

thanks for all the advice guys :laughing:

• Corsair Employees
toll free numbers !!! don't think they work from the UK do they

You can call the toll free number using Skype for free from anywhere you can get internet access. I use it every time I travel it works great the only issue I have seen is if you have poor internet connection you may have poor phone quality.

And the PSU fan will not come on till there is about 40% load on the PSU and or it reaches 49 Deg C internally. So if your system has good cooling IE internal Airflow and the PSU is at the top you may never see the fan running, Your system is not heavily loaded so as previously suggested I would not worry. Unless there is some reason. Does the fan spin up momentarily when you first turn the system on? If yes then dont worry it will be fine.

You can call the toll free number using Skype for free from anywhere you can get internet access. I use it every time I travel it works great the only issue I have seen is if you have poor internet connection you may have poor phone quality.

And the PSU fan will not come on till there is about 40% load on the PSU and or it reaches 49 Deg C internally. So if your system has good cooling IE internal Airflow and the PSU is at the top you may never see the fan running, Your system is not heavenly loaded so as previously suggested I would not worry. Unless there is some reason. Does the fan spin up momentarily when you first turn the system on? If yes then dont worry it will be fine.

Hey RAM GUY

thanks for the advice re skype ;)

no it has twitched once or twice when monitoring it from start up, and also under load, but its never actaully spun even briefly!

i have briefly played a few games and again it never spun, saying that i have not seen any of my games lock up or screens freeze either so im guessing its perfectly fine! temp wise its been pretty cool over here so hard to test out any temp issues especially when i have to have the cover off to see if it spins!!

NP please let me know how you make out.

I have Rma'd the PSU ! It's being picked up tomorrow :)

Once I submitted it stating the fault I had to call to get it authorised

Once I was thru to someone and they read my report it was not questioned and he accepted it and approved the return so here's waiting the replacement ;)

Will let you know once all is finished

They state something like 5-10 days turn around but try to process the Rma ASAP

Archived