Corsair Community

annoyed with M90 , firmware update failure plus RMA, request from vendor

something

Hello,

I have a m90 , or better 'had' a M90. ( for a few months but it has been a paper wight on my desk, didn't get to the vendor ) Well it worked for a few hours at least.

it worked until I installed the corsair software which instructed me to update to the lastest FW. It was apperently successfull , but after the next reboot it just didn't work anymore.

@ that time I did a firmware fix thing save attempt but it didn't work.

Anyway today I went back to the shop. To replace it. They tested the mouse and it worked they said. luckily I brought my laptop with me.

and tada it didn't work.

I have a m17x R4 which has USB 3.0 ports,

But apperently Corsair thinks that USB3 shouldn't be used for a mice ? http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109866

(note; I was not really aware about the usb 3.0 issue thingy)

while browsing the forum today, to search for issues with M17x.

I found out that my esata combo , could be usb2.0. (never checked if the mice worked in that port )

So you know the story , vendor says it works , I say it does not. etc.... anyway I asked to RMA it , but vendor told me that he will doubt that it will be replaced.

So I will probably still have a paper weight and I hope I don't get charged for shipping/administration afterwards because ' it was not broken'

The only thing I know that it worked on usb 3.0 ports, until the firmware update.

:mad:

• Corsair Employees

The reason why the USB 3.0 doesn't work most of the time is because most USB 3.0 ports are from third party controllers. Peripherals don't work well with them, especially if you're updating the firmware through it. Third party controllers are never as good as native because they are erratic, inconsistent, and sometimes have very immature drivers. As you saw yourself, when it was used on a different machine, the mouse didn't have an issue. This shows that it isn't the mouse but your drivers and USB port causing the issue.

Have you ensured you're on the latest BIOS and using the latest USB drivers straight from the manufacturer of the controller?

(Currently) I'm using the last available bios for my laptop , and the USB drivers they provided via there site.

it is indicated as 'Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver' on their site, so Intel would be rather thrust-worthy I hope, I used the dell provided drivers.

I have to make note that the M90 worked before it was flashed and the usb drivers where not changed before and after the flash ( a few months back )

So I have a hard time to accepting your explanation. Since the only thing that happened @ that time was an update of the mouse FW.

• Corsair Employees

What is the make and model for your machine?

And if it works on a different machine but not yours, then the issue isn't with the mouse since it does work. Do you have any other machine to confirm this on?

What is the make and model for your machine?

And if it works on a different machine but not yours, then the issue isn't with the mouse since it does work. Do you have any other machine to confirm this on?

Its a Alienware M17x R4.

What more do you want to know of make and model ? ( full specs ?)

and no other computer , and for the moment I don't have the mouse anymore.

The vendor said it worked , I didn't see it happening.

• Corsair Employees
We have a M17x but didn't have any issues with it. We have no problem replacing the mouse for you but to save you the downtime, you may want to see if anyone else can get it to work with the software to confirm whether it really has an issue.

Archived