Corsair Community

Adding additional modules: computer doesn't start

Morkrah

Hello,

I recently decided to upgrade my low RAM system from 2x2GB CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 with an additional two modules, with the same part number. Upon installing these in the two free blue memory slots the computer wouldn't post. I then tried them in the ports where I had my original two working modules, still the same result.

I left the new modules here and reset CMOS using the jumper (Asus M4A785TD-M EVO) at which point the computer does start. When I try adding my old modules to the free slots the same thing happens again and I'm stuck with my original problem.

BIOS is set to DDR1333 with default timings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What do you mean it's not supported? By who? Why is there four slots if four modules can't be used at the same time? The motherboard is specified at 4 GB per slot for a total of 16 GB. Also, your own links both state: "A user that already has a pair of modules and adds a second pair should take care to purchase a kit as similar as possible to the original to have the greatest chance of successful integration". I've underclocked/overclocked and changed the different voltage settings but that didn't help. Perhaps you have another suggestion?

yes, greatest chance of successful integration. not a guarantee they will work together unfortunately.

for the record we do not suggest or support mixing memory and it would be best to replace what you have now with a new set that is the density you want to run in your system.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

I recently decided to upgrade my low RAM system from 2x2GB CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 with an additional two modules, with the same part number. Upon installing these in the two free blue memory slots the computer wouldn't post. I then tried them in the ports where I had my original two working modules, still the same result.

I left the new modules here and reset CMOS using the jumper (Asus M4A785TD-M EVO) at which point the computer does start. When I try adding my old modules to the free slots the same thing happens again and I'm stuck with my original problem.

BIOS is set to DDR1333 with default timings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you still not getting it to work?

As Synthohol has said, mixing RAM kits is not a good idea. i've seen countless posts in the ASUS Republic of Gamers Forums about members having problems with mixing kits of RAM...even matching kits. Some poeple get it to work, a lot don't. You have 2 options

1. Buy a new 16GB Kit - Make sure it's Dual Channel of course :)

2. Follow these directions and see how you go:

1. Put one of the 2 kits into your Motherboard - make sure the serial numbers match in series for a greater chance of having this work.

2. Move the CLRCMOS jumper over to pins 2 & 3 to reset your BIOS, then place jumper back on pins 1 & 2.

3. Boot your system and get into your BIOS

4. Scroll down the main page and click on DRAM.Timing Control

5. Make sure all the timings are set to AUTO.

6. Save and exit then shut down your system.

7. Insert the 2nd kit into your Motherboard and then boot up

8. If you manage to successfully boot, get back into BIOS

9. Scroll down the main page and set your DRAM Frequency to 1600

10. Save, exit and reboot

11. Enjoy your extra RAM :)

If you are able to boot and pass POST after this, you've obviously gotten it going and if you know how to mess around with the timings you can play with them, if not go to an OverClocker's site and look it up, or, go to the ASUS Republic of Gamers Forums and learn there from the guides by Raja.

Good luck and let us know how you go :)

Archived