Corsair Community

Neo2 Plat, A64 3500+, XMS 3200C2PT Issue?

seacoastguy

Greetings. I'm new to this board but based on the expertise looks like the right place!

I'm having quite a bit of difficulty (suddenly) wth a new rig (only a few days old) based on the MSI Neo2 Plat board for A64 / 939 and I'm wondering if it's my memory. When first built, I had no problems with boot sequence and XP Pro launch, applications, speed tests, etc.

I searched threads looking for ideas on how to increase speeds, tweak for best performance and that's when the trouble started. At the present time I can get the machine on, get into BIOS (currently using default settings for everything), get past BIOS into O/S startup (XP logo display)...then nothing.

Machine keeps going (fans, etc.) but no O/S and soon thereafter LCD shuts down for lack of signal and I have to just shut the machine off.

Any suggestions? If it really is a memory issue I have, would I have gotten that far (i.e, should I look into video issue)?

ANy help is appreciated. System info below.

Chris

Athlon 64 3500 (stock HS for now)

MSI K8N NEO 2 PLATINUM (presently BIOS 1.0 as shipped)

2 GB Corsair XMS 3200C2PT (4 X 512) default mobo timings (i.e., "auto")

Zalman ZM400B-APS 400W

MSI RX9800PRO 128 (running at XT clocks)

2 x SAMSUNG SP1614C HD (JBOD)

Audigy 2 ZS

Asus DVD-E616P1 16X DVD

Plextor PX-712A DVD+/-RW

Sony Floppy

• Corsair Employees
I would try and clear the bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and see if the system will pass www.memtest.org! If you still have problems, I would test the modules one at a time and let's make sure one is not failing!

>> ....and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8

Given who you are and your reputation on the boards I'll certainly set to 2.8v and see what happens, but I was under the impression that such a high voltage was flirting with potential for damage. I take it that's not true, or is the 2.8v setting simply trying to bracket the problem? Can 2.8v be used as a permanet power setting for this particular RAM?

Also (and hoping you see this again) shoudl I just plan on sticking with bios default timings or, as I have seen in your sticky on module timing settings, shoudl I manually adjust to those specifics after runnig the tests, and assuming I can get my system back? Not knowing enough about how the bios and memory control function works, I don't know whether those settings are automatically picked up.

I will also test with memtest...thanks again.

• Corsair Employees
All of our modules are guaranteed up to 2.9 Volts, if they fail we will replace them! And no that is not the case, you are over clocking when running the memory at Cass 2 or anything faster the Cass 3! And it would be advisable to increase the Dim Voltage and perhaps some of the other voltages when over clocking. I would also suggest you get the latest bios and update it as well! And load setup defaults and then set the bios settings and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to make sure one is not failing!

Greetings. I'm new to this board but based on the expertise looks like the right place!

I'm having quite a bit of difficulty (suddenly) wth a new rig (only a few days old) based on the MSI Neo2 Plat board for A64 / 939 and I'm wondering if it's my memory. When first built, I had no problems with boot sequence and XP Pro launch, applications, speed tests, etc.

I searched threads looking for ideas on how to increase speeds, tweak for best performance and that's when the trouble started. At the present time I can get the machine on, get into BIOS (currently using default settings for everything), get past BIOS into O/S startup (XP logo display)...then nothing.

Machine keeps going (fans, etc.) but no O/S and soon thereafter LCD shuts down for lack of signal and I have to just shut the machine off.

Any suggestions? If it really is a memory issue I have, would I have gotten that far (i.e, should I look into video issue)?

ANy help is appreciated. System info below.

Chris

Athlon 64 3500 (stock HS for now)

MSI K8N NEO 2 PLATINUM (presently BIOS 1.0 as shipped)

2 GB Corsair XMS 3200C2PT (4 X 512) default mobo timings (i.e., "auto")

Zalman ZM400B-APS 400W

MSI RX9800PRO 128 (running at XT clocks)

2 x SAMSUNG SP1614C HD (JBOD)

Audigy 2 ZS

Asus DVD-E616P1 16X DVD

Plextor PX-712A DVD+/-RW

Sony Floppy

Seacoastguy.........

Please allow me to express my opinion about this board.........this board is VERY flaky when attempting to "tweak". I have one and I'm currently awaiting an RMA on it as well as half the people at FutureMark where I "live"...LOL....I'm getting another one, so you will know that my comments are not "fanboy" related, even though my ASUS is the DADDY.....hehe.

Alot of them run fine at default or a minor overclock up to ~210 1:1 , but after this threshold, things fall to crap....

I would be happy to go over bios settings with you on the K8N Neo2, as I've been through that bios backwards and forwards and seem to have a grasp on what works and what doesn't.......................granted that you are not experiencing the potential for something else being faulty.......eg..Powersupply

One other thing I can think of........when you were doing your "tweaking" a few things come to mind:

1. If you are using SATA drives then supposively SATA channels 3+4 are the ones protected by the AGP/PCI locks, so if you had your HDD on channels 1+2 you may have corrupted your OS...

2. Setting the AGP lock at 68mhz when overclocking is also the trick to ensuring the lock functions correctly........anything lower, especially default of 66, and well, you guessed it.....OS knackered!........

Try using Clockgen and you will see these phenomena for yourself....

Good Luck.

Hi, I'm new to the forums and I'm not as experienced with tweaking as a lot of you guys so please bear with me.

I have a similar setup to the topic creator. Same CPU/Board/and ram Modules. Our setups differ with regard to Bios (mine is s 1.1) and I only have 512MB X 2 in dual channel. My settings are 1T, 2.5 Tcl, 3 Trcd, Auto, and Trp 6. I was having major problems when I allowed the board to choose the memory settings. On the manual settings listed above, it's more stable. However, it still occasionally hangs on resest when detecting IDE/SATA and I can't manage to get through a burn-in. Also, I'm having infrequent crashes of some 3-D games.

My goal is to have a stable system that's not overclocked. Can anyone help me adjust the settings so that it's stable and not "underclocked"? Thanks.

Archived