Corsair Community

H70 backplate...

enbeekay

After using the H70 Core with it's backplate...i have to say the backplate is really poor.

i fitted it with no issues but decided to try a different orientation of the rad and pump to see if it would fit better...except when i came to remove the pump, one of the screws was spinning round in the plastic backplate and was a real pain to remove. Which also meant the backplate was unusable.

As backplate and mounting designs go...i have to say the coolit is much better where you screw the pump onto standoffs...that doesnt seem to cause issues (i have an H80 in another machine (and before that had an H60) so i know from experience).

So i've decided i'm going to try the backplate from the zalman cooler i replaced with the H70...

It's...a lot sturdier to say the least, the main difference i can see would be the H70 backplate applies pressure only on the screw/mounting holes where the zalman applies pressure spread across from the socket mounting plate to the screw/mounting holes...any thoughts? I can't see why it wouldnt work with the corsair pump (the top bracket of the H70 screws into the zalman backplate exactly as it did the H70 backplate) and...if it mounted the big zalman cooler i can't see why it wouldnt mount the corsair pump...

pics of what the backplate looks like below.

Thanks.

http://i.imgur.com/Xb7Gcor.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/ZxJxNXE.jpg

I guess all you can do is try it. But even though the stock back plate is plastic it still provides enough strength to mount the cooler securly.

You could always try adding a drop of super glue to the stock back plate to keep the screw from spinning in the plastic.

I quess all you can do is try it. But even though the stock backplate is plastic it still provides enough strength to mount the cooler securly.

You could always try adding a drop of super glue to the stock backplate to keep the screw from spinning in the plastic.

yeah...i tried the superglue...mounted the nuts in place, let it go off, made sure they were clean inside...and one screw still managed to get screwed inside and destroyed the backplate completely :(

so i'm trying to decide between using the heavyweight zalman backplate (which is tried and tested with my old cooler...or just buy an H60 which has much better tubing and, in my opinion a better mounting system...

(i bought the H70 Core because it was as cheap as the H60 which was out of stock at the time and they sold it with 2 PWM SP120's...kind of regret that decision now :|)

and to make the choice of either trying to use the H70 with zalman backplate or buy a new H60 harder...

I've been reading several reviews of the new H60 and seen that the tubing, while more flexible can be a pain and put pressure on the pump/cold plate where it is forced into an angle and doesnt sit right and also bends the standoffs...

which makes me decision difficult still...

anybody have any ideas of which to do?

Thanks...

OK i made my own mind up and got the H60...

I don't regret it at all :)

It's muych simpler to install and the rubber tubing is...really a godsend compared, in a small case it easily managed to squeeze in with some slight manipulation of the tubing...

I dont know if said manipulation (and there was a lot of it once the PSU had gone in) has done anything with the standoff bending issue i read about but what the hey, at the moment i'm not going to remove it and it's all working fine for me.

've been reading several reviews of the new H60 and seen that the tubing, while more flexible can be a pain and put pressure on the pump/cold plate where it is forced into an angle and doesnt sit right and also bends the standoffs...

Hmm, any chance you could post a link to that. I ask becuase that would be the first report of that here in the forums. Having owned a few of these coolers I can't see where that would even be possible. A custom loop comprised of much stiffer 5/8 tubing would have WAY more pressure on a socket, and you don't hear of problems with them. The Hseries uses ,I believe something like 10mm tubing. So I can't see that putting enough pressure to bend the stand-offs unless it was user error.

OK i made my own mind up and got the H60...

I don't regret it at all :)

It's muych simpler to install and the rubber tubing is...really a godsend compared, in a small case it easily managed to squeeze in with some slight manipulation of the tubing...

I dont know if said manipulation (and there was a lot of it once the PSU had gone in) has done anything with the standoff bending issue i read about but what the hey, at the moment i'm not going to remove it and it's all working fine for me.

Great to hear your happy with it. They really are nice little units !

Hmm, any chance you could post a link to that. I ask becuase that would be the first report of that here in the forums. Having owned a few of these coolers I can't see where that would even be possible. A custom loop comprised of much stiffer 5/8 tubing would have WAY more pressure on a socket, and you don't hear of problems with them. The Hseries uses ,I believe something like 10mm tubing. So I can't see that putting enough pressure to bend the stand-offs unless it was user error.

well, one review i remember off the top of my head was...

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/12/03/new_corsair_h60_h55_cpu_liquid_coolers_review/3

Also looking at and using an H60 2013 edition i think it's safe to assume the pressure they refer to is caused by the length of the tubing...when i compare it to my H80 the tubing is longer (with one tube longer than the other too)...

This combined with extra weight from the rubber may push the pump to one side and exert "pressure" if the tubing wants to go straighter rather than be curved round towards the CPU socket...

Not 100% sure on that, just what i gathered from installing it :)

Archived