Jump to content
Corsair Community

Smelling HX620


jaume98

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

Some weeks ago I noticied a burned like smell coming from my Corsair HX620 power supply. It resembles an smell coming from an electric air heater or dryer.

 

I checked the PSU and it looks clean, there is no visible smoke, and it seems to work fine. Anyway I'm a bit worried about it.

 

Could you please give some advice?

 

The PSU was purchased in October 2008 and has been working without problems since then.

 

Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I checked wires and fans without success.

 

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the smell source is inside the PSU. I can smell it from the PSU exhaust (also when switched off), and I can't from the case exhaust.

 

I think that If there is a burnt wire must be inside the PSU.

 

Thanks again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

 

Today I received a brand new HX650 in exchange of my faulty HX620.

 

It cost me about 30 € to send it from Barcelona (Spain) to Corsair (The Netherlands).

 

I'm very pleased! :)

 

Thanks a lot.

 

PS: Meanwhile I purchased an other Corsair PSU. I Think, I became a loyal Corsair customer. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Is this something that just showed up Robert?

 

If it is I would suggest the same for you. Have it replaced.

 

Just use the link on the left to request an RMA.

 

BTW About the "sparks" It's not uncommon for those rocker type switches to make a spark when the PSU is turned on or off. If you shut the lights off with the system off. You could try turning the rocker switch on and you might see a small flash. But it't shouldn't be so large that it actually sparks, just a small flash of light is all you see if anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

I'll join this thread as well. My PSU started to smell today like previously described.

Tried to clean it with compressed air to get all the dust out but no change.

Can't lay my hand on the PSU while it's running, gets to hot. The fan is spinning thou.

The PSU was bought in 2009-Oct-28 and been nothing but perfect till now.

Should I as well do the RMA?

 

Ps. excuse my English and broken keyboard if lack of letters should occur

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

I think it is safe to say that if you smell burnt plastic you should do two things right away.

 

1. stop using the power supply, if it shorts out it could damage more than just the power supply and if it sparks and your not there it could possibly start a fire.

 

2. start the RMA process.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...