Corsair Community

H60 Pump power connection

vicbstard

Looking though this board there seems to be some confusion as to which header the H60 should be attached to. Some folks are connecting it to the CPU_Fan header (even the folks at Guru3d do this in their review).

At first I plugged the pump in the CPU_Fan header, the result was the grinding noise that alot of folks seem to be experiencing; which I think is the sound of a pump going too slow.

Swapping the connection to a Case_fan header stopped the grinding noise allowing the pump to run at a constant rate. I think that this is the correct way to run them. Pumps are not fans and (from my experience with industrial pumps) are affected by other hydralic forces on start up and shut down; a constantly adjusting voltage would play hell with the pump's operating efficientcy.

Am I right?

Also... I've got a non-Corsair fan also attached to a Case_fan header, with a manual dial for testing the temps/fan rotation/noise. I'm thinking that I may instead attach the Corsair fan to the CPU_Fan header as a comparison. Do other H20 users attach the fan to the CPU_Fan header?

Cheers!

Yes the pump should run at a constantly RPM from a fan header (about 4000 if memory serves me...)

The original H60 came with a PWM fan that ran off the CPU fan header, as CPU warmed fan speed increased to improve the cooling...from what i've seen, that's also the case for the 2013 H60.

(it's also the way i like to do it...CPU temp controls the fans etc)

Looking though this board there seems to be some confusion as to which header the H60 should be attached to. Some folks are connecting it to the CPU_Fan header (even the folks at Guru3d do this in their review).

At first I plugged the pump in the CPU_Fan header, the result was the grinding noise that alot of folks seem to be experiencing; which I think is the sound of a pump going too slow.

Swapping the connection to a Case_fan header stopped the grinding noise allowing the pump to run at a constant rate. I think that this is the correct way to run them. Pumps are not fans and (from my experience with industrial pumps) are affected by other hydralic forces on start up and shut down; a constantly adjusting voltage would play hell with the pump's operating efficientcy.

Am I right?

Also... I've got a non-Corsair fan also attached to a Case_fan header, with a manual dial for testing the temps/fan rotation/noise. I'm thinking that I may instead attach the Corsair fan to the CPU_Fan header as a comparison. Do other H20 users attach the fan to the CPU_Fan header?

Cheers!

the pump is designed to be plugged into the cpu_fan in case the pump fails the m/b detects it and prevents start up

I see what you are saying about the pump failure detection, but If the pump is plugged in the CPU_Fan header the pump speed will be variable, which is not a good thing (in my opinion).

I've be interested in an answer from a corsair rep about this as I'm pretty sure that 90% of the "grinding" issues being reported are down to the mobo throttling the pump speed.

hi at first what do you have the new h60? , i have the new one i attached the pump to cpu_fan header, and seems no grinding issue to me. and the speed of mine is 4500-4600rpm though i think it just wrong reading and it doubles the rpm. but i have no issue and as @wytnyt said it is a protection for your cpu

hi at first what do you have the new h60? , i have the new one i attached the pump to cpu_fan header, and seems no grinding issue to me. and the speed of mine is 4500-4600rpm though i think it just wrong reading and it doubles the rpm. but i have no issue and as @wytnyt said it is a protection for your cpu

On the drive home I figured it out. Turn off the CPU fan speed control in the bios. This way I have the pump runnig at 100% and the CPU protection. Doh!

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction!

• 1 year later...
I cannot understand why the purchasers have to figure this power situation out. I have yet to get a definitive answer on the subject. Has anyone got a definite answer from Corsair. One person says yes to the CPU header the next says no.

As long as you provide consistent power to the pump, it technically does not matter where it comes from. You don't want the pump on header that changes the speeds according to heat or voltages.

The best reason to put the pump on the CPU FAN header is the safety factor mentioned above.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Yes, you can plug it directly into the power supply and it will only run when the system is powered on. I am starting to think this is the best method for Asus boards. The overlapping fan control programs seem to continually override each other. I am currently running my H110 pump off Chasis_Fan 3, and despite setting it too 100% constant RPM in the BIOS and AI Suite, every time this thing runs one of it's auto tuning programs it undoes my work, including the quick switch fan profiles (x99-Pro).

The theoretical danger of running the pump straight from the power supply is you won't be able to monitor it's speed. However, if the pump did fail you would get an unusual slow rise in temperature at the core and this is something that gets everyone's attention. Plenty of time to shut down and investigate. I suppose if you do long, high CPU loads on an unmonitored computer, there would be a benefit to running it off the CPU header and having the BIOS shut everything down. But that isn't really applicable to my situation. I am about ready to hook it up to the PS too.

Archived