Corsair Community

PLEASE RECALL Corsair HX650 - 650 Watt 80 PLUS Gold Modular PSU (CP-9020030)

Brudol

I would like to get some information on what is being done about the above mentioned PSU.

People worldwide are reporting weird sounds from the unit, caused by the fan. Youtube is full of videos about this problem, forums including this one are full of threads about this and even online shops like amazon and etc. are full of bad reviews. People who send their units back recieve new defective ones, the problems is still there. Not to mention that people have to pay for shipping to return the unit only to get the new one with the same problems back. Of cource the unit is operational, everything else works fine, but that does not mean people have to listen to ''bird calling sounds'' for the next 5-7 years.

Personally i ALMOST bought this unit, thank the Lord i do excessive research on everything i buy before i pull the trigger. 2 years ago i bought the HX750 for my brothers build, that thing is superb, barely makes any sound, stable, overall perfect ... just like any Corsair product should be and must be for the price you are paying. I recommended Corsair to everyone until now.

How come nothing is being done about this. Is probably an easy fix in the production process. All the units should be recalled in my opinion. I know thats very expensive to do just beacuse of some weird noises, but people are giving up on Corsair brand in general when they encounter that kind of problems not being properly fixed.

Bottom line - I just want to know what is being done about that.

I think your making a bigger issue out of this than what it really is. If you look there is only three threads on the first page of the forums and that is spread out over a week or so. The failure rate on these PSU's are actually quite low..less than .2 percent.

They sell literally thousands of these a month , and yes, your going to see some complaints (this is a support forum after all). I can guarantee you Corsair is continually working on the issues that DO pop up.

I know that every single unit cant be 100% but what's interesting to me is that customers who send their units back receive ''new'' ones with the same problem. I dont know the details exacly, maybe the units are just checked and returned (therefore not exchanged for brand new ones).

I know that every single unit cant be 100% but what's interesting to me is that customers who send their units back receive ''new'' ones with the same problem. I dont know the details exacly, maybe the units are just checked and returned (therefore not exchanged for brand new ones).

This is what I was getting at...there are so many variables that can cause those issues, including house wiring, battery back-up units, some MB, GPU's and so on. So yes, it is possible for users to get another unit that behaves the same way.

Since there are so many different PSU designs your going to have these issues.

I am in no way saying that is the case with all of them but a small percentage .

And in the event that would happen Corsair is great about second returns and in some cases letting users choose a different model comparable to what they have to try to avoid even further issues. And they also pay for shipping both ways! So what you see going on on the net in no way reflects what is actually taking place at Corsair.

Not only that, Corsair does not test and return unit RMA'd unit's. They will just send a new unit rather than take the chance of second RMA's. All though 2nd RMA's are actually pretty rare despite the amount of threads or posts you see else where. Can you say the same for the competitors?

For EX Newegg has plenty of reviews that are not the best, but how many thousands of them are moving through their warehouse alone? How many are sold worldwide?

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but I just don't think it was fair for you to rant over a product you didn't purchase in the first place.

I think your making a bigger issue out of this than what it really is. If you look there is only three threads on the first page of the forums and that is spread out over a week or so.

It's still the PSU with the highest number of threads about issues. Also note that some people posted about their problem inside an already existing thread, so there are more complaints than threads.

I think your making a bigger issue out of this than what it really is. If you look there is only three threads on the first page of the forums and that is spread out over a week or so. The failure rate on these PSU's are actually quite low..less than .2 percent.

You give, a figure, so: what's your source?

Unless you're working for Corsair, I'd really like to know how you got this number.

Let's not forget that not every dissatisfied customer will post here. Some will directly return the product to the shop, to get their money back (or exchange it with another product). Some will contact the service support of the shop (and will never post here). Some will RMA directly through Corsair, but will use the phone or the web interface only - no forum post. Only a very small minority of users will post on the forums.

They sell literally thousands of these a month , and yes, your going to see some complaints (this is a support forum after all). I can guarantee you Corsair is continually working on the issues that DO pop up.

So, in whose name are you writting?

If that's Corsair, then please state it and confirm it.

If that's only you, then how can you "guarantee" something you'd actually not know anything about (even if it were true and logical)?

This is what I was getting at...there are so many variables that can cause those issues, including house wiring, battery back-up units, some MB, GPU's and so on. So yes, it is possible for users to get another unit that behaves the same way.

Explain me how "house wiring, battery back-up units, MB or GPU" could be causing a mechanical noise, that is clearly related to the fan slowing down (and restarting before it's stopped, as far as I've investigated my own unit) - as can be seen on numerous videos, or on your unit if you have (a faulty) one...

I do wonder if you own, or have owned, or are linked to the design team of the HX650 v2. If that's not the case, how qualified are you to actually talk about his, like it'd be a very minor non-issue?

Since there are so many different PSU designs your going to have these issues.

I am in no way saying that is the case with all of them but a small percentage.

And in the event that would happen Corsair is great about second returns and in some cases letting users choose a different model comparable to what they have to try to avoid even further issues. And they also pay for shipping both ways! So what you see going on on the net in no way reflects what is actually taking place at Corsair.

So, do you actually work at Corsair, or not?

I could assume that what's read on the net is usually worse than the real situation - people how complain write more than people how are satisfied (and especially people who get just what they had expected). And even in that case, people who complain publicly are still a minority (many will return the product or RMA it without posting public comments).

But this is an assumption, and I would not feel entitled to make affirmations like yours, unless I were actually a Corsair employee (and with permission to communicate on the forum in their name).

Not only that, Corsair does not test and return unit RMA'd unit's. They will just send a new unit rather than take the chance of second RMA's. All though 2nd RMA's are actually pretty rare despite the amount of threads or posts you see else where.

For EX Newegg has plenty of reviews that are not the best, but how many thousands of them are moving through their warehouse alone? How many are sold worldwide?

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but I just don't think it was fair for you to rant over a product you didn't purchase in the first place.

In my case, this is a product that I own.

Now, is this also a product you own, have owned, or have worked on? If that's not the case, then I'd feel your comments are also disrespectful to people who are actually experiencing the issues, and have found no solution to it yet. If that's the case, fair.

Some stuff about the problem itself, as far as I've observed on my own unit (the one that I've RMAed - I haven't thoroughly analysed the one I received as replacement, which has chirped already... not so motivated to open the computer and check the same stuff all over again).

On my observations, of the unit I got, the noise occured in one specific case: the fan is ordered to spin down, and is ordered to spin up again before having come to a halt.

If the fan is allowed to spin down completely, without being ordered to restart before it's fully stopped, then it stayed silent. It also seems that simple variations of speed are silent, and that only a "cut power + restart" behaviour makes the noise (but I'd need to test the fan alone, which I cannot do without removing the cover).

As a consequence, and from what I understand, this would mean the problem I've got won't occur if the PSU is cold enough, so that the fan fully stops before being ordered to restart. I apparently won't occur either, if the PSU is hot enough so that the fan is never fully cut (partially obstructing the exhaust is a way to test this... but not recommended for sure!). So, even if all units were plagued the same way as mine, not everyone might be experiencing this (if in their case, the "low power" mode is cold enough, and the "high power" mode is hot enough - and beware if the house temparature is not so well regulated over the seasons...). And actually, I didn't experience the chirp that often (cold tower, in the winter days, I'd assume)... but it was there, and certainly very annoying.

Also, if you have a very noisy tower (e.g. your GPU cooler is as loud as a jet engine), or if you play action games with loud sound volume and lots of music, you might simply not notice the chirping noise that's made by the faulty PSU.

If your tower is rather silent, if you watch quiet movie scenes or play more atmospheric games (like turn-based strategy), if your house and PC are not cold enough that the fans can be allowed a full stop before restarting... you'll be more likely to experience the chirp.

My own interpretation is that these fans (or some of them) become noisy if ordered to stop (power line is cut, fan is slowing down) and ordered to restart before it's stopped (power is back, fan re-accelerates). A not so well balanced electric motor might be the culprit (reapplying current might disturb the rotation)... whether it's bad luck, a poor batch of fans, or an unadapted choice of the component itself, I cannot know.

That's all I can observe from my unit. I can't generalize that. Your mileage may vary. But if other owners could post their observations, that'd be useful.

Last but not least, errors are human. Even if it were a design error, I wouldn't blame Corsair for that - it can happen. What makes the difference is how well the errors are handled. ;)

• Administrators
It's still the PSU with the highest number of threads about issues.
Not from my perspective. Do you have proof of your claim?

Also note that some people posted about their problem inside an already existing thread, so there are more complaints than threads.
This is true for every product.

No one on the forum knows accurate RMA / sales numbers or what's happening inside Corsair. They can however speak on previously observed actions and statements.

Also, peanutz94 doesn't work for Corsair, but he is a very knowledgeable forum member.

Not from my perspective. Do you have proof of your claim?

Peanutz94 mentioned "only three threads on the first page of the forums", and that's exactly the sentence I was quoting.

On the first page, I can count four threads, related to noise issues with the HX650 (not counting this one, which is a question about these issues, and not a complaint - note that Odinn's thread ends with a statement he got a noisy PSU).

No other Corsair PSU has that many complaints threads on the first page of this forum (I don't count questions about which PSU to choose, or when cables will be realeased, as a complaints thread) - this is thus a verifiable fact, IMHO. The HX650 doesn't "win" by much, but still wins.

Of course, if we count all complaints threads since this forum starts, the HX650 GOLD probably won't be highest, as it's a relatively new product. And it's perhaps not the one which started with the highest number of threads either... but Peanutz94 was referring to the first page and that was what I quoted.

By the way, reading Amazon's comments, the HX650 GOLD got a rather low number of stars ( http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-Series-Modular-HX650/product-reviews/B0090I9VX0/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_2 ), contrasting with Corsair's usually great rating. This for sure isn't proof, but trying to rank the Corsair PSUs according to ratings did show the HX650 GOLD as the lowest rated one (for products with more than 5 ratings). Though it's true that Amazon sometimes groups reviews under the wrong product item and doesn't always handle new versions well.

This is true for every product.

I wrote that because from reading Peanutz94's sentence, it could be implied that there were only three complaints on the page.

No one on the forum knows accurate RMA / sales numbers or what's happening inside Corsair. They can however speak on previously observed actions and statements.

In which case, on what ground did Peanutz94 write "The failure rate on these PSU's are actually quite low..less than .2 percent" ?

It seeems rather difficult to assess the real RMA, replacement, etc... figures on a component from observed actions and statements on the forum. I don't know where such a 0.2% rate would come from, and being a reader it does deserve an explanation or source. Writing it as if it were a clear fact would be very bold, if this was actually only based on assumptions.

Also, statistically speaking, the chance of getting a second noisy unit would be very low, if failure rate is 0.2%. Yet, on these forums, more than one person have received two noisy units in a row...

Also, peanutz94 doesn't work for Corsair, but he is a very knowledgeable forum member.

Knowledgeable in general, does not necessarily mean knowledgeable in a very specific topic and product.

When I read of "house wiring, battery back-up units, some MB, GPU's and so on" as an explanation, whereas the HX650 noise pretty much looks like a mechanical fan noise (as seen from videos, and also as observed on my unit), strong doubt is arising about specific knowledge of this HX650 issue... (I really don't see how these could explain a mechanical noise caused by the fan). We're not talking of electronics noise here...

As for my description, I'm only trying to explain what I've observed, and gather other feedbacks. Being no designer of your PSU, for sure I may be completely mistaking in this attempt at understanding what's the issue...

First of all i didnt made this thread to rant over HX650 or to start an argument - that was NOT my intent. I just wanted to point out something that other customers are experiencing. Dont be mistaken, customer feedback is very important. Maybe my first post reads like a rant but only beacuse i wanted to make a statement with an impact so i would get an official reply from Corsair. I understand that many factors can result in a mentioned problem and i also undestand that Corsair is doing their best to resolve every issue that presents itself. The point is that i would like to buy this product, but i'm having second thoughts about that.

@NMD

No, I do not work for Corsair, but have the complete backing of RamGuy and the Corsair support staff as one of the forum helpers. I didn't achieve that from one or two posts!

I also have 10+ years as an enthusiast both working on and building systems.

It's still the PSU with the highest number of threads about issues. Also note that some people posted about their problem inside an already existing thread, so there are more complaints than threads.

Peanutz94 mentioned "only three threads on the first page of the forums", and that's exactly the sentence I was quoting.

Yes, and if you look, you'll find far more threads and complaints on some of the other PSU's too. The HX650 is actually on of the PSu with the least amount of threads/complaints.

I wrote that because from reading Peanutz94's sentence, it could be implied that there were only three complaints on the page.

Over the couse of how long? A week! Again very low numbers for the forums. Having bee here for a couple of years believe me when there is an issue with a specific product there are days you can't answer threads fast enough. Thats just not the case withthe HX650.

And i actually believe in this day and age most people turn to a forum before calling. Corsair's basic target user group is enthusiasts, all be it the amount of first time builders is on the rise , and there has been a noticeable shift in that group . And that would be well represented buy the Hseries coolers... for instance. Entry level water cooling that is easy for the first time builder, yet still robust enough for some of the more extreme users. Most of them are going to look for answers on their own and not call CS every time something isn't exactly correct.

As far as other complaints/user reviews on other sites...Well they found that site to complain, why couldn't they find this one.?

In which case, on what ground did Peanutz94 write "The failure rate on these PSU's are actually quite low..less than .2 percent" ?

It seeems rather difficult to assess the real RMA, replacement, etc... figures on a component from observed actions and statements on the forum. I don't know where such a 0.2% rate would come from, and being a reader it does deserve an explanation or source. Writing it as if it were a clear fact would be very bold, if this was actually only based on assumptions.

Thats fair. But that was posted here on the forums somewhere. If you give me some time, i could probably dig it up for you. It would have been a response from RamGuy, but I don't forget very much information I see on these forums. I'm the last person who wants to be the one to give wrong information.

Explain me how "house wiring, battery back-up units, MB or GPU" could be causing a mechanical noise, that is clearly related to the fan slowing down (and restarting before it's stopped, as far as I've investigated my own unit) - as can be seen on numerous videos, or on your unit if you have (a faulty) one...

Thats no big secret either...Old wiring ,improper grounding, back-up units that are not a pure sign wave units can cause anomalies, and it's no secret either that GPU's can cause PSU's to do weird things either. Coil whine among the top of them...no different than some PSU's causing GPU's to make noise..

Not every PSU is made with the same components. Some of those components can be highly sensitive to those conditions. It would also explain why some people have good luck with x brand and awful results from Y brand in the same system.

I'm in no way saying that IS the case with all of them but sure for some.

So, in whose name are you writting?

If that's Corsair, then please state it and confirm it.

If that's only you, then how can you "guarantee" something you'd actually not know anything about (even if it were true and logical)?

1) I have been told that is true for all of corsair products first hand by a corsair employee.That and I'm sure if you look hard enough in the forums you'll find that information somewhere too. I know it's been posted before.

2) C'mon , they sell these PSU's worldwide. Do you REALLY think they are squeaking by on a couple of hundred units a month? That wouldn't justify the engineering costs alone!Let a lone tooling ,advertizing ,production costs and so on.

Now, is this also a product you own, have owned, or have worked on?

As a matter of fact , yes I have owned one, and my son's class upgraded their workstations at school this year. 27 unit's and not one exhibited any issues at all. I went in on a Saturday to help them install them so i was there to watch each and every one of them up and running. I would be glad to ask him if they have had any failures in the six months they have been in.

I'm not going to answer to this thread anymore,just because i see it being more argumentative if anything and isn't helping anyone. I gave you the answers you asked for whether they satisfy your or not that's your prerogative.

If you have a specific issue I would be more than happy to help, but I'm not going to debate this subject any further.

• Administrators
Thats fair. But that was posted here on the forums somewhere. If you give me some time, i could probably dig it up for you. It would have been a response from RamGuy, but I don't forget very much information I see on these forums. I'm the last person who wants to be the one to give wrong information.
If you find it, please post it. Linking back to Ram Guy always helps.

[...]

Yes, and if you look, you'll find far more threads and complaints on some of the other PSU's too. The HX650 is actually on of the PSu with the least amount of threads/complaints.

Not on this first page. The HX650v2, on that single page, is the PSU with highest number of threads for complaints - I did count them... (note: GS700 just overtook the HX650 today, with a new thread and a new message to another which pulled it back to page 1).

You mentioned Newegg on a previous post. Let's not forget their feedback includes the older version of the HX650, which seems not to have had this problem. Filtering the comments to get recent ones still shows quite a lot of people mentioning a chirping noise. Sure, it might not be a huge percentage of buyers, but not everyone dissatisfied is posting a feedback.

Also, someone wrote "the fan makes a squeaky noise sometimes, but its not more that I can take". Some people are less disturbed by these noises than others, after all some people don't mind when their neighbours make a lot of noise with plastic candy bags at the movie theater...

And, for sure, if I take my closed headphones and pump the volume up while gaming, that would cover any chirping noise.

Over the couse of how long? A week! Again very low numbers for the forums. Having bee here for a couple of years believe me when there is an issue with a specific product there are days you can't answer threads fast enough. Thats just not the case withthe HX650.

And i actually believe in this day and age most people turn to a forum before calling. Corsair's basic target user group is enthusiasts, all be it the amount of first time builders is on the rise , and there has been a noticeable shift in that group . And that would be well represented buy the Hseries coolers... for instance. Entry level water cooling that is easy for the first time builder, yet still robust enough for some of the more extreme users. Most of them are going to look for answers on their own and not call CS every time something isn't exactly correct.

Actually, if I read Newegg's or Amazon's comments, search the Youtube videos, and read the posts here, I wouldn't need much time to come to the conclusion: if there's a chirping fan in my unit, I should send it back to the shop, or directly RMA Corsair for a replacement. No real need to post there...

I actually only did it because of the shipping costs issue (and did RMA instead of sending it back to the shop because, then, the shop would have charged me for the shipping).

As far as other complaints/user reviews on other sites...Well they found that site to complain, why couldn't they find this one.?

Why would they need to find it? It's enough for most people post a single feedback (and it's perhaps just easier to post on the webshop they bought it from). Had the shop I bought it from offerred me full cashback and paid for return shipping costs, I would probably not even have posted ANY comment at all...

OK, that's fair too. But we should not mix reviews for the HX650v1 (80+ BRONZE) and the new HX650v2 (80+ GOLD), which is not the same model. No one complained of fan chirping noises with the HX650v1...

There are very few sources for return rates, but one website ( Hardware.fr / behardware.com ) is posting the return rates they get from a partner shop. Of course, these rates won't include direct RMAs to the manufacturers, so they're still incomplete. Their last issue takes the products bought between 10/2011 and 4/2012, with returns before October 2012 (so the HX650v2 would not be included, it wasn't really available yet as far as I'd understand).

http://www.behardware.com/articles/881-3/components-returns-rates-3.html

Corsair scored 2% there. 0.2% returns+RMA rate would be an excellent figure for sure. But is this including HX650v1 as well?

Also not sure if returned goods could be refurbished by the shop, and sold again without an actual Corsair RMA - in which case, it'd be really very hard to get a definitive answer.

Thats no big secret either...Old wiring ,improper grounding, back-up units that are not a pure sign wave units can cause anomalies, and it's no secret either that GPU's can cause PSU's to do weird things either. Coil whine among the top of them...no different than some PSU's causing GPU's to make noise..

Coil whine is in a different category of fault than a fan making a chirping noise when slowing down and restarting.

Coild whine is mostly an electrical-related noise (well, mechanical vibrations caused by AC current, but you get the idea). A chirping fan, as can be noticed on the HX650 videos, is mechanics-related. Such a fan is DC-powered... a poor quality of DC regulation may perhaps have nasty noisy effects, but I'd assume the PSU fan is taking its power directly from the PSU itself... and a great PSU regulates well (even when the wall supply is pretty bad), so I wouldn't think it's the cause.

The best was to test would be to remove the accused fan from the PSU, then apply/cut DC power using a battery (which should have even electrical charecteristics). That'd void the warranty, however, so I'm not keen on testing that...

Not every PSU is made with the same components. Some of those components can be highly sensitive to those conditions. It would also explain why some people have good luck with x brand and awful results from Y brand in the same system.

I'm in no way saying that IS the case with all of them but sure for some.

I do agree on that. But, still, you'd expect a quality product to behave well in any system - that's a natural expectation from buyers.

In this case, I'd think the conditions are simply related to whether the fan restarts before it has fully stopped, or not. If the PC is cold enough/takes low enough power that the fan never starts, it'll be fine. If it starts, then can come to a full stop, not problem either. If it's too hot/takes too much power so that it is never ordered to stop, no problem either. So not everyone will experience it... (and, by the way, it's colder these days in my house - and so, I haven't hear the chirping today yet [i did hear it yesterday, so I know the bird is there - but shy]).

Could also be linked with some issues with the fans, on some of these fans, of course.

1) I have been told that is true for all of corsair products first hand by a corsair employee.That and I'm sure if you look hard enough in the forums you'll find that information somewhere too. I know it's been posted before.

I actually DO believe Corsair is doing their best to solve the issues they consider as real. But I cannot guarantee that without being myself an insider (a real one, not just "they told me that"). I can only believe it. And that's still a big difference.

And I do believe it because Corsair has a very good reputation.

Let's not forget that companies with poor customer service, and a bad reputation, would also always tell you that they're really doing their best to fix all the issues. Except, in their case, that's just the PR guy talking. ;)

2) C'mon, they sell these PSU's worldwide. Do you REALLY think they are squeaking by on a couple of hundred units a month? That wouldn't justify the engineering costs alone! Let a lone tooling ,advertizing ,production costs and so on.

Well, I never asked for a factory recall of all units (that's Brudol's post, not mine).

And I do not know what the actual cause of this issue is: a very few fans that weren't up to the initial specs? a production batch of these fans? the fan model itself?

Fixing the units that are returned is enough, IMHO. More efficient than a recall, and just as effective.

Still, proper understanding of the issue is important. If it's more than a few fans being out of spec, sending a replacement unit might not be the best solution (if the whole batch is affected...). Shipping an unit that is confirmed to be from another, fully healthy batch, would be. Or directly fixing the actual unit that was sent back, instead of sending a replacement unit - takes more time, but I may actually prefer this in some cases.

Thing is, a few people here got the chirping noise with their replacement unit as well. That's why I'm asking.

Last remark, this is a relatively recent product, and I fully understand that it may take some time to properly identify the root cause.

As a matter of fact , yes I have owned one, and my son's class upgraded their workstations at school this year. 27 unit's and not one exhibited any issues at all. I went in on a Saturday to help them install them so i was there to watch each and every one of them up and running. I would be glad to ask him if they have had any failures in the six months they have been in.

6 months? Considering that Corsair announced the HX650v2 (GOLD) in June last year ( http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/hx-gold ), it's quite possible you got the former model (the one with BRONZE certification). Not sure, but that'd be my guess...

The former version and the current one are two different models (for once, the fan isn't behaving the same way). No fanless mode for the former version as far as I understand the announcement... and the V1 never got mentioned for singing like a bird in some situations.

I'm not going to answer to this thread anymore,just because i see it being more argumentative if anything and isn't helping anyone. I gave you the answers you asked for whether they satisfy your or not that's your prerogative.

If you have a specific issue I would be more than happy to help, but I'm not going to debate this subject any further.

Fair enough.

I did answer you because I felt some of these points did need a clarification. I do entirely believe the HX650v1 is a great PSU, and for good reason. I still feel you're posting from your HX650v1 experience, whereas the HX650v2 may have been a different bird... I believe the issues will be corrected, but obviously something still exists today and is real as of now... so dismissing them with some contempt would not be the best attitude.

nmd,

I may owe you an apology! I have gone back through as many HX650 threads as I can , along with my own personal notes. Yes, i keep notes for the forums. I actually may have had a typo in the original post. There should not sure there should be a period in front of the 2. It may be 2% and the only reason i caught it was the red high lighted text in your reply that I saw the percent sign in your figures.

In my own personal notes i actually have a figure of as low .01 which i will admit I don't think is possible either... only later on to be contradicted by a quote that said "The industry accepted rate of failures was about 5% and that Corsairs products were well below that". But that quote DID NOT reference the HX650 specifically. But also have another note that it's around 2%

Either way, whether it's .2% or as much as 2% it's still quite low.

Like i said this is from my own personal notes and I understand that one might think there is a great margin there for someone to take advantage of that and make any claim they want . However, anyone on these forums that knows me, knows I try to be as accurate,honest, and helpful as possible. I am the last person to want to give information that is not correct. Without the source threads there isn't much I can do. Who in the world would have thought this thread would come up? I can guarantee you that i will start copying source threads from now on.

At this point all I can do is let Ramguy clear this up. And if I am wrong about it, i truly apologize.

Originally posted by Technobeard:but not directed at...

This is all I was doing. And as far as the link you(NMD) provided,even they admit that the information is all relative and gathered from a foreign source,.

As technobeard noted only Corsair would know the exact numbers. But i don't believe those are correct reflections of worldwide sales.

The first question is of course where the stats come from. They’re taken from a large French etailer, whose database we have had direct access to. We were therefore able to extract the stats we wanted directly from source.

EDIT:I wanted to update this...So so there are some figures to back up what I have been saying all along. How much of the 100,000+ PSU are sold, although it doesn't breakdown to what percent the HXseries PSU's make upp that 100,000 units I don't know. Bu t they do sell as many as previously stated...and then some!

http://www.anandtech.com/tag/corsair(please scroll down the page to the full article)

With sales of more than 100,000 PSUs each month, Corsair is one of the most important vendors for retail power supplies.

You mentioned Newegg on a previous post. Let's not forget their feedback includes the older version of the HX650, which seems not to have had this problem. Filtering the comments to get recent ones still shows quite a lot of people mentioning a chirping noise. Sure, it might not be a huge percentage of buyers, but not everyone dissatisfied is posting a feedback.

You also have to remember that newegg also lets people post reviews for products they do not own either. I have seen numerous people post about all sorts of products that they claim were "garbage" even though they did not own or buy that particular product. Not to mention the data miners, bots and so on that continually hit websites that add to "hit counts" or number of views.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanutz94 View Post

6 months? Considering that Corsair announced the HX650v2 (GOLD) in June last year ( http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/hx-gold ), it's quite possible you got the former model (the one with BRONZE certification). Not sure, but that'd be my guess...

Geez! Gimme a break! I didn't realized you were going to put every one of my comments under a microscope! Yes, there were all V2 models installed the first week of August just before school started. Every machine got a new PSU, and new HHD's anticipating the switch to Windows8 . If you want to PM me i could provide you with a school name and even the instructor. But thats not information I'm going to post publicly. But yes, it's pretty close to 6 months just not quite exact. As i said before, i would be more than happy to find out the status of those units for you.

I believe the issues will be corrected, but obviously something still exists today and is real as of now... so dismissing them with some contempt would not be the best attitude.
I'm not dismissing them. I just don't think there is THAT big of an issue to where needs to be a recall. Do some unit's have issues? sure! What the cure is all anyone can do is speculate.

You're getting very pent up on this ...

It's a powersupply ... if you're that bothered, return it and get something else ... put your money where your mouth is rather than venting on a pretty dead forum where the only people who read it are people who already have problems with Corsair products.

Having a rant on here won't make any difference other than an RMA from Corsair less amicable

Archived