Corsair Community

H80i on I7 930

SnippO

Hello all,

i have installed the liquid cooling system for the second time on my i7 930 (lga1366) but the temperature seems to be too high; my cpu is at default clock 2.8ghz (turbo boost and all other cpu features disabled) and i get 37° in idle that jumps near to 50° during game session.

In the first installation i got stuck because wobbling backplate and the waterblock wasn't enough pushed on the CPU.

Next days i'll post some shots to explain how i fixed the wobbling backplate (i'm wating for better thermal paste so i'll remount all for the third time :) )

Also is it normal that often at startup the pump starts rattling for 30 seconds and the led colour is resetted???

I'm powering the pump with an adapter molex 4pin ==> SATA

Please let me know some suggestions about.

Regards

i have installed the liquid cooling system for the second time on my i7 930 (lga1366) but the temperature seems to be too high; my cpu is at default clock 2.8ghz (turbo boost and all other cpu features disabled) and i get 37° in idle that jumps near to 50° during game session.

50 during gaming is great. The socket 1366CPU idled a little on the high side anyway. Mine runs about 35-37 without my OC. With my OC it idles about 40.

In the first installation i got stuck because wobbling backplate and the waterblock wasn't enough pushed on the CPU.

Was the back plate wobbling before or after you tightened the pump head down? It should be loose until the pump is tightened down and then it should snug up.

thanks peanuts for the reply,

i attach a screenshot about my idle temps.

For the wobbling backplate i hadn't possibilities to tight more the tumbscrews, so i added 4 rubber washers + 4 metal washers until the double sided screws fixed perfectly to the mainboard.

temp.zip

here some pics about my solution for the wobbling backplate and final result!

Also changed original fans with 2 sp120 high performance connected to the h80i with the Y cable + 2 resistors 7 volt and used better thermal paste on the CPU.

Unfortunately at startup i often get rattling noise from the pump for 30 seconds then all ok!

796769117_LIKEABOSS.thumb.jpg.dc85adc5cc216a0fcc0855283f7f3375.jpg

IMG_0091.thumb.JPG.a69f29146f0a1e3146cd127cdbde336a.JPG

IMG_0092.thumb.JPG.f0886444c512c1da81d9ba306e254384.JPG

• Corsair Employees
Unfortunately at startup i often get rattling noise from the pump for 30 seconds then all ok!

That's a bit strange. How loud is the rattle? Are you certain that it is coming from the pump and not from the fans or somewhere else?

i get the rattle noise with the 2 original fans and with a couple of sp120 high performance so i don't think about fans problem in fact when the problem appears at startup, the h80i seems to reset itself (led on the pump change the color that i saved before OS shut down).

After OS boots up, corsair link software restore my led/fan speed settings.

About the backplate i must use it with washers because without it i can't secure the thumbscrew that keeps the pump in position (the screws are fully tightened but not enough pressure on the CPU, so higher temperatures).

Keep in mind that the original heatsink of my cpu is fixed on the pcb like my backplate now :biggrin:

SnippO

The picture called "Like a Boss".jpg shows the slotted section of your backing plate being in the wrong place. The backing plate is sitting on top of the CPU motherboard CPU support plate rivets. Two of the rivets sit inside the notched area. Reposition the backing plate and you will see it sit flush to the support bracket. No need for washers.

The step to position the backing plate is not in the installation manual.

Reposition the backing plate and you will see it sit flush to the support bracket. No need for washers.

Can you kindly modify my attachment to show me what are you meaning?

I cant understand what to do.

Thanks a lot.

the image you're saying is about 1155 CPU backplate that has 2 high rivets.

In my case (1366 socket) there are no rivets, so i can rotate the H80i backplate in every direction and all the washers keeps the same height!

Archived