JT0089

I just finished a new build, here is a summary of parts:

i7-3930k @ 4.8 Ghz 1.410v

16GB (4x4GB) of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600

AMD 6970

Corsair h100i

1 HDD, 1 SSD, and 1 blu-ray drive

Corsair TX650M.

I have noticed whining noise coming from my PSU (which I think can happen to any PSU).

I wonder if 650w is enough to power this PC. I have read that my overclocked 3930k can pull nearly 500w on its own. Plus the 250w that the 6970 can use.

Quite frankly I am amazed my machine is running if the numbers I have researched are true.

I have not had any stability problems so far... but for the amount of money I have in this computer I would not want the power supply to take out any components if it fails from being overloaded.

So if you guys agree that I should upgrade I was looking at the AX850 or HX850.

One more thing, I was hoping I could use the Corsair sleeved cables I just bought which are HX/TX compatible.

Does anyone know if these cables should work with an AX*** PSU.

Thanks

That PSU is more than enough to power that build.

I have read that my overclocked 3930k can pull nearly 500w on its own.

I'm not sure where you read that but thats not true. No where close as a matter of fact. You can download software to see how much your system actually uses under load. But it's no where near that. I doubt your whole system would pull that much while at 100%load.

If the PSu was underpowered , you would be having stability issues for sure. Upgrade if you want, but it's not needed.

One more thing, I was hoping I could use the Corsair sleeved cables I just bought which are HX/TX compatible.

Does anyone know if these cables should work with an AX*** PSU.

No, they are completely different cables.

Archived